Hooking up battery before turning on TX

Reaction score
It sounds like the kiss of death if you plugging in battery before turning on TX. But just what happens if you do, and what's required to fix it?

Re: Turning on TX before hooking up battery

slugger said:
It sounds like the kiss of death if you turn on TX before plugging in battery. But just what happens if you do, and what's required to fix it?
You're supposed to turn on the TX first. When you plug in the battery, you want the RX to have a real signal to lock onto.

I've done this before by accident and nothing happened. Didn't fly off, didn't burst into flames. I just turned on my TX and all was good. I'm not saying you shouldn't follow the recommended procedure, but I wouldn't call it the kiss of death.

I've forgotten to turn on the Tx first a few times as well, and have had no major issues.

I'd just turn on my Tx and it would connect.
I'd often re-set home location just to be sure as well.

I guess it's more of just a cautionary holdover from the old days of flying R/C that you'd want to have your Tx on the entire time to prevent a random signal from causing your craft to take off on it's own or something.

Have done it by mistake also, your Phantom goes into failsafe mod, but since the motors are not armed, goes nowhere, flashes orange, which means failsafe mod.

don't forget what the Phantom does when it goes into Failsafe..... as a reminder: it flies 60 feet up from current location and attempts to go home.

if for some reason you connect the power before turning on the TX, the phantom gets a stray signal, then looses it, the phantom will then go into failsafe. I would really not like to find out what would happen if someone just happens to be prepping the phantom still (turning on the camera, etc). procedures are there for your safety as well as the safety of the general public. please adhere to them.

auck said:
don't forget what the Phantom does when it goes into Failsafe..... as a reminder: it flies 60 feet up from current location and attempts to go home.

if for some reason you connect the power before turning on the TX, the phantom gets a stray signal, then looses it, the phantom will then go into failsafe. I would really not like to find out what would happen if someone just happens to be prepping the phantom still (turning on the camera, etc). procedures are there for your safety as well as the safety of the general public. please adhere to them.

It won't fly off unless you arm the motors, so if you happen to turn your Phantom on before your TX, since the motors are not armed will not take off, this is another safety feature.

The NAZA is receiver is digital code bound to the phantom transmitter, thus eliminating interference from other transmitters. The Rx will keep searching till it finds the Tx it is bound to. Won't lock onto an unbound Rx signal.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj