Hexa – a eVTOL drone you can ride

Reaction score
LIFT Aircraft is a private company in Austin Texas which has developed an electric, vertical takeoff and landing (eVTOL) aircraft. According to founder/CEO of DJI North America (Colin Guinn) LIFT is using technologies that have matured in the drone industry.

There are plans to open up LIFT locations where anyone will be able to rent aircraft and experience an entirely new kind of flying - pilot's license not required. And my neighbors thought my drone was a problem!

You can get on a waiting list for a test flight at their website:

See you in the sky.
1614491825009.png

There are plans to open up LIFT locations where anyone will be able to rent aircraft and experience an entirely new kind of flying - pilot's license not required.
It seems they've been trying to get this off the ground for a couple of years.
Their FAQ makes interesting reading.
What could possibly go wrong?

But this one is much more stylish:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

A couple of highlights from the FAQ
With 5 floats, Hexa can safely land and float on water, and operations will often take place over water.
Given how nervous many flyers are about flying their drones over water ....??

Ultralights are limited to flying 63 mph (55 knots) airspeed, and flights will be software limited to about 45 mph in Beginner mode. Additional speed and maneuvering capabilities will be unlocked in Sport mode for advance pilots.
We will have a Group Mode where groups can fly together, communicate on a group intercom, fly in autonomous formations and even race around augmented reality ring courses.

Racing 60 mph aerial go carts in the sky ... that sounds perfectly safe?

The cost will be approximately $249 per 8-15 minute flight
Ouch

LIFT Aircraft is not currently offering Hexas for sale to the general public.
Except the website says the opposite somewhere else

I'd give it a try. I'd to know how long to recharge. If you fly to the mall or something you want to be able to get back.

Reactions: MTO
I want to fly one! What fun and would gladly pay $250 to try it out. Imagine a lot of very cool accessories will be coming after release. Sorry Coal, this model already has wetsuit and floats. ?

Yeh I give it a go after some rigorous inspection, wonder what safety features this thing has,looks like it will come down at a rate of knots if something happen

Reactions: Capt KO and MTO
LIFT Aircraft is a private company in Austin Texas which has developed an electric, vertical takeoff and landing (eVTOL) aircraft. According to founder/CEO of DJI North America (Colin Guinn) LIFT is using technologies that have matured in the drone industry.

There are plans to open up LIFT locations where anyone will be able to rent aircraft and experience an entirely new kind of flying - pilot's license not required. And my neighbors thought my drone was a problem!

You can get on a waiting list for a test flight at their website:

See you in the sky.
View attachment 121553
Looks like instant fun to me. Wonder if there are any physical pilot limitations such as weight, height, etc. In other words, would LeBron James' head be forced downward into his lap and prevent him from seeing where he's going?...or would Kim Kardashian's cheeks hanging out on either side of the "cockpit" affect the aerodynamics of the drone?

If it functions like the first DJI drone I bought – it will drop from the sky like a brick for no obvious reason. Still, I got on the waiting list because technology has come a long way since then. As an ex-Air Force mechanic I can tell you multiple redundancies are built into military and commercial aircraft. And I will ensure that is case with the Lift aircraft before I step into that. I've had to commute in traffic in Chicago and Atlanta would have wanted the Lift just for that. There is a building in Chicago that looks a lot like the old World Trade Center towers and I would park the Lift right on top. I am certain there are weight limitations but you have to contact the company for that.

Yeh I give it a go after some rigorous inspection, wonder what safety features this thing has,looks like it will come down at a rate of knots if something happen
Probably use same parachute as on winged ultralights. At least an umbrella. Must be under 500lb incl operator to be ultralight and no licence to pilot. Big person might be out a luck.

Anybody see the total possible flight time on this rig?
Hexa can fly for up to 15 minutes on a charge with 25% battery remaining for safety margin.
Actual flight times are dependent on pilot weight and weather conditions, and will generally range from 8 to 15 minutes.
Ultralights are limited to flying 63 mph (55 knots) airspeed, and flights will be software limited to about 45 mph in Beginner mode.
Additional speed and maneuvering capabilities will be unlocked in Sport mode for advance pilots.

Reactions: CactusJackSlade
I suppose that those flights will be very limited to specific area (p,layground or something) otherwise can not imagine that the pilot license is not obligatory.

Another company that will petition to get our (RC Hobby)
airspace like Amazon and others have already done.
Not impressed.

Jerry

Reactions: MTO

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan