High Elevation Base

PRC

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a new Phantom 2, H4-3D with GoPro Hero 4, + FPV owner - never flown a quad but I am experienced with RC aircraft and the "real thing".

I've already learnt a huge amount trawling the PP forums so thanks for this great resource!

However, I couldn't find anything about flying from a high elevation sites - one of the sites I'll be flying from is at 7,783ft (2,372m). There are bound to be performance hits at that elevation, but will it be sufficient to be problematic with my payload?

The thinner air will certainly lower flight times.

There is video of a P2 flying at Mt. Everest base camp. ~17,500 ft.

Reactions: PRC
The gist of the story is that you will have diminished flight time and should use 9450 props, which are stiffer and add more lift.

But what do I know? Never flown at altitude before.

Reactions: PRC
The gist of the story is that you will have diminished flight time and should use 9450 props, which are stiffer and add more lift.

But what do I know? Never flown at altitude before.
Thanks Beeline - 9450s ordered!

All my flights are between 7,000 and 9,000 feet. I have found no issues with standard props. I have a set of carbon fiber props that seem to work better but I really don't know. The carbon fiber performance is most noticeable when craft is correcting for wind gusts.

I always land before battery hits 30%. Ten minute flights are long for me. Cold weather effects your time more than altitude. My flight times are a lot longer now than this winter.

If filming in steep mountain canyon watch out for good GPS lock. When you loose good lock it is very hard to control accurately. In the mountains there are few place with a big margin of error. Trees have eaten mine twice and unless it hits snow there is no good crash landing.

Last edited:
Check out the highest peak in N. Nevada Mt Rose summit
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31