Have any of you Filmed your kids schools athletic events.

Reaction score
My youngest son is going to run track and I was wondering if anyone has been ab me to get approval. I'm guessing all schools that are competing would have to agree. Maybe im over thinking it but just preparing for the worst but wanting to see if anyone else has tried it or not.

Filming "kids" from the air is a taboo thing even though you can do it all day long from the ground. Makes no sense but today's society is silly scared of flying cameras and even more so around kids.

Reactions: Huge Bama Fan
Thank you for all input I agree makes no sense. Safety wise if I'm in the infield no risk for the kids but like I told my wife may e more trouble than worth. However im going to find put lol.

Plus it falls outside of the FAA definition of "hobby/recreation" so you'd need your 107 certificate if go don't already have it.

for personal use and sharing with other parent friends while getting nothing in return?

It's 100% intent of the flight at the time of the flight. Honestly it boils down to how you "word" your intentions. Here are 2 scenarios:

• A) Parent films the event for their own personal "video" scrap album. Totally hobby/336. This video can later be shared with anyone so long as it was made with the soul intent of the parent's own personal enjoyment. Let's say something amazing or something horrible happens and you get it on video, it's yours to share as you wish as long as your intent of the flight was 100% hobby/recreational. Now if this same "coincidence" happens multiple times it will be a lot more difficult to claim "hobby/336" if your video keeps showing up on the evening news.

• B) Parent films the event with the intentions of sharing it with coach/school/media to promote, critique, or simply entertain others. This is 100% Part 107.

One potential caveat is this (and this is my opinion so take it for what you paid for it), if you do anything during the flight that falls outside of hobby/336 the whole flight defaults to Part 107 regulations. Also remember that local ordinances can come into play and are fully enforceable even if you're operating as 336/hobbyist: Harassment, Trespassing, Reckless & Endangerment, Privacy issues and more. Don't forget that you have to account for more than just FAA hobby guidelines and in this overly "paranoid" society I think I would avoid getting any additional scrutiny on myself and of course it will fall back on your kids like it or not.

It's 100% intent of the flight at the time of the flight. Honestly it boils down to how you "word" your intentions. Here are 2 scenarios:

• A) Parent films the event for their own personal "video" scrap album. Totally hobby/336. This video can later be shared with anyone so long as it was made with the soul intent of the parent's own personal enjoyment. Let's say something amazing or something horrible happens and you get it on video, it's yours to share as you wish as long as your intent of the flight was 100% hobby/recreational. Now if this same "coincidence" happens multiple times it will be a lot more difficult to claim "hobby/336" if your video keeps showing up on the evening news.

• B) Parent films the event with the intentions of sharing it with coach/school/media to promote, critique, or simply entertain others. This is 100% Part 107.

One potential caveat is this (and this is my opinion so take it for what you paid for it), if you do anything during the flight that falls outside of hobby/336 the whole flight defaults to Part 107 regulations. Also remember that local ordinances can come into play and are fully enforceable even if you're operating as 336/hobbyist: Harassment, Trespassing, Reckless & Endangerment, Privacy issues and more. Don't forget that you have to account for more than just FAA hobby guidelines and in this overly "paranoid" society I think I would avoid getting any additional scrutiny on myself and of course it will fall back on your kids like it or not.
Yep its the last part I think will be the biggest hurdle

I’m not sure I understand the “or simply to entertain” part. How does that make it part 107 activity? Put another way, I think almost all of us here intend to post our aerial videos here or on YouTube to simply entertain others so how is all of this not part 107 activity under that seemingly broad guideline. I’m guessing I’ve misinterpreted something here. I totally get the promoting part. But I regularly entertain parents with my hobby still photos of sports events. And I regularly entertain you all and others with my aerial videos.

Edit: I think I see where I may have misread. If I share with the school or coach so they can reshare it’s part 107. But if I intend to just send the link to parents to entertain then it’s hobby. Do I have that about right?

I’m not sure I understand the “or simply to entertain” part. How does that make it part 107 activity? Put another way, I think almost all of us here intend to post our aerial videos here or on YouTube to simply entertain others so how is all of this not part 107 activity under that seemingly broad guideline. I’m guessing I’ve misinterpreted something here. I totally get the promoting part.

I could have worded that better... if you take it, with intent, to give to others (ie you take it for someone else) then it's not hobby. If you take it for your own recreational use (sound like another "product" LOL) and then later decide to "share" it, it was probably recreational "at the time".

But I regularly entertain parents with my hobby still photos of sports events. And I regularly entertain you all and others with my aerial videos.

Edit: I think I see where I may have misread. If I share with the school or coach so they can reshare it’s part 107. But if I intend to just send the link to parents to entertain then it’s hobby. Do I have that about right?

I'm not talking about sharing it here on the forum or YouTube for others to enjoy. I'm talking about initially taking it in order to sharing it in a manner for the coach/school/media to use it such as to promote/educate/critique. Let's say you take it purely "for the coach" and you give them the video. They use the video to analyze the game etc. Or they use it to promote the sport/school.

You can not "Do something for someone else" and it fall under Section 336/Hobby/recreational. Even if no money or any compensation is given you can not do it for someone else.

It's really splitting hairs and 9 times out of 10 it really shouldn't matter. This is getting much deeper than the OP intended but I'd rather be a bit long winded and someone NOT do something to get themselves into a less than positive spotlight. Like it or not we are all lumped into this together. We are guilty by association.

I could have worded that better... if you take it, with intent, to give to others (ie you take it for someone else) then it's not hobby. If you take it for your own recreational use (sound like another "product" LOL) and then later decide to "share" it, it was probably recreational "at the time".

I'm not talking about sharing it here on the forum or YouTube for others to enjoy. I'm talking about initially taking it in order to sharing it in a manner for the coach/school/media to use it such as to promote/educate/critique. Let's say you take it purely "for the coach" and you give them the video. They use the video to analyze the game etc. Or they use it to promote the sport/school.

You can not "Do something for someone else" and it fall under Section 336/Hobby/recreational. Even if no money or any compensation is given you can not do it for someone else.

It's really splitting hairs and 9 times out of 10 it really shouldn't matter. This is getting much deeper than the OP intended but I'd rather be a bit long winded and someone NOT do something to get themselves into a less than positive spotlight. Like it or not we are all lumped into this together. We are guilty by association.
I follow...I'm just doing it for me. I just wonder about all the red tape of getting approval to fly.

Makes sense. Put another way, if I take the video with the intent to share on YouTube, I’m doing it for me; my ego. LOL.

I follow...I'm just doing it for me. I just wonder about all the red tape of getting approval to fly.

It depends on how the local Govt and School view sUAS flights. When I fly at the local schools during the larger football games for our Emergency Services and we provide "Fly Over Observation" (video feed to Command Post) I have to get approval from the school Principle, County School Superintendent, and a letter of approval signed by the County Attorney.

Granted I could fly "off property" and avoid a lot of those approvals but that's not how we operate and by getting those approvals I'm covered should someone complain.

It depends on how the local Govt and School view sUAS flights. When I fly at the local schools during the larger football games for our Emergency Services and we provide "Fly Over Observation" (video feed to Command Post) I have to get approval from the school Principle, County School Superintendent, and a letter of approval signed by the County Attorney.

Granted I could fly "off property" and avoid a lot of those approvals but that's not how we operate and by getting those approvals I'm covered should someone complain.
Thanks that's what i was looking for was who all would I need to reach out to

Thanks that's what i was looking for was who all would I need to reach out to

Start with the Principle and see what he/she allows and go from there. Possibly only his/her blessing.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nwbailey