How is the best way to convert a box or bag into a drone case??

I suppose if you are a do-it-yourself type, you could try filling a box using can of minimally-expanding insulation foam, cover the box with something flat, let the foam solidify, and then start cutting out the shapes you need for drone and accessories.

You would likely need a bunch of cans of expanding spray foam (insulation) to fill a box large enough to fit a Phantom. At $5 per can, that's not only time consuming and expensive, you'll likely get less than ideal results. If you choose to go that route, you would spray a thin base layer, let that dry completely, wrap your Phantom in a sealed bag and place it on the foam layer, then spray additional foam around it to a suitable level. Let that dry completely and carefully remove the drone. The problem you may run into is, the foam will expand anywhere it can and may creep into unwanted areas around the camera and landing gear unless you block those areas. A better idea would be to buy some medium density (2 lb.) urethane foam sheeting, like 2" thick, and cut out a cavity to fit around the Phantom. Again, time consuming but probably less expensive than the spray foam, and your results should be a bit better. My best suggestion would be to spend $35 - 40 on eBay for a case that is designed and ready-made to fit your particular Phantom model. That may be more $$ than you planned to spend but, in the end, it's a custom solution at a price that may well be less expensive than options #1 or 2 above. The end product will certainly be far better. I've purchased hardshell cases for both my P3S and P4, and they're an affordable protection solution for me. Good luck with whichever way you go.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neon Euc
Some folks might take the approach of spraying a lot of foam into a container, setting the wrapped drone into the foam, and letting the foam expand around the drone. Unless you have some experience working with expandable foam in confined spaces, that's often easier said than done. You may wind up with your drone encased in foam and having to dig it out, which ruins your mold. There are packaging companies which specialize in foam-in-place packaging (what we're talking about here) who could make you a foam mold, but the cost for that could be more than a ready-made case. The one thing I forgot to mention is that spray foam molds aren't designed/intended for repeated use. You get a limited number of reuses out of a mold before it starts to deteriorate. Certainly not for long-term use.

Last edited:
After reading so many stories about losing props. I wanted a box where I didn’t have to remove them. Granted, this is a bit bulky, but serves my purpose. $12 Lowe’s. Another $15 in foam. I attached two hooks in the bottom to strap it down. Now I can put everything in one box, AC, controller, iPad, other camera equipment, and leave the props on.

Attachments

• IMG_0084.jpg
    IMG_0084.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 396
Reactions: MapMaker53
After reading so many stories about losing props. I wanted a box where I didn’t have to remove them. Granted, this is a bit bulky, but serves my purpose. $12 Lowe’s. Another $15 in foam. I attached two hooks in the bottom to strap it down. Now I can put everything in one box, AC, controller, iPad, other camera equipment, and leave the props on.

As long as one doesn't mind the extra size, that looks like a pretty good solution. Also, if you can find just the right sized/shaped case, a Phantom can be stored in a fairly small case with the props still on. It just has to be slightly wider than the drone, with the props pointing straight up and down. Then, it'll be a bit taller than it is wide. I don't know if there's any out there on the market, but I'm pretty sure this could be done and kept backpack sized.

I was always just worried about having some unwanted pressure on the mounted props once you close the lids: storage and transport like that can’t be good for the props, the motor mounts, or the motors themselves. It’d really have to be done right to protect all that AND hold the bird securely.

I've tried this both ways, it's pretty hard to beat the "store bought" cases versus one made at home....It does pay to watch the prices and be ready to buy when the "iron is hot". I'm pretty happy with the aluminum case I bought ($80 Amazon) and everything fits in there just like it way made for it. (DUH)
I don't have to remove my props but I do (CF) anyway just "because".

After reading so many stories about losing props. I wanted a box where I didn’t have to remove them. Granted, this is a bit bulky, but serves my purpose. $12 Lowe’s. Another $15 in foam.

You're up to $27.00, and only $12 more will get you a decent case where you can leave your props on. I bought an extra one
last month.
ebay.bought98.jpg

Reactions: 3putts
Go ahead and fill a box with any kind of expanding foam you want and I can almost guarantee you'll NEVER use that drone again.

I had a friend that bought a P3 for his son a couple of years ago and he did exactly that. He brought the plastic case, with the drone inside, encased in expanded foam that he'd already spent three and a half hours trying to extricate the drone from.

That foam got EVERYWHERE under the drone, between the landing gear, and in around the gimble and just about every place that you wouldn't want the foam to go. It just LOCKED that drone solidly in place. Even if you were to put the drone in a plastic bag, the pressure of the foam expanding will still push that foam into places that would make it almost impossible to free the drone from.

Since I couldn't help him he took it back home and a few days later told me that he did get it out of the foam, but it was a huge chore, and the case is a mess.

So, if you go that route, good luck!!

Bud

Go ahead and fill a box with any kind of expanding foam you want and I can almost guarantee you'll NEVER use that drone again.

I had a friend that bought a P3 for his son a couple of years ago and he did exactly that. He brought the plastic case, with the drone inside, encased in expanded foam that he'd already spent three and a half hours trying to extricate the drone from.

That foam got EVERYWHERE under the drone, between the landing gear, and in around the gimble and just about every place that you wouldn't want the foam to go. It just LOCKED that drone solidly in place. Even if you were to put the drone in a plastic bag, the pressure of the foam expanding will still push that foam into places that would make it almost impossible to free the drone from.

Since I couldn't help him he took it back home and a few days later told me that he did get it out of the foam, but it was a huge chore, and the case is a mess.

So, if you go that route, good luck!!

Bud
There’s ways to do it.... that ain’t it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie