Help bringing a vision to reality?

Reaction score
Hello, everyone. I have a vision for a video and am looking for some suggestions for how to pull it off. The general idea is to climb within a fairly limited space in a eucalyptus stand, hopefully when sidelight is coming through light morning fog.

I'm flying a P4P Plus (the one with the controller with built-in screen). I've got about a 15' radius to work in without contacting any branches. Pretty tight. My plan is to start about 10' off the ground with the camera facing straight forward. I would then ascend slowly while very gradually moving the gimble down and hopefully ending up about 80' directly above my starting point with the gimble having moved so it is facing directly down by the time the shot ends. I may need to yaw some during the process depending upon what it all looks like once I'm up there. I've been practicing away from trees to try to get the knack of ascending with the left joystick while simultaneously using the gimble wheel (also on the left side of the controller) to gradually move the camera down. It's very tough to get a smooth gimble roll with the dial. I was thinking it best to do this in tripod mode so I can take advantage of the side sensors as well as the front and back. Given the tight area, I may need to use the sensor narrowing feature.

Is there a way to automate all of this (including the gimble roll) even though I'm using the Plus controller that doesn't allow you to add apps? Anyone got any other tips for how to bring this vision to reality (e.g., video settings, etc)? Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have!

Too bad you can't fly with Litchi. I believe you could plan a waypoint mission that would do your shot easily. The last time I checked, the P4P did not allow Litchi to be added.

Good luck,
Jim
WA5TEF

I think you’re right about that, Jim. So Lichti will let you preset gimbal movements as well as yaw and ascent? I can set waypoints on my Plus but I think that’s only for a path of travel.

Might be worth pairing it with a regular controller so I can use Lichti on an iphone.

I think you’re right about that, Jim. So Lichti will let you preset gimbal movements as well as yaw and ascent? I can set waypoints on my Plus but I think that’s only for a path of travel.

Might be worth pairing it with a regular controller so I can use Lichti on an iphone.
Yep on Litchi. I first considered upgrading from my Phantom 4 to the Pro until I read here that Litchi could not be installed on it. Litchi has so much to offer not to be used on the Pro.

Before I always cautiously flew FPV until I tried Waypoints and I was much impressed. Playing with the missions in Mission Hub and modifying it and flying again is like playing with model railroads! I love Litchi.
Jim
WA5TEF

Bay flyer I didn’t answer your question since I got off on praising Litchi.

Yes on waypoints. You can set multiple waypoints from ground level to your top shot. Each Waypoint can be set to altitude, speed of ascent, camera angle, yaw, and more. You can set each Waypoint to stop and make a photograph or pano shot and then continue video. Lots that can be done.

I hope you can try it and post your results here.
Thanks
Jim
WA5TEF

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spaz_12