How do you set altitude ceilings for P3?

Reaction score
New member here. I was wondering how you set altitude ceilings on the P3 Pilot software (app)? Also was wondering can I put my iPhone 6 in airplane mode and keep WiFi on to fly uninterrupted? Do you need cell signal to fly? Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Aaron :)

New member here. I was wondering how you set altitude ceilings on the P3 Pilot software (app)? Also was wondering can I put my iPhone 6 in airplane mode and keep WiFi on to fly uninterrupted? Do you need cell signal to fly? Any help is greatly appreciated.

You don't need Wifi or cell service to fly, the data pass by the USB cable, i would strongly advise that you turn off Wifi, because it can create interference, to change the ceiling the option is pretty easy to find when you surf the options of DJI pilot, its under the Phantom image Tab, but i keep mine at 120m, and i don't see why i would need to go over 100m anyway. Im 3 Miles from an airport also, and i tested high altitude shots in another area before from my p2 and they don't look as nice as shots from under 100m(more details).

Last edited:

Hi, this shows you how to set up the DJI app and settings, as far as I am aware you do not need a cell signal to fly the Phantom 3. Someone on here will correct me or offer better advise.
I am a newbie myself. Hope this helps you.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: PhotoGuyAaron
Thank you for your advice. I am going to set a 200 FT ceiling. Did you mean turn OFF WiFi?
You don't need Wifi or cell service to fly, the data pass by the USB cable, i would strongly advise that you turn on Wifi, because it can create interference, to change the ceiling the option is pretty easy to find when you surf the options of DJI pilot, its under the Phantom image Tab, but i keep mine at 120m, and i don't see why i would need to go over 100m anyway. Im 3 Miles from an airport also, and i tested high altitude shots in another area before from my p2 and they don't look as nice as shots from under 100m(more details).

Hi, this shows you how to set up the DJI app and settings, as far as I am aware you do not need a cell signal to fly the Phantom 3. Someone on here will correct me or offer better advise.
I am a newbie myself. Hope this helps you.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Thank you for the great video.

Turn off wifi ?? In other threads on here, it says leave wifi on so the maps will cache ?? I was going to purchase a ipad 2 mini with wifi / no cellular.

Turn off wifi ?? In other threads on here, it says leave wifi on so the maps will cache ?? I was going to purchase a ipad 2 mini with wifi / no cellular.

Any one with expertise what to weigh in here? I have now heard it both ways also. WiFi should be on or off?

Any one with expertise what to weigh in here? I have now heard it both ways also. WiFi should be on or off?
You initially would turn on wifi in order to cache the map. After the map is cached, there is no real reason for it to be on... you don't need it to fly. Whether it creates interference is up for debate. If you are planning to tether your tablet to your phone over wifi in order to stream to youtube, etc, then it's quite possible you'll see diminished range/choppy FPS if you use the 2.4Ghz band. Android users who tether have the ability (on most devices) to switch to the 5.4Ghz band, which obviously does not produce interference. iOS devices I believe are only able to tether on the 2.4Ghz band.

So, in short, use wifi to cache the maps when you're at home, then it's up to you whether you want to turn it off when you're flying if you don't plan to live stream. If you plan to live stream, I would recommend an iOS device w/ an LTE chip on board. GL

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but, what do you mean by Cache The Maps..
Whilst connected to your home wifi, open the pilot app and move the map around. It'll cache whatever you were looking at so you have it available in the field. Make sure to zoom in too so that it caches the more detailed tiles.

Reactions: snowghost and Russ
Yes it is best to Turn Off Wifi when flying because it can cause 2.4 Ghz interference with lightbridge
I won't doubt it if others have definitely experienced this. But Lightbridge is 2.4 GHz band, and Wifi is 5.8 GHz band, so they should not interfere.

I won't doubt it if others have definitely experienced this. But Lightbridge is 2.4 GHz band, and Wifi is 5.8 GHz band, so they should not interfere.
Depends on what wifi. 802.11 b and g are 2.4Ghz. 802.11n can be 2.4 or 5Ghz. 802.11a and 802.11ac is 5.Ghz.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers