How can these guys get away with this?

Reaction score
www.kespry.com

From the website above: "Insurance Inspectors and Claims Adjusters can use a Kespry drone system to quickly and safely inspect a roof. No joystick or piloting experience is necessary. The automated drone system is equipped with obstacle avoidance and automatically flies the mission planned on an iPad in a few minutes before takeoff. High-resolution imagery is instantly processed in the field and converted into 2D and 3D maps and models. Claims Adjustors are given precise calculations of roof pitch surface area and detailed image resolution to adequately quantify damage."

Sent from my SM-T813 using PhantomPilots mobile app

On paper, looks like a great product and service. Probably way too e,pensive for me to consider though. The only thing more one would need (at least in the US) is the Part 107 ticket.

On paper, looks like a great product and service. Probably way too e,pensive for me to consider though. The only thing more one would need (at least in the US) is the Part 107 ticket.
That was my point. The Adjusters don't have Part 107 tickets. No experience necessary. They send you the drone. The adjuster runs the app.

How much does the suas weigh?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Edit: I see it's 2 kg, which is about 4 pounds. My thought was it may be under the weight limit. No such luck

That was my point. The Adjusters don't have Part 107 tickets. No experience necessary. They send you the drone. The adjuster runs the app.

That's not Kespry's problem, anymore than it is for DJI if I want to use my Phantom for the same thing. They aren't going to make too much of it. Telling potential customers that you have to study for and take a test costing $150 before you can use their product as advertised won't be part of their marketing (at least not in the US or Canada!).

Reactions: JesterPhotog
How much does the suas weigh?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Edit: I see it's 2 kg, which is about 4 pounds. My thought was it may be under the weight limit. No such luck
Weight wouldn't matter! No minimum weight for commercial flying! Just a max of 55 lbs.

Reactions: aermale
I bought my first car without a driver's license. Didn't drive it until I got one, just tinkered around on it adding teenager's "cool and must have stuff."

Probably the same means for Kespry, but I think theirs is a subscription-based drone where you pay some $30K annually to use it and their software/Cloud too.

www.kespry.com

From the website above: "Insurance Inspectors and Claims Adjusters can use a Kespry drone system to quickly and safely inspect a roof. No joystick or piloting experience is necessary. The automated drone system is equipped with obstacle avoidance and automatically flies the mission planned on an iPad in a few minutes before takeoff. High-resolution imagery is instantly processed in the field and converted into 2D and 3D maps and models. Claims Adjustors are given precise calculations of roof pitch surface area and detailed image resolution to adequately quantify damage."

I wonder if the program in everything in Litchi.....hmmm that would be interesting because they could do everything on Google to check heights, although this violates part 107 if they are sending this to someone and the risk being created is massive but it would interesting to see how they do the process.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

theirs is a subscription-based drone where you pay some $30K annually

Was this on their webpage somewhere? It does look expensive since I assume the data transfer is done via a cell connection from the bird plus the data processing.

I don't see a problem with what they are doing. I can get on the phone to Boeing and purchase a 757 (assuming they'd accept a stack of credit cards) and they're not going to ask for a copy of my rating. Safe and legal operation is up to me.

There's a large market for contour maps created from drone data. But this thing–if that cost is correct–is out of the reach for sole-proprietor 107 operations.

SB

I can get on the phone to Boeing and purchase a 757 (assuming they'd accept a stack of credit cards) and they're not going to ask for a copy of my rating.
Call the Prez, he might make you a deal on his B757 now he has Air Force One ;)

Was this on their webpage somewhere? It does look expensive since I assume the data transfer is done via a cell connection from the bird plus the data processing.
There's a large market for contour maps created from drone data. But this thing–if that cost is correct–is out of the reach for sole-proprietor 107 operations.

SB
Look at this article near the bottom where it mentions their pricing. Drone 2.0: Kespry’s lighter, stronger drone not only flies itself, it renders 3D maps for you
http://www.equipmentworld.com/drone...only-flies-itself-it-renders-3d-maps-for-you/
Their $30K (and up) annual subscription includes $1 million liability insurance as well as just about everything you need including the iPad and all their Cloud mapping in 2D and 3D. Just draw out what you want to do on the iPad and it's pretty much all done for you once the drone flies and then auto-uploads and does all the work in their Cloud server. I've also heard $25K at the low end too.

They are probably aiming it more towards colleges and public facilities more than individuals, unless you go the cash and jobs to justify it. Personally, I don't think the drones DJI makes are all that accurate to do this type of mapping work as GO isn't all that stellar in the numbers it shows from flying them without some sort of 3rd party software and pre-mapping data mixed.

Look at this article near the bottom where it mentions their pricing. Drone 2.0: Kespry’s lighter, stronger drone not only flies itself, it renders 3D maps for you
Their $30K (and up) annual subscription includes $1 million liability insurance as well as just about everything you need including the iPad and all their Cloud mapping in 2D and 3D. Just draw out what you want to do on the iPad and it's pretty much all done for you once the drone flies and then auto-uploads and does all the work in their Cloud server. I've also heard $25K at the low end too.

They are probably aiming it more towards colleges and public facilities more than individuals, unless you go the cash and jobs to justify it. Personally, I don't think the drones DJI makes are all that accurate to do this type of mapping work as GO isn't all that stellar in the numbers it shows from flying them without some sort of 3rd party software and pre-mapping data mixed.

I've used my P3A and MapsMadeEasy to create stellar 3D maps. What is lacking is the ability to upload the data and download contour maps. I think it can be done using expensive GIS software and a learning curve.

Their system uses a known-point device that is set up first (that do-hickey on the tripod) and perhaps that's where part of the accuracy is coming from.

SB

I've used my P3A and MapsMadeEasy to create stellar 3D maps. What is lacking is the ability to upload the data and download contour maps. I think it can be done using expensive GIS software and a learning curve.

Their system uses a known-point device that is set up first (that do-hickey on the tripod) and perhaps that's where part of the accuracy is coming from.

SB
Second receiver used to post process the data using differential GPS. Gets you down to cm level accuracy. Both the onboard an ground receiver store the raw GPS data. Something DJI doesn't do. Those receivers each cost much more than any DJI aircraft. On MME maps, the relative accuracy between points is pretty good. It's the absolute that you don't get unless you include a known survey point.

still needs a 107 card.

In the US, all drones operated for commercial purposes need a 107 or 333 licensed operator and are subject to the rules of each. There are no exceptions except maybe for the military.

I don't know if having your Part 107 will help since the FAA has included autonomous flight as non-waivable:

Not All Of The Part 107 Regulations Can Be Waived.
Here is a list of things that CANNOT be waived under 107:
  • Autonomous Operations– No Part 107 remote pilot in the loop.

I don't know if having your Part 107 will help since the FAA has included autonomous flight as non-waivable:

Can you give a little more background? Are you saying that since the Kespry solution is fully automated with no ability for even a licensed 107 or 333 exempt pilot to gain control and fly manually, that it’s not legal or that you don’t even need a 107?

Interesting. Wonder how Intel gets away with their night flights of 1,000+ drones at events? All those are pretty much autonomous flights off a computer.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr