How long till the word FLYAWAY disappears this time?

Reaction score
With the release of a new bird the p3 this time the dreaded word FLYAWAY comes back as it normally does and I'm sure it's going to be a tradition every year. I think we should start bets every year to see when the word disappears. It's normally when new pilots realise that it's all been mainly a myth in their heads.
I say start of August this year we should see some peace from the word but of course it will be briefly back at the end of December with the next round of new pilots and by then the new p3 pilots of now will probably start to get it.
What I'm really trying to do is get the message across to new p3 owners to get the word out of your head, you won't have a flyaway if you read the manual a few times, make sure you understand it and then every 2 weeks or so read it again. Get a preflight check list together so you don't forget something simple like your home lock, rth height etc....
that's actually something we haven't seen with the p3, last time round people were falling over themselves to try and outdo the next guys checklist and everyone was making one, might not be a bad idea for someone to make one?
Just take your time and enjoy droning :)

Reactions: clkilljoy
I don't understand why someone hasn't done it yet. All the new fliers last year were only way to eager to do it even getting all these little stickers for their tx and even making checklist apps, it was nuts.

I've seen checklists on this this forum, and they are quite good. IMHO, the majority of fly aways are losing GPS and not knowing how to fly it.

That happened to me the very first night of P3. On top of that the wind shifted and gusted. It flew away, but X5C practice allowed me to land safely. If all you know is GPS, you are doomed.

Edit: I should add that practice with the bird coming at you and reacting without thinking that right stick makes it go left etc.

With the release of a new bird the p3 this time the dreaded word FLYAWAY comes back as it normally does and I'm sure it's going to be a tradition every year. I think we should start bets every year to see when the word disappears. It's normally when new pilots realise that it's all been mainly a myth in their heads.
I say start of August this year we should see some peace from the word but of course it will be briefly back at the end of December with the next round of new pilots and by then the new p3 pilots of now will probably start to get it.
What I'm really trying to do is get the message across to new p3 owners to get the word out of your head, you won't have a flyaway if you read the manual a few times, make sure you understand it and then every 2 weeks or so read it again. Get a preflight check list together so you don't forget something simple like your home lock, rth height etc....
that's actually something we haven't seen with the p3, last time round people were falling over themselves to try and outdo the next guys checklist and everyone was making one, might not be a bad idea for someone to make one?
Just take your time and enjoy droning :)
I suggested that a newbie author of another thread remove 'Flyaway' from his subject - it was not a flyaway at all as he was proudly showing his videos...oddly, I was soundly vilified for my suggestion - strange....

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic