How far

Reaction score
do you have to travel for worry free flying. If you are in the country you probably have more options. I live in suburban Fort Worth. And have to find a spot for flying that is almost always by freeways, schools, stores etc.

I fly in the city, around the city, through the city.

I'm fortunate and live right on the edge of countryside. I travel about 5 mins and I've got about 26 square miles of open grass and heathland to fly on. With lakes ponds, quarry and river which also helps when looking for somewhere to fly and video thats not just fields.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: QuadcopterCrazy
I step out my back door...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Techcop50
I'm fortunate and live right on the edge of countryside. I travel about 5 mins and I've got about 26 square miles of open grass and heathland to fly on. With lakes ponds, quarry and river which also helps when looking for somewhere to fly and video thats not just fields.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using PhantomPilots mobile app
I go about 5 miles and ive got 250 miles of open plains lol, no big towns till about 250 miles, one good thing about being in South Dakota.

That and fracking, and Minuteman silos....

That and fracking, and Minuteman silos....
Most if not all minute man silos in South Dakota have been retired. And as far as fracking is concerned that's North Dakota not South Dakota.

Attachments

• FrackingUSA800px.jpg
    FrackingUSA800px.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
You guys are real fortunate. I've been lucky in that nobody here has asked me to stop flying. Most of the open fields here have fences around them meaning that they are private property. Although some are so big there is no possible way they would know I was flying on it. Unless they were driving on the same road I just happened to be on. Guess its always a possibility. Here is a pic of the field behind the house. Long but narrow

And a pic of the church across the street.

All airspace not restricted by government is open to flight. Private property owners have to request that you don't fly over their property in writing. As long as you obey max altitude rules, don't harass, obstruct or otherwise make a *** of yourself, there is mostly nothing anyone can do to stop you from enjoying your drone.

All airspace not restricted by government is open to flight. Private property owners have to request that you don't fly over their property in writing. As long as you obey max altitude rules, don't harass, obstruct or otherwise make a *** of yourself, there is mostly nothing anyone can do to stop you from enjoying your drone.
You say that but who really wants to tell a pissed off home owner that he needs to get it in writing first? I mean would you rather get punched in the face or fly over someones property? People see drones as invasion of privacy even if you can't see in their windows so while you say they can't do anything about it, yeah they can they could harass you or become violent. Personally I avoid any places that might make people think im spying on them.

I understand the situation and have had incidents of confronting home owner that questioned my legal ability to fly over his home. I calmly offered to show him the footage and flight path taken to let him know I wasn't being a creepy Joe and was in control of my drone. As long as you are in compliance with FAA rules, you are in the right. If someone questions your flying over their property, offer them footage of it burned to a DVD that they can have. Don't charge for it unless you hold a commercial drone permit. They might like having a video record of their property.

The guy that posted just above you, that's who you were replying to I think. If you look he's from TX, and if I'm not mistaken they have a law in TX that it is not legal to fly over private property without permission. Could be wrong, but I remember a guy from TX posting that very thing.

I'm very familiar with Fort Worth having lived in the area my whole life.

Benbrook Lake area offers tons of options for flying.

I'd doubt if any TCC campus cops would care much if you flew on a day with no classes.

Be very aware of the Meacham and JRB class D airspaces wherever you fly though. It's highly likely that you're intruding on their airspace if you're flying anywhere west of 35.

The guy that posted just above you, that's who you were replying to I think. If you look he's from TX, and if I'm not mistaken they have a law in TX that it is not legal to fly over private property without permission. Could be wrong, but I remember a guy from TX posting that very thing.
I thought this conversation took place a long time ago - and we concluded that the states, counties, cities, and towns have no authority over the NAS. IIRC, somebody proposed that they might possibly be given authority some day for a certain minimum height, such as 100 feet or 200 feet, but it was just conjecture.

I thought this conversation took place a long time ago - and we concluded that the states, counties, cities, and towns have no authority over the NAS. IIRC, somebody proposed that they might possibly be given authority some day for a certain minimum height, such as 100 feet or 200 feet, but it was just conjecture.
This is what I was meaning, see web page below. I had it a bit wrong, it was regarding talking an image of private land or person on that land w/o their permission that's illegal in TX., not the flight itself. Quote from this article "In Texas, the primary concern with drone operation appears to be devices which are capable of capturing images or video in flight without the consent of the individuals featured in the media. Generally speaking, taking images without consent to conduct surveillance is generally a crime." But sometimes you have to be a lawyer to read between the lines.
Drone Laws in Texas | Texas Criminal Defense Attorneys

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers