How many of you are using the DJI 16GB sdcard for 4k?????

Can someone run a benchmark on that Panasonic card? We're all arguing here about write/read speeds without knowing the specs on it. All we know are the specs on the Lexar cards.

Can someone run a benchmark on that Panasonic card?
See the first post in this thread. The benchmark shows it's more than sufficient.

So some people are super mad that they think they got cheated on their $1500 dollar drone purchase because the $15 pack in starter card isn't quite fast enough for 4K. I have recorded on my the 16GB included card ( a Lexar ). It recorded just fine in 4K. However at 4K your going to run out of space at 30 minutes of recording. I did what many have done and spent $30 and got a 64GB.

So some people are super mad that they think they got cheated on their $1500 dollar drone purchase because the $15 pack in starter card isn't quite fast enough for 4K.
Anyone who is super mad is super mistaken. The starter cards are plenty fast.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Those are excellent cards, also sandisk and samsung, you got lucky compared to I....
My one P3P that came with the 16GB Panasonic card had the same download speed as the Lexar 633x of 95 Mbs.

So some people are super mad that they think they got cheated on their $1500 dollar drone purchase because the $15 pack in starter card isn't quite fast enough for 4K. I have recorded on my the 16GB included card ( a Lexar ). It recorded just fine in 4K. However at 4K your going to run out of space at 30 minutes of recording. I did what many have done and spent $30 and got a 64GB.
Nope. I have full 4K recorded throughout on 29 minute flights, and the 4th file on the 16GB 633x Lexar card, of the 4GB chunks, is still only half used. You will never exceed the capacity of the original 16 GB card in a single flight. You also should be replacing your card after every flight, so you never lose video from a previous flight, if the aircraft is not recovered. No need for anything larger than 16GB on the P3P or P4, even with a battery mod.

Last edited:
If you happened to get the panasonic sdcard, you will likely run into 4k video/pic anomalies somewhere down the line if not already.
Set it aside and spend around $30 and get yourself a 64GB, 4k certified card from a mainstream memory manufacturer, sandisk, samsung, lexar(crutial).

If you got the Lexar you should be in fine shape, go buy yourself a lottery ticket.....
The 16GB 633x Lexar cards, including a USB 3.0 card reader, are $9.99 at B&H! Get a half dozen, and be done with it. You'll also have 5 extra USB 3.0 microSD card readers to give to all your drone friends for Xmas!:D

It appears to me that most all microSD cards should work fine since they can all write much more the a mere 10MB/sec. I have never noticed any difference with the DJI cards versus the other 32GB and 64GB cards that I've bought from Samsung and SanDisk. They all work just fine. The H.264 compression in the bird camera is designed to run at a certain max speed, and I'm sure the chip DJI selected for that is well defined in the chip manufacturers datasheet at 60Mb/sec (7.5MB/sec), so there's no interpretation or fudge room. This speed is also typical for point and shoot cameras, likely due to similar compression chips in this price range. As others have mentioned, if you're using a more expensive Nikon or Canon camera that can write much faster, the speed of the flash may be more important to an extent that you would see difference in the resulting playback of video. However, I don't see flash speed as an issue with P3 or P4 cameras, every UHS1 Class 10 micro SD I've bought at Costco or Amazon works great. I happen to prefer 32GB size, enough for 5 to 6 flights (1080@60fps). They only cost $10/ea. IMO, 64GB is too big, holding too much video that would be bad if something happened to the one chip. I like keeping my videos spread out over multiple chips for less risk.
One chip per flight. Rinse and repeat. :D

Nope. I have full 4K recorded throughout on 29 minute flights, and the 4th file on the 16GB 633x Lexar card, of the 4GB chunks, is still only half used. You will never exceed the capacity of the original 16 GB card in a single flight. You also should be replacing your card after every flight, so you never lose video from a previous flight, if the aircraft is not recovered. No need for anything larger than 16GB on the P3P or P4, even with a battery mod.

Hmmm on mine I had only recorded 18 minutes of video and it was over half full. I do like your idea of just getting a ton of 16GB cards and using one for every flight so you don't risk losing footage if your bird dies. Saves you from either risking having all your video on one card and you don't have to bring a laptop with you to clear space off a card if it gets full. One card per flight makes it easy to keep track.

I was surprised to find a Sandisk ultra 16gb inside my p3s. First thing I did was take that out and put in my Sandisk extreme 32gb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I already had 32 GB chip for my GoPro. Switched out.
Also one think we have to watch just like in the previous Phantom Vision.
When the flight is done, we can't just turn off the copter.
First need to stop the recording, otherwise the video file can be damaged.

Hmmm on mine I had only recorded 18 minutes of video and it was over half full. I do like your idea of just getting a ton of 16GB cards and using one for every flight so you don't risk losing footage if your bird dies. Saves you from either risking having all your video on one card and you don't have to bring a laptop with you to clear space off a card if it gets full. One card per flight makes it easy to keep track.
Exactly! Complete 26 minute flight tonight in 4K 24fps on my 16GB 633x Lexar microSD card and only used 3/4 of the third 4GB chunk, leaving about 5 GB still free! One 16GB card per flight, and you'll never fill it, even with a battery mod! The cards were $9.99 each on B&H last week.

Reactions: llindeen
I already had 32 GB chip for my GoPro. Switched out.
Also one think we have to watch just like in the previous Phantom Vision.
When the flight is done, we can't just turn off the copter.
First need to stop the recording, otherwise the video file can be damaged.
If that should ever happen, just put the battery and card back in and turn on the battery. It will properly close the files and recover them.:cool:

Reactions: Artur H

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20