Hidden sunset

Reaction score
Pic from above the clouds on a overcast day near Lake Michigan.
DJI_0003.jpg

Last edited:
There was a cold front coming in off the lake and high humidity. Clouds were just above the trees. Very cool to see I came home just at the right time.

Reactions: Weston Ney
How did you manage line of sight?
Hmmm, good question! But one thing I don't understand about vlos. Do you have to be physically looking at the drone the whole flight? Because if that was the case then it would be illegal to look at the screen ever? It seems like a strange rule. I do think it's wrong to fly 5 miles away because at that distance you'll never know what's going on in the air way out there! But when it's close by I don't know how to follow the vlos rule exactly...

My concern with the poster I was responding to was that I couldn’t imagine how one can have Volos above a solid cloud layer. There would be no way to see any aircraft you might be in conflict with

Reactions: Weston Ney
Well done. You got a great video and obeyed all the rules. You are to be commended. You get the FAA Gold Star of Approval;););)

Great video ... BUT totally outside of FAA regulations for VLOS and maintenance of distance from and below clouds. The regs don’t say ... if you are in a remote area, and if you can hear manned aircraft with sufficient time to bring your drone down, it’s OK.

Under 14 CFR Part 107, an sUAS must remain no closer than
500 feet below and 2,000 feet horizontally away from any clouds.

So that pretty much takes care of all the other debates on VLOS..LOL

I've seen lots of videos on this sight and it seems that 90* are a little out of the rules!
At 400ft above me I can hear planes and helicopters a long time before they get close!
Flying over houses cars people I've seen it all right here, now a hot air balloon even makes
a lot of noise so don't look at the controller or turn your head you will break a rule right!
I didn't mean to hurt anybody's feelings, just the way I see it!

So as I read the regs. For small and or large aircrafts. They are to maintain a minimum distance of 500’ above houses, boats, people in general. I was not above 400’ and was directly above my house. I did not have line of site the entire time. My bad. I am aware of my surrounding and do take caution when flying. I ask this to drone fliers. When filming a building, structure, of anything large where you do a 360 deg. Around it. Is it ever out of your site or do you run around the building chasing it. I guess if you don’t like my video and it is to hard for you to just enjoy the beauty of it. Do not look at it. Sorry I have made such a stir over a 4 min flight. I try and film natures hidden wonders and it isn’t worth the head ache from the perfect ones who have never done any wrong. Have a great day.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic