Horizon FPV antennas

Schenso said:
I have taken off my normal antennas.. but what can i do with this 1 now? :roll:

24ov969.jpg

Add one of the 2.4 cp antenna's, have a look on there site, there's a pic with both fitted, best of both worlds ;)

Good shout pull_up but I might just lift the whole aerial up so it's just above the skids. No distant tests yet going to do that this weekend. I'll let you all know

NEILS said:
Schenso said:

24ov969.jpg

Add one of the 2.4 cp antenna's, have a look on there site, there's a pic with both fitted, best of both worlds ;)

What distance do you get with this setup?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

This was my first mod, any suggestions?

I typically got 300 ~ 320m if I am lucky. Desired to mod my repeater, it was a struggle getting the parts. I only managed to get a replacement 2.4Ghz radio antenna.

Tested it again and the best I got was just over 1000m. Works pretty good upto 900m. Then I have to turn the PV2 to the side to get last few m out. This is with stock antenna on camera only mod on the repeater.

What do you think?

arypebyj.jpg

u9aby5ap.jpg

Schenso said:

Whatever you do, do NOT run your repeater without some antenna attached to each port (even if you need to reattach the stock internal antenna.) Doing so will (at some point) damage the amp in the repeater.

Ok ok.. back from testing the distance again and not really happy :|

300xx8k.jpg

distance: 435 meters (1427ft)

altitude was on 30 meters (98ft)

i had 10 satellites.. so thats not the problem. And as you can see in the picture, it's all flat! No wifi interruptions or nearby houses. Even with my cheap antenna's i could get this far lol..

schenso,

read my post "mod. ant not worth it "

per mra1228 ? you need to get higher altitude to get longer horiz. distance.

i have almost the same as yours result on my 2nd test. i will try next time w/ real high altitude and pointed that cylindrical antenna to uav. hopefully, getting good result.

antonbdp said:
This was my first mod, any suggestions?

I typically got 300 ~ 320m if I am lucky. Desired to mod my repeater, it was a struggle getting the parts. I only managed to get a replacement 2.4Ghz radio antenna.

Tested it again and the best I got was just over 1000m. Works pretty good upto 900m. Then I have to turn the PV2 to the side to get last few m out. This is with stock antenna on camera only mod on the repeater.

What do you think?

arypebyj.jpg

u9aby5ap.jpg

This is what I used.

https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Def ... ID=SPM6819

Horizon FPV antennas seemed too expensive for me, so i decided to build similar antennas on my own. In fact with little soldering experience its easy!
I followed these instructions for the RC antennas: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1377791 and for the 2,4GHz cloverleaf on the phantom these instructions: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1388264
It took me two evenings to cut, solder and paint and cost me 25€ on materials. I already had the 5,8GHz cloverleaf - didn't build that.

Tested the antennas a few days ago: I got 1600m range (measured from map because the DJI app shows N/A beyond 999m) with 320x240 preview. Beyond that the picture started to freeze now and then and i turned back. With preview quality 640x480 the range was 800m until the picture started to freeze. Newer lost the control signal.

PS! Please excuse my my bad english (i'm from Estonia)

Some pictures from my setup:
IMG_0881.JPG

IMG_0882.JPG

IMG_0883.JPG

IMG_0884.jpg

IMG_0886.JPG

Erik

Erik cool setup, lots of hardware.
I used a little wip antenna and with 640 x 480 preview got around 1km

Seems I am lucky... Thinking of adding the same antenna to the phantom camera as well.

Will drop preview to 320 and see if it improves the range.

Ps off topic does the filter on the camera make a huge difference?

It's a matter of taste. Circular polariser makes blues and greens punch and improves cloud contrast that makes them pop, kills all glare from reflective surfaces as well. But it only works optimally when you are more or less 90 degrees to the sun. There are a couple of threads on filters on here if you have a good search.

Well done Erik. Anyone with materials and skills can make a lot of things... You're paying for someone else's time to do it and the ability to send it back if it doesn't work. I reckon if it took you 4 hours over 2 evenings then that works out at about 20 euro per hour saved compared to have someone else build it for you and support it based on Horizon prices for a similar setup to yours. If it took you longer than 4 hours then obviously the hourly rate saving drops.

It's the same principle why I pay someone to hang wallpaper for me... I could do it, but it would take me a long time and the results would not look very good! :)

Pull_Up said:
Well done Erik. Anyone with materials and skills can make a lot of things... You're paying for someone else's time to do it and the ability to send it back if it doesn't work. I reckon if it took you 4 hours over 2 evenings then that works out at about 20 euro per hour saved compared to have someone else build it for you and support it based on Horizon prices for a similar setup to yours. If it took you longer than 4 hours then obviously the hourly rate saving drops.

It's the same principle why I pay someone to hang wallpaper for me... I could do it, but it would take me a long time and the results would not look very good! :)

For me it depends on the cost/quality relation of things. I felt the aesthetics are not that important to me and i could compensate for the less exact build by adding 2 more turns to the helixes (some extra dBi). It was a nice challenge also.
If it would have cost me, say 60-80€ to build, i would have ordered from Horizon FPV.

By the way, got the interest in these antennas watching your videos on youtube, Simon. I really enjoy the channel. Thank you for that!

Ha, you're welcome! There have been a few vids that have got me involved in some really good knowledge-sharing conversations, posts and emails so it's a great two-way experience as far as I'm concerned.

In fact I think someone's getting close to persuading me to buy a soldering iron... :shock:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie