How does one calibrate the IMU?

I did my first flight with my P4 yesterday. I didn't know anything about IMU calibration as this is the first time I've flown a Phantom. I seem to remember that I was good to go (green) almost immediately after connecting my controller to my aircraft.

The horizon looked practically straight through the camera and I didn't see any issues. I'm inclined not to calibrate unless I see a reason to.

View attachment 47842
I agree, you can also check the IMU status on the Go app and see the readings. Only do IMU if it won't hover in place or warm up time is too long.

Put your phantom in the refrigerator and then do your IMU calibration while it's still cold. No joke, I know it sounds weird, but it works. The IMU waits until it gets to the same temperature it was at when calibrated. If you did it while warm it can take quite a while. Mine literally takes two seconds to "warm up" because it's always warmer than when I calibrated.
never put in a fridge, it will send moisture to the warm parts in the phantom
cool is slow with dry aircon in ya mota

never put in a fridge, it will send moisture to the warm parts in the phantom
cool is slow with dry aircon in ya mota

The opposite is actually the problem. The relative humidity in the fridge will usually be lower than outside the fridge, but in any case, since the surfaces in the fridge are colder than the Phantom, any condensation that might occur will happen preferentially on the colder fridge surfaces.

The probem arises when the cold Phantom is removed from the fridge to the higher relative humidity of the surroundings - at this point, condensation may take place on/in the Phantom.

Reactions: chris digata
I did my first flight with my P4 yesterday. I didn't know anything about IMU calibration as this is the first time I've flown a Phantom. I seem to remember that I was good to go (green) almost immediately after connecting my controller to my aircraft.

The horizon looked practically straight through the camera and I didn't see any issues. I'm inclined not to calibrate unless I see a reason to.

View attachment 47842
I am sure that they probably do an IMU calibration at the factory, so unless it really got bumped around in transit, it is probably OK. If you are in a fairly warm temp, it probably will not take a lot of warm up time. But here, out in 30 degree air, it was taking at least 2 minutes from startup. So I too would suggest the refrigerator for 30 minutes, followed by an immediate IMU Calibration and you will be good to go for the duration.
The P4 is a really great flying bird. It beats my P3 all to pieces, in so many ways, but the P3 is still a great flier as well.

I noticed on the flights I have done the compass asks to be calibrated EVERY TIME! And my flights have been no more than a couple of miles apart and away from any metallic or radio interference. If you read the DJI P4 manual it says you should calibrate the compass ON EVERY FLIGHT, it's part of the pre-flight check list.

I'm yet to do an IMU calibration as the Phantom has not asked for it nor is the aircrafts behaviour calling for it. Warmup time was about 15-20 secs today.

I noticed on the flights I have done the compass asks to be calibrated EVERY TIME! And my flights have been no more than a couple of miles apart and away from any metallic or radio interference. If you read the DJI P4 manual it says you should calibrate the compass ON EVERY FLIGHT, it's part of the pre-flight check list.

I'm yet to do an IMU calibration as the Phantom has not asked for it nor is the aircrafts behaviour calling for it. Warmup time was about 15-20 secs today.

The manual does not say that - it says "Only calibrate the compass when the DJI GO app or the status indicator prompt you to do so" (p.51). And it is not on the pre-flight checklist (p.50).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20