Hi-Aerial Hood (better than Hoodman) 50% off last day!

Reaction score
Hey fellow phantom pilot members! I've been looking at this hi-aerial hood for quite sometime. I've read some reviews. It sounds like people who have owned and used both the Hoodman and the Hi-Aerial prefer the Hi-Aerial. I've been holding off ordering because I'm not flying much in the winter and I didn't want to shell out $$ if possibly I need a different size come March when I plan to buy the much anticipated an iPad mini 5. However, I just checked the website and the Hi-Aerial Hood has been 50% off since Dec. 23! Sale ends tomorrow! At 50% off I decided to order one. I can use it with my current iPad Mini 2 and hopefully it will still fit the next gen iPad mini model. As a side note, the iPad Mini 2 works flawless with the DJI Go app but my kid doesn't always want to give it up... I need to get my own, he he.

I can not personally confirm whether the Hi-Aerial hood is better than the Hoodman, but the reviews look good. If nothing else guys, if you've been looking at the Hoodman but don't want to spend that much, this is a great time to jump on an alternative at a cheaper price! I'm getting mine for $45 free shipping, no tax. I'll try to post a review when I get mine and try it out.

Here is all the info I have about the Hi-Aerial Hood:
To place an order, visit the website to figure out what model you want: Hi-Aerial . If you want to order, you need to send an email to the seller Mike Harris ( [email protected] ) and tell him what model you want and your paypal email address. He will in turn email you a paypal invoice for your order to make payment via paypal. I have sent him a few emails and he always personally responds.

Review on phantompilots.com
Finally, a great sun shield that really works

Review on DJI forum
Hi-Aerial HB25 Boost Hood Review

YouTube video from Hi-Aerial

EDIT:
Just FYI, I just got another email from Mike Harris with more info. The sale ends at Midnight (MST) on January 1st. I wish I would have noticed this sale on December 23 so I could have given you guys an earlier heads up.

Mike is located in Canada but the product ships from NY, USA. So, it ships free in USA, but I think it must ship free to Canada as well. They seem to cater to Apple products, these products are ready to ship. But they will custom make a hood for Android as well. It takes about a month for custom orders. I believe they charge the same low price for custom orders. The product is made from some stiff material (maybe plastic) that appears to be covered in a vinyl or faux leather. There are magnets in various locations throughout the design that allow for quick assembly and hold it together very well. I very clever design. I'm sure some of you will be concerned about interference from the magnets. That should not be a concern. There are already lots of magnets located in the iPad itself. Also, other hood manufacturers such as those sold by aerialdroneaccessories.com use magnets in their design and have not had any problems. Anyway, Mike liked the product so much for his own personal and commercial use that he became a distributor. I can't wait to get mine!

EDIT: The prices on the website DO NOT reflect the sale; the prices were not changed to reflect the sale. You get 50% off whatever price you see on the website.

Last edited:
I had both the Hoodman, and now the Hi-Aerial. The High-Aerial is much better. They fixed all the shortcomings of the Hoodman. I wish I had bought mine under the sale price, that is a real bargain. Sometimes I use the hood extension, sometimes not. It just works great and doesn't fall off the RC like the Hoodman did at times.

I had both the Hoodman, and now the Hi-Aerial. The High-Aerial is much better. They fixed all the shortcomings of the Hoodman. I wish I had bought mine under the sale price, that is a real bargain. Sometimes I use the hood extension, sometimes not. It just works great and doesn't fall off the RC like the Hoodman did at times.

Don't you feel as if you are looking thru a tunnel.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Thanks for sharing! I saw the Hoodman recently at the IDE show, it was $99. I kinda liked it, and was thinking about buying one, but this Hi-Aerial version seems better from an ergonomic point of view. It appears to store easier in my ThinkTank backpack, and it looks lighter (not sure about that). I just ordered one for my Air2 on Amazon.

Hey flyboy73. Thanks for you previous review. I found that and have been considering this ever since. How well has it been holding up? I'm wondering if the folds are showing any wear. Does it seem like it is durable enough to last? Also, it's kinda hard to tell exactly what material it is made from. I'm just guessing it's a stiff plastic covered in vinyl or faux leather. Sound about right?

Don't you feel as if you are looking thru a tunnel.

I figure you always have the option of not pressing your face against the hood if you don't want to or using the hood without the extension. It just shields the light. If you don't press it against your face you can still see everything in your peripheral vision so I doubt you feel like you are in a tunnel, but since flyboy73 has actually used it maybe he will chime in on that.

Hey flyboy73. Thanks for you previous review. I found that and have been considering this ever since. How well has it been holding up? I'm wondering if the folds are showing any wear. Does it seem like it is durable enough to last? Also, it's kinda hard to tell exactly what material it is made from. I'm just guessing it's a stiff plastic covered in vinyl or faux leather. Sound about right?
Sounds like about right on the material. I've only had it for a few months but it seems to be holding up fine so far. No apparent wear.

Not really, and not as limiting as FPV goggles in my opinion. You just lift your head up and you have full vision for landing, etc. It was the only hood I found that really keeps all the light out and that was my main purpose.

Thx for sharing your experience.

Just FYI, forum members "Aeromirage" and "flyboy73" (as he mentioned above) have been using their Hi-Aerial hoods for sometime now. They still love them and prefer them in their own side by side comparison/use over the Hoodman that so many people rave about. Read their reviews in the links above. I can't wait to get mine!

Hi-Aerial will custom make these hoods for any tablet. I spoke with Mike yesterday. As long as you get your email order to him by midnight (MST) tonight you are good to go!

THE SALE ENDS TONIGHT AT MIDNIGHT (MOUNTAIN STANDARD TIME)

Just trying to get the word before the sale ends guys. I probably won't post any more until I can review the product for myself.

Happy New Year guys!
s2qXK8wAvkHTO.gif

FYI, I just learned that 50% off sale does not include custom orders. So I guess that means Apple products only for the sale.

I have been hovering on the edge of buying a Hoodman for some time as the sun in New Zealand is very strong in summer - the only reason I hadnt bought one is the look of the fastening method and other peoples' comments on the fastening, Tried quite a few hood from the 3-sided ones to jackets and even a beach-towel! The best being a jacket but you quickly get too hot and also have to have a side-kick handy to keep it in position.

Saw this thread and have just now ordered 3 Hi-Aerial hood sets at 50% - 2 for ipad-air and one for ipad-mini - I think thanks to this thread, Mike is going to be a. busy boy!

- Cant wait for them to arrive!

Nothing to lose with this package. Seems to offer quality product, secure mount and optional extension that might be very useful in certain situations. Sent an email for iPad Air kit. Thanks for the heads up.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20