How do you mark (label) your P3?

Oso

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I have read several threads recently about lost or crashed P3s and it made me wonder what people are doing to mark their birds with some sort of identification. I didn't see anything similar while searching this forum, so with many new pilots out there I thought a few ideas in a new thread would be helpful just in case the worst happens.

For me, I have written my mobile number on the P3 with a Sharpie (permanent marker). Since that looks like crap, I also affixed a printed label on top of the handwritten number.

I also keep an "IF FOUND" txt file on the SD card with my name and mobile number. It seems the gimbal frequently rips off in a crash, so I thought that if it were separated from the bird that it should also have some identification. After I reformat the card to do a FW update, I just put the txt file back on the card.

I only have numbers on my batteries so that I can do some amount of wear leveling. Since the batteries seem to pop out in the crash videos I have seen, I am thinking about a good way to mark the batteries as well.

What do you guys do?

Reactions: Redmatrix
Here's what I did. when to online site to create a QR code that says Reward and my cell # I have blurred it to avoid crank calls but any smart phone can read it or they can just take the # off the sticker.View media item 293

Last edited:
Reactions: Redmatrix
Battery pooping? I guess birds gotta go sometime.
I use label Maker....
Then I take it off it makes the bird look sh@ty.

Dog tag at the pet store cheap machine and glue it.
Good idea.

I'm going to sell poop bags for all the drones taking sh#ts in the air.

Reactions: Pumpfixer
If could micro chip our phantoms would be an option
Well, that's what I do. Usually when they're pups, lol.

Actually a Brother Label maker works great for my birds. Reward if found and my cell number on the inside and outside.

Reactions: dalebb
God ideas. I have a few stickers inside the Phantom with my phone number. Most people in my area are very honest and would call if they found it. No guarantees though.

A couple of you guys said that you mark it inside. I assume you mean in the battery compartment. Where do you put the sticker? All the way in the back on the flat surface?

It's also great to have your name and phone number when they want to sue you over damages (real or concocted).
I thought about that before I marked my P3. Years ago my son hit a baseball through a neighbor's garage door window. I had no idea until they called me to say they have my baseball (marked) and a bill for the new window.

In this litigious society, I would not be surprised if someone who found a stray Phantom would suddenly have "damage" to property or worse to a person.

Reactions: skyhighdiver
I thought about that before I marked my P3. Years ago my son hit a baseball through a neighbor's garage door window. I had no idea until they called me to say they have my baseball (marked) and a bill for the new window.

In this litigious society, I would not be surprised if someone who found a stray Phantom would suddenly have "damage" to property or worse to a person.
There are still a lot of good people out there with common sense, I just haven't bumped into many lately. Flying in Maidu Park this morning and had a bunch of people interested in the quad, lots of positive comments for a change.
@Oso, we will have to go flying some time as we are close.

There are still a lot of good people out there with common sense, I just haven't bumped into many lately. Flying in Maidu Park this morning and had a bunch of people interested in the quad, lots of positive comments for a change.
@Oso, we will have to go flying some time as we are close.
Yes, we're close. I've been to Maidu Park several times for little league games. It's about 20 minutes drive from me.

Yes, we're close. I've been to Maidu Park several times for little league games. It's about 20 minutes drive from me.
Good place to practice maneuvers or just get some stick time in, big park with lots of room, during the week days there are very few people around and the few that are there stick to the trails mostly. I could actually take off from my back yard as the flight time to the park is under a minute. (but I don't)

Reactions: Oso
Reactions: MADrone and Oso
Someone wrote on the shell of their P3 with a Sharpie? Huh? I would never ever do that.

Buy a cheap label maker and make a label with your phone number. I stuck the label on the P3 right above where the battery goes in. There's a perfect flat spot there.

I can personally recommend the labels made by http://www.uavstickers.com/products-dji-phantom-3.php
After an accidental field test I know how well they stay on. Here's that story
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/amphibious-p2v-experiment.29167/#post-268677

And here's my P3 wearing one of their labels.
i-PRGwmn4-L.jpg

NFW Cool
So what happened to the Old girl?
I'm going with my Pet Id tag made of Super Duper Plastic and some glue for 5 bucks. You can put a lot of stuff on those tags and even get them heart shaped.

Reactions: Oso
Someone wrote on the shell of their P3 with a Sharpie? Huh? I would never ever do that.

Buy a cheap label maker and make a label with your phone number. I stuck the label on the P3 right above where the battery goes in. There's a perfect flat spot there.
That's exactly where I put the printed label on mine.

That's correct, stickers come off, especially in the 100º+ heat we have, the sticker covers the fine point sharpie with the same info. If I ever sell then I just cross it out and place a new blank reward sticker over it, no problem. But i don't see myself selling, I have had 3 quads and this is by far the best, and with 3rd party apps coming soon it will only get better.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers