hot pixels in P3P images

max

Reaction score
Hi all,
Tonight I went up at night and took some images. I really pushed the files (DNG) while PP-ing them in Lightroom and ended up with a ton of hot pixels. Anyone have a good program to get rid of them, or a way to get lightroom to do a better job detecting them? My understanding is lightroom auto detects and removes hot pixels, but I am guessing that they simply weren't bright enough for the detection algorithm before I made my brightness and contrast adjustments. And now they are very bright... Any idea? Thanks!

Processed image:
DJI_0007.JPG
Raw image:
DJI_0007-2.JPG
Crop from processed image:
EDIT_CROP.png
Crop from Raw image:
EDIT_CROP.png

Attachments

• ORIG_CROP.png
    ORIG_CROP.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 1,086
Last edited:
This reminds me of an issue some saw with the Inspire stills, turned out it depended on certain software combinations, and most people could view the file and it looked fine.
It's expecting a lot too avoid this sort of thing with such a small sensor - it does pretty well on the whole.

Thanks for the tip HunterSK. I will try that tool now. Funnily enough I was just processing some images I took the other evening and noticed some bad pixels on the panorama that became more pronounced upon sharpening. The pano can be viewed at https://www.flickr.com/photos/nickrussill/18266782338/in/dateposted-public/, and attached below is a 200% crop. I'll follow up and see how the cleaner tool performs...

Best wishes

Nick

2015-06-04_1400.png

After running the DJI DNG Cleaner, the bad pixels are still there (see comparison below). Obviously to expect such a small sensor to perform like a DSLR is asking a lot, but if anyone has got any comments about if this is normal or what to do it would be good to hear? The sample file can be downloaded from https://www.dropbox.com/s/q4w24c4l2un50h0/DJI_0040.dng?dl=0

Nick

View attachment 21007

Nick, I downloaded your DNG file and had a look. On my Mac, so I put it through DNG Cleaner and got a readable DNG file (in the Output directory). This file looks clean to me.

Remember, that DNG Cleaner will not overwrite your original DNG files - the 'cleaned' files are stored in the 'Output' sub-directory.

I have a copy of the process file here. On my machine I cannot see any hot pixels.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g15tbvoy11el0qr/DJI_0040 after clean process.dng?dl=0

Thanks for that - for starters I got the directories muddled, so my fault!

However, the resulting .dng file that you kindly uploaded can be viewed in OS X preview, but will not be recognised in Lightroom, PS or Camera RAW...

Thanks for that - for starters I got the directories muddled, so my fault!

However, the resulting .dng file that you kindly uploaded can be viewed in OS X preview, but will not be recognised in Lightroom, PS or Camera RAW...

Yes you're right, I just tried importing that file into Lightroom CC and for some reason it wasn't recognised.

The DNG cleaner is generating files that may have compatibility issues with Adobe's software.

This might be worth pointing out to DJI.

I've never really worked with dng files, only raw such as cr2 on my Canons. Does the hot pixel problem happen if I just take the card out and read it into my PC? Or is the dng file what is used for "raw"?

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk Pro

Have tested the Mac cleaner but PC works just fine with adobe products.

Maybe I should have pointed out that the issue in my case is with the Mac OS X version

I've been editing raw DNG in LightRoom on my Mac just fine... I didn't realize it but I think I got some hot spots in this image (which was post processed in LR5):

dji_0036-jpg.20884

I have a P3S and have been taking HDR Raw Images.

They have come out with a ton of hot Pixels.

The removal tool (OSX v1.1) by dji does not remove any of them.

Has anyone had a similar Problem?

Unfortunately i have the same problem on my MAC with combination HDR and DNG extension.
Anything new?

I'm having the same issue... no problems with regular DNG files anymore even in aperture but when I use the HDR feature of the phantom i get these hot pink pixels in the dark areas of the picture that seems like its a 'hot' pixel?!? anyone else have this issue? am i going to have to switch to LR now??

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20