How can I fly at a small airport hanger with permission?

Reaction score
Wanting a buddy of mine that has his 107 to fly some video of me shooting portraits of a kid with his airplane with my P4P at a smallish airport that is Class D space. It's obviously in The Red Zone. Will Litchi let you fire up and fly there? And this is of course with airport verbal ok btw. I tried to take off from less than a half mile from this same airport and could not figure out the unlock process in the field real quick. I called the tower on a heli radio that night. They were totally cool with me flying for a given amount of time as well. How can I get this done with my P4P?

DJI can unlock certain NFZ's with permission.
DJI's website - DJI GEO System - Unlock Areas For Authorized Access
Thanks LuvMyTJ! I got it work just now on my computer here at the house. I was trying to put dashes in my phone number and it would not take it. LOL. So no way to unlock a Red Zone with any app at all right??? So no way I could fly around this hanger then right?

Thats not gonna help with the bird not starting up in a Red Zone though Techcop50. I'm trying to see if it's possible to work around the red zone. DJI won't let you start the bird in one. I would be getting direct permission from the airport too btw. I'm wanting to fly just outside hangers most likely or out on pavement taxi area. This is a small recreational and small charter airport. But big enough to have a mile and half of RED Zone around it.

Reactions: P4PCommander
Only if you tell them you have permission.....nothing is written in stone! you can tell a lie and they unlock it without checking anything......It makes the whole system WORTHLESS!
Yeah I would have direct permission from the airport before I do it. And I would also have a 107 pilot there on the scene too. But I still don't think this helps me at all. Because I'm not seeing anywhere where you can unlock a Red Zone Airport with DJI. Does anyone know if Litchi is the same as far as a Red Zone goes? Will bird take off using Litchi in a Red Zone?

According to DJI, in order to unlock a RED zone, you must email [email protected]. Be prepared to provide written permission to fly within that area. For Part 107 pilots, the FAA requires an airspace authorization/waiver. I'm sure this is what DJI will require. I understand the regulation states "with ATC permission" which does allow for verbal authorization from a control tower. But the FAA doesn't really like that and has instructed towers to not authorize flights by phone call. If you got the local tower manager to write you a letter, I'm sure that would suffice as well. Just keep in mind the local airport is going against an FAA mandate by issuing a local clearance instead of going thru the centralized form system.

DJI RED ZONE instructions at the bottom of this page: DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

Part 107 pilots should NOT contact the tower: Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions

Can I contact my local air traffic control tower or facility directly to request airspace permission?
No. All airspace permission requests must be made through the online portal.

Reactions: KevMo Photog

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164