Hero2 v/s Hero 3 Jello

Reaction score
I recently upgraded from a Hero 2 to a Hero 3 Black Edition. I have noticed that Jello is a lot more present with the Hero 3. I have tried shooting 1080/60, 720/60, 720/120, 4k & 2k. Previously I used my Hero 2 in 720/60. Maybe it's just me being too critical, but has anyone else noticed this?

What are you mounting it with? I find much less jello using the Hero3 skeleton case than with the stock DJI mount and i think it is down to rigity... Less flex from the bulk of the heavier case. Mayb just me though (i use 1080/60).

jmabile said:
I recently upgraded from a Hero 2 to a Hero 3 Black Edition. I have noticed that Jello is a lot more present with the Hero 3. I have tried shooting 1080/60, 720/60, 720/120, 4k & 2k. Previously I used my Hero 2 in 720/60. Maybe it's just me being too critical, but has anyone else noticed this?

Better if you use with waterproof case (heavier and short a little flight time), but vibrations are less than with "naked case".
I also shot videos with 1080/60 fps Medium - And avoid sunny days scenes ! ;)

The key to getting rid of your jello is to balance your props. Also, if you buy props that are balanced for you, check them after a few flights. They will need to be balanced again. I'm using a HERO3 Black Edition at 1080p 60fps Medium setting. My videos are coming out okay in my opinion.

I'm also using the VGE anti-jello mount (E-Bay) and I placed a square piece of foam between the two carbon fiber pieces to help with some of the vibration you get when flying fast and making a turn. It's not perfect but it makes a difference. Good Luck!

Check out my recent video.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSwcNyYVj30[/youtube]

I'm using the GoPro waterproof case and my props are balanced. I just find that I got better video from a Hero 2 720/60 than I do out of a Hero 3 1080/60. Maybe I'm just being too critical, but I expected more out of the Hero 3. Gonna keep comparing them, but so far, I'm disappointed by the lighter, smaller camera. Also, another thing that I noticed is horrible vibrations when in full throttle mode that I never got with the Hero 2. Just trying to find out if anyone else upgraded and experienced any of this.

FangsCPO said:
The key to getting rid of your jello is to balance your props. Also, if you buy props that are balanced for you, check them after a few flights. They will need to be balanced again. I'm using a HERO3 Black Edition at 1080p 60fps Medium setting. My videos are coming out okay in my opinion.
Do you have any footage taken on sunny day ? That is the real proof for "jello free" solution.

jmabile said:
Also, another thing that I noticed is horrible vibrations when in full throttle mode that I never got with the Hero 2.

I think that right there tells you that either your props aren't actually balanced or you have one or more motors several out of balance.

I don't see any more jello with my Hero 3 than I do with my Hero 2.

I have a prop balancer, but how do you check for motors that are out of balance?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robvalduga