How can these guys get away with this?

Interesting. Wonder how Intel gets away with their night flights of 1,000+ drones at events? All those are pretty much autonomous flights off a computer.

Intel, who recently purchased Yuneec and invested $60M, did not in fact pull off the event at the Olympics. Despite the significant capital outlay and I imagine a huge team of drone professionals who's sole purpose was to get that Olympic event kicked off without a hitch, they still used their backup prerecorded version instead of going live during the event. It was a group of smaller drones flown in December, recorded in South Korea over an unpopulated area. They had what they called a "logistical error" during the Olympic event. The fact that they pulled it off at all though is amazing and does go to show the future potential use for small UAS.

Despite the obvious and eventual technical difficulties I am more worried about rapid inspections of properties after a storm event and the eventual collision with a low flying aircraft. Aeronautical systems are build with redundancies, backups and manual overrides on top of their automated systems. Kespry seems to be blazing a new path bravely with these autonomous quads. This solution looks great for mapping uninhabited areas but I saw that Farmers is using them for home inspections from wind and hail claims. After a significant storm event airspace is a bit of a mess. There are more than a dozen companies trying to collect imagery after storms these days and they might not always be where they should. With no ability to use a trained pilot to take over and fly the drone safely over a residential area this Kespy solution could be catastrophic. I hope the FAA takes notice and helps this solution add back the basics of human oversight and control as an alternative to crashing. Jupiter, the god of the sky will eventually smack you down if you show a lack of respect. A Basic P4P, is a fraction of the price, has flight automation has obstacle avoidance sensors on the sides, front, back and below, while a Kespry only appears to have it on the front. The Phantom also allows for a human to take over and fly when GPS fails, or choose a new landing area if the current "Home" position becomes compromised by the neighbor kid running after her loose puppy.

I'm sticking with my Phantom 4 Pro!

Last edited:

Yes, but Intel also did drone light shows at Disneyland/Disney World as well as over the Bellagio Hotel during CES last month in Las Vegas at night.

Intel Shooting Stars at CES over the Bellagio:

Disney World:

Given that Disney is a NFZ, Intel must have some super-power with the FAA for any waiver with their autonomous flights - if they get them.

Wow, very cool. However if you watch close you can see them crashing and getting tangled, the spectators laugh as the drones fall in the water, they tumble down the side of the dome roof structure and crash as they return home...

I think this thread is more about how Kespry is getting away with this "No Pilot, No Joystick" idea with insurace companies, over peoples homes. Its very very cool concept yet this type of thing has no place in the insurance space. Especially with drones 5-6x larger with unguarded carbon fiber props and no way for a human to control when GPS fails. Kespry's solution is a risk to the drone industry and I wonder how they get away with it. Again very cool concept with some very smart technology folks behind it, I just hope that I'm wrong and they have thought through the eventuality of a midair collision and what that would look like for an insurance company.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94