How far

Reaction score
Hi guy's,
Ok I am considering flying my p4 over a long distance (14350 feet). Iv done just over 10,000 feet over water but this new mission is over land. My question is has anyone ever flew this distance and would it be recommended i.e would the battery last that distance.

P.s 14350 feet is one way :)

Yes.... you may get over twice that. Check out the distance threads for detail of what is possible. Best speed for max distance is pretty much flat stick.

For a P3 optimum speed for distance is about 14 mm/s..

Last edited:
Reactions: bumblebee14
I assume this is one-way which would make the overall flight ~29,000'? This is a piece of cake for a P4 just be mindful of wind speed & direction. In mild winds I routinely fly 38,000' & return with ~30-33% battery remaining. The same flight with 10 mph winds returns @ ~27%. If the winds are very calm you can fly 45,000-50,000' but that will put you near the battery limit. This requires a flight speed of 30-31 mph.

Hi guy's,
Ok I am considering flying my p4 over a long distance (14350 feet). Iv done just over 10,000 feet over water but this new mission is over land. My question is has anyone ever flew this distance and would it be recommended i.e would the battery last that distance.

P.s 14350 feet is one way :)

Last edited:
Hi thanks for the replies, the reason I kinda asked is because when I flew just over the 10,000 ft and back again the battery was showing just over 30% and that was flat calm but I did have it at full throttle, not sport mode just to add. Should I cut the throttle right back and is height an advantage also.
Thanks

Won't be no problem at all. ESP if my P3A can do it then I know your one can no problems
3ccf656c951dd7fa84071a6fb2446459.jpg

Sent from my Power using PhantomPilots mobile app

I flew over 12000 feet one way, yesterday, over a lake. Completely stock, no modded attenna or windsurfers. The drone became just a speck of white dot. I turned it around but I am sure it could probably go another 2000 feet before I had to return home, due to battery on return flight. I turned around because I got worried, I couldn't see it anymore and I saw some birds in the video feet. Was afraid they may attack the drone without me knowing (lack of sight). That would of course send the drone into the water lol

Reactions: bumblebee14
I flew over 12000 feet one way, yesterday, over a lake. Completely stock, no modded attenna or windsurfers. The drone became just a speck of white dot. I turned it around but I am sure it could probably go another 2000 feet before I had to return home, due to battery on return flight. I turned around because I got worried, I couldn't see it anymore and I saw some birds in the video feet. Was afraid they may attack the drone without me knowing (lack of sight). That would of course send the drone into the water lol
Wow thats taking a chance

Wow thats taking a chance
You say that now. Your position will vary when you become more familiar with the capabilities and performance characteristics of the AC and your experience builds. The most important component is forethought in planning to ensure a total failure of the AC will not present risk to animals, people or property.

You say that now. Your position will vary when you become more familiar with the capabilities and performance characteristics of the AC and your experience builds. The most important component is forethought in planning to ensure a total failure of the AC will not present risk to animals, people or property.
Your totally 100% right, safety first

I assume this is one-way which would make the overall flight ~29,000'? This is a piece of cake for a P4 just be mindful of wind speed & direction. In mild winds I routinely fly 38,000' & return with ~30-33% battery remaining. The same flight with 10 mph winds returns @ ~27%. If the winds are very calm you can fly 45,000-50,000' but that will put you near the battery limit. This requires a flight speed of 30-31 mph.
hey bud I've seen a lot of your posts and love the vids you produce, do you stay in p mode with front sensors off and about 3/4 stick forward to keep same speed? or do you go sport mode and watch the rpm gauge more trying to stay a constant 5,ooorpm's ? I had my longest flight tonight in prime conditions with no wind, made it out to 19,577 before I hit the RTH myself and it showed 68% battery and landed with 32% , looks like I could've went a hair further and beat my buddies P3P record of 20,995ft....

Thanks. I never used OA on my P4. 22 mph was too slow for my tastes. I pretty much flew it as you stated trying to maintain ~30 mph for best battery efficiency. The flight computer is conservative in its battery estimates. If you are flying into the wind on the way out you can push it several thousand feet beyond the warning & still make it back easily once you turn around & have the wind at your back.

hey bud I've seen a lot of your posts and love the vids you produce, do you stay in p mode with front sensors off and about 3/4 stick forward to keep same speed? or do you go sport mode and watch the rpm gauge more trying to stay a constant 5,ooorpm's ? I had my longest flight tonight in prime conditions with no wind, made it out to 19,577 before I hit the RTH myself and it showed 68% battery and landed with 32% , looks like I could've went a hair further and beat my buddies P3P record of 20,995ft....

DB will likely chime back with the benefit of his experience however I will say your Initialising RTH to return would have provided less battery reserve than flying yourself. Default RTH speed is well below optimum for maximum efficiency.

Agreed. During RTH you can apply right forward stick to increase the RTH speed from the slow 22 mph normal to a more battery efficient 30-31 mph.

DB will likely chime back with the benefit of his experience however I will say your Initialising RTH to return would have provided less battery reserve than flying yourself. Default RTH speed is well below optimum for maximum efficiency.

when I hit the RTH I give it a little on the return flight to keep speed 26-27mph , I use the RTH function to give me the straight shot back and then I can concentrate on keeping stick a steady speed, still learning a lot about distance and what it takes to get to a to b and what amount of battery is used ...fear held me back tonight , I got scared...plain ans simple, but I was happy with my distance, my buddy couldn't believe I didn't go for it..lol

Agreed. During RTH you can apply right forward stick to increase the RTH speed from the slow 22 mph normal to a more battery efficient 30-31 mph.
I knew you'd be on this one Mate... LOL. I thought I'd throw it in as I have been in circumstances more than once where relying on RTH I'm almost certain it would have lost my AC. It was always wind that caught me out. Now I fly in ATTI and see what direction and speed I'm drifting off the sticks at the planned flight altitude when things may be a little tight. It has payed off. Things can be a lot different 50+m up than they seem on the ground.

when I hit the RTH I give it a little on the return flight to keep speed 26-27mph , I use the RTH function to give me the straight shot back and then I can concentrate on keeping stick a steady speed, still learning a lot about distance and what it takes to get to a to b and what amount of battery is used ...fear held me back tonight , I got scared...plain ans simple, but I was happy with my distance, my buddy couldn't believe I didn't go for it..lol
Stick to your gut and comfort level rather than what your buddy might think you or your equipment may be comfortable with. It will serve you well. Unless of course the buddy next to you was DB or someone with real life experience in the distance game.

Reactions: Bckmstr
yep that's exactly what I do, I don't let the razzing get to me or take me out of my comfort level just to see if it will go further, NO MATTER WHAT...in time it will come....just amazed at what this thing can do...thanks With The Birds

yep that's exactly what I do, I don't let the razzing get to me or take me out of my comfort level just to see if it will go further, NO MATTER WHAT...in time it will come....just amazed at what this thing can do...thanks With The Birds
I have seen, more often than I can recount and usually with expensive RC helis the aftermath where the person doing the egging on is in fits of laughter while the novice pilot and proud owner of the AC is putting all the prices they can recover in a box.

Reactions: Neon Euc

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31