Help! Project Drone Build

Reaction score
First time poster, forgive me if I didn't post this in the right section. Feel free to move if I did.

For a project I'm working on, I have to build a multi-rotor 'drone'. The only problem is, my background is commercial fixed wing flying, not RC, so I'm looking for some help...

The requirements are:
Must have FPV
Must have autopilot
GPS waypoint navigation
GCS from a tablet or laptop
Must be able to display altitude and speed
Ability to stop & loiter
Ability to 'come home' if a connection is lost

I spent a lot of time browsing this forum and based on what others have said, I bought this: Buy F550 ARF KIT + Landing Gear + Naza-M V2 + Mounting Adapter for F550 + Zenmuse H3-3D (Standard) | DJI Store

I have a GoPro Hero 3, so I will use that with the mount that comes with the kit.

I'm posting for help because I am trying to find out what else I will need. I know I need a controller and batteries and a battery charger. But what else? Also, what controller and battery would you all recommend?

I saw this thing called a DJI iPad Ground Station:
iPad Ground Station - Waypoint flying at your fingertips | DJI
Is there anyway I can use that instead of a controller?

I want to use the GoPro for my FPV. How can i see altitude and speed? How could I get the video from the gopro to my ipad?

Should I buy this? DJI Lightbridge 2 – Professional Quality Live Streaming From the Sky

Again, I'm new to all this so I have no idea what I need to buy, so I was hoping you all here could tell me what I need to buy and tell me the best brand/product for this project? Thank you!

This site is also quite good ...

FPV HUB FPV HUB Index

Reads to me a P2V+ transplanted into something else - then modified with the H3-3D/GoPro setup, it will use Litchi for your waypoint/app fun and can display the telemetry to your goggles from the onboard GoPro, note - the P2V+ uses 2.4 for video and 5.8 for transmitter so goggles with 2.4ghz receiver would be needed.

Last edited:
The F550 kit you linked to is a good starting point to satisfy your list of requirements.
The Naza M V.2 gives good stable flight,can hover/stop & loiter and has return to home failsafe if connection is lost and can be selected from controller at will.

You would need to add an on screen display to get speed and altitude,an iOSD Mini from DJI will plug strait in to the Naza M v.2 system and is faily easy to set up with FPV systems.
I use the Naza M V.2 on my hex with iOSD Mini and it works well.It gives info on altitude,speed,distance from start point,climb/descent rate battery voltage etc.

For FPV you will need to add a video transmitter and a receiver as well,goggles or screen with built in receiver is best.
There are lots to choose from,it's a huge market these days.
I use Immersion video transmitter and Fatshark goggles and I can't fault them.
A set of cloverleaf antennas is the best to start with.Most kits come with strait dipole antennas but they are usually not very good so replacing them with cloverleafs is the go.
I use a set of DJI clover leafs and they are good for 1300 meters range in clear surrounds.

For waypoint flying it depends on how much you want to spend.
The iPad Ground Station is good and only costs a few hundred dollars to buy where the Lightbridge 2 setup is well over a thousand dollars.$2300 on average here in Australia.
The iPad Ground Station does have a built in controller but it would be best to have a stand alone controller like Futaba or Teranis to be able to free fly without the iPad/Ground Station setup or to take control if something goes wrong during a waypoint mission.
Lightbridge does come with a controller but Ground Station and a Futaba or Teranis controller will still cost way less,at most around $700 to $800,going by what I paid,probably much less outside Australia.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic