Has anyone else made this strange mistake?

Hey Stones. I had the same problem, even more so, it took me about 6 flights to find that Styrofoam thing. Never had any message until I updated the firmware (drone) yesterday and received numerous errors message of the type "gimbal overload". Then I had a close look at the gimbal an remove that piece of protection. Now at start up I am getting a new noise from the gimbal. I was wandering if I can go back to previous firmware version and then re-update, could fix that noise? I did get the error messages after an update so maybe re-updating it could fix it.
So here is a question for you.

Ing.
My 1st guess would be that if you've flown 6 times with the styrofoam in place, that could've caused some damage to the gimbal, hence the noise. But, if the noise only just started after a firmware update then, yes, it may be possible to correct it with a downgrade/upgrade. I Have no pertinent data to back that up so, your call. I would do a search on the forums to see if this has worked for anyone else. Best of luck to you.
Edit: Smiller's post above I think nails it.

Last edited:
So bottom line, in all likelihood you have done no harm. The noise you hear may just be part of the startup calibration routine that you never heard before, simply because the gimbal was restricted.

Two in a row... Hero of the Day.
Sorry about Cross-Posting I have answered you in the other thread.
Where do you get all that knowledge, coil, magnets, bearing are you engineer?.

Ing.

The actual device is called a stepper motor which is a simple mechanism that allows accurate positioning of something, in this case the gimbal. Stepper motors are simple and light and provide good speed control and torque for their size but unlike full servos cannot determine their location if disturbed, thus the need to calibrate themselves upon power-up. This is why the gimbal briefly moves full travel in all directions when the aircraft is powered on, and of course it makes some noises while doing so and this is normal.

The important thing regarding your question is that a stepper motor operates electromagnetically and there is no physical gearing or any physical connection of the two parts, only magnetic, so usually no damage occurs if the device is prevented from moving (although obviously it isn't going to work as intended either.) You might want to perform a gimbal calibration in the DJI GO app just to be sure that the internal calibration tables are still OK, and if not the calibration procedure will remedy that.

Reactions: Ing Zimmerman
It also took me several flights before I noticed the foam guard. Never caused a problem. I'm 65, glad to see other older pilots have fun also. I'm in Fort Worth. Any pilots from around here and where are you places of choice to fly?

Go onto
It also took me several flights before I noticed the foam guard. Never caused a problem. I'm 65, glad to see other older pilots have fun also. I'm in Fort Worth. Any pilots from around here and where are you places of choice to fly?

Go onto :-

Drone Reg

Have a look. There may be someone close. Scroll down a bit to view the map.

Wouldn't it be handy for everyone to register?

Reactions: SteveZeb
That also happened to me. It seems to be a common error to leave that small packing block in place. No damage. I have also, multiple times, launched with the gimbal brace left on. One very helpful hint I learned on this forum was to tie a "blue ribbon" to the brace. Now it's very obvious. Since then, I have yet to take off with the brace on.

The actual device is called a stepper motor which is a simple mechanism that allows accurate positioning of something, in this case the gimbal. Stepper motors are simple and light and provide good speed control and torque for their size but unlike full servos cannot determine their location if disturbed, thus the need to calibrate themselves upon power-up. This is why the gimbal briefly moves full travel in all directions when the aircraft is powered on, and of course it makes some noises while doing so and this is normal.

The important thing regarding your question is that a stepper motor operates electromagnetically and there is no physical gearing or any physical connection of the two parts, only magnetic, so usually no damage occurs if the device is prevented from moving (although obviously it isn't going to work as intended either.) You might want to perform a gimbal calibration in the DJI GO app just to be sure that the internal calibration tables are still OK, and if not the calibration procedure will remedy that.

How do the yaw and roll motors determine their position? Unlike the pitch motor, these two do not move to full travel on power up, presumably these axes have separate angle sensors?

I got my new P4A yesterday and after all of the firmware updates and a little bit of uncooperative weather here in Denver today I just completed its inaugural flight. I was so excited and I had a little bit of an audience which was a little bit anxiety inducing - especially once I realize that the quad that had the firmware update but I had not updated the firmware on the remote so they all got to sit there and stare at me while that went through its paces. Anyway I get it up in the air and I can't control the gamble at all and I don't know why.... until I landed and looked at it. The padded soft styrofoam - kind of a soft rubbery stabilizer that fits behind the gimble, well - I missed it and failed to remove it. DJI seemed to go out of their way to make that piece of shipping foam almost the same exact color of the gimbal itself. There was a tiny little red sticker on there with an "!" saying in tiny print to remove before flight. But it was easy to miss it and I did. I wish DJI would make it stand out so you know it shouldn't be there. But, I also shouldn't have launched without testing my gimble movements first. Just thought I'd share my dumb mistake in an effort to prevent anyone else from doing the same thing. You know, the good ole "if it saves just one child" concept. [emoji38]

It's been pouring rain ever since I landed and I its about to clear up I hope everything works as it should. I'll report back. Any suggestions or advice I'm all ears.
I fly a P3 and P4 and also a Yuneec Q500+....I am forgetful when it comes to turning on the video during flight, unless I use Litchi and it turns on automatically. I have come close to leaving the Gimbal cover on but did not, however I now use a set of five laminated checklist strips that I attached to my controller harness so they are very available for making sure everything is in place before a flight, it works for me. home | Leesburg, Fl. | dronesvisions.com .. I am 67 and can't remember what I had for breakfast sometimes. FLY SAFE!

Reactions: PhatHD
I fly a P3 and P4 and also a Yuneec Q500+....I am forgetful when it comes to turning on the video during flight, unless I use Litchi and it turns on automatically. I have come close to leaving the Gimbal cover on but did not, however I now use a set of five laminated checklist strips that I attached to my controller harness so they are very available for making sure everything is in place before a flight, it works for me. home | Leesburg, Fl. | dronesvisions.com .. I am 67 and can't remember what I had for breakfast sometimes. FLY SAFE![/QUOTE

I also use a checklist every time before flight. The DJI preflight checklist is awesome and free.
The checklist has saved my tail several times including gimbal brace, prop tightness, etc.

I've never used my piece of styrofoam since I took it out of its box! Always used the gimbal clamp and now bought a lens cover/gimbal clamp combined. Shoud I still use the piece of foam as well?

I got my new P4A yesterday and after all of the firmware updates and a little bit of uncooperative weather here in Denver today I just completed its inaugural flight. I was so excited and I had a little bit of an audience which was a little bit anxiety inducing - especially once I realize that the quad that had the firmware update but I had not updated the firmware on the remote so they all got to sit there and stare at me while that went through its paces. Anyway I get it up in the air and I can't control the gamble at all and I don't know why.... until I landed and looked at it. The padded soft styrofoam - kind of a soft rubbery stabilizer that fits behind the gimble, well - I missed it and failed to remove it. DJI seemed to go out of their way to make that piece of shipping foam almost the same exact color of the gimbal itself. There was a tiny little red sticker on there with an "!" saying in tiny print to remove before flight. But it was easy to miss it and I did. I wish DJI would make it stand out so you know it shouldn't be there. But, I also shouldn't have launched without testing my gimble movements first. Just thought I'd share my dumb mistake in an effort to prevent anyone else from doing the same thing. You know, the good ole "if it saves just one child" concept. [emoji38]

It's been pouring rain ever since I landed and I its about to clear up I hope everything works as it should. I'll report back. Any suggestions or advice I'm all ears.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I was going to fly mine for the first time tomorrow and the stupid thing on the gimble was on mine as well.

Reactions: THECaptainKirk
Here to join the "Over 70" Club" (pushin' 74 right now) - but haven't qualified for the "Forgot-to-remove-the-foam-thingy Club" . . . yet! Not to hurt anyone's feelings but I hope I never do join that latter group.

Back in my private pilot flying days I, along with several of my fellow owners, watched a cocky young pilot take off from our local airport in OUR airplane only to see him make an abbreviated circuit of cross-wind, down-wind, base leg, and turn to final - followed by a less that glass-smooth touchdown and roll-out. He stopped on the runway, got out of the airplane, then walked over and retrieved the "Remove Before Flight"-equipped pitot tube cover from that protuberance that it was designed to fit over. He then casually got back in the plane and took off for his trip. He thought we hadn't seen his little "senor moment", but we did. And we never let him forget it after that, either!

I haven't forgotten the guard but I've (very minorly) crashed mine into a tree, which sent the drone right way up falling onto the road with the force spreading the legs a bit just enough for the concrete to hit the gimbal and put a nice dent in it.

The gimbal was stuck crooked no matter which way the drone was oriented, and as I freaked out about breaking it, a few restarts fixed it up.

So in the end-gimbals will be strong when you don't expect them. [emoji28][emoji106]

Hey Stones. I had the same problem, even more so, it took me about 6 flights to find that Styrofoam thing. Never had any message until I updated the firmware (drone) yesterday and received numerous errors message of the type "gimbal overload". Then I had a close look at the gimbal an remove that piece of protection. Now at start up I am getting a new noise from the gimbal. I was wandering if I can go back to previous firmware version and then re-update, could fix that noise? I did get the error messages after an update so maybe re-updating it could fix it.
So here is a question for you.

Ing.
Oh Dude......well, after that abuse your best bet is to try and do a whole new re-set and hope that your restricted gibmal wasn't f'...d up. Maybe you're OK..maybe not??

If it's any consolation I did that same thing but without an audience. But I agree. Dji should make it more noticeable. Peace

Some of you get it (or my sense of humor) and thank you for being witty enough to even recognize it. Then some of you are way too nerdy, serious and even go as far as pointing out another "stupid" mistake. How rude, Ms. Goof. How rude. Where is the "Goof Off" when we need it? This post wasn't rocket science and I included plenty of self deprecating humor. I simply was wondering if I was alone in this error and if anyone else agreed that DJI should change the color of that packing / shipping piece, so those of us young and old will know to remove it. The first reply I get back advised me on not letting my audience influence me. That's like asking Johnny Carson to not be affected if people laugh at his jokes or not. when he was on TV years ago I remember feeling his pain. I loved his comedic genius. Johnny, if alive today would be flying a Spark with his 8th wife, I figure.

I was sarcastically responding to what I thought was a silly bit of irrelevant advice. Poking a little fun. Then Ms. Goof decides to lecture me on when where and how at what temperature and battery levels to do my firmware updates. Pfft.

I have to say, I love this forum. It's a great source of info and at times amusement. I'd much rather be a part of the amusement provided than those who take this all SOOO serious and lecture like these 3 pound RC cameras are children or an endangered, protected species.

NoCoDrones - you seem like a fun and rational person. So, what I do is I fly my sequin covered Phantom in on the stage and I entertain the audience with all sorts of anecdotes, terrific piano playing WHILE simultaneously flying my Phantom. Sometimes the Phantom lands on just the right keys to complete that crescendo to the Chopin Fantasia. Yes, it draws huge crowds. So excuuuuuse me for making the fatal error of being excited about a new Phantom that I had just had freshly covered in 800 sequins and it almost ruined my act. I volunteer this act and never take donations. I just need the love and adoration of my audience. It's all a timing thing and to wait for an hour for firmware updates doesn't leave me in a good position. I had to improvise with one of my backup quads, the Walkera Rodeo 210. I flew it directly into the candelabra on my piano and broke two blades from my 3 blades props I just put on it. I usually fly that one (sans any sequins) accompanied on piano to Aaron Copeland's song of the same name as the one I flew into that chandelier. It was a bad night.

Anyway, I'm considering cancelling the whole gig because the crowds are getting out of control and I just get mobbed. And I don't even fly FPV!! Plus, if the FAA knew I had sequins on my Phantom they'd probably fine me. Well, the current prez wouldn't but that last guy would have. I digress.

[emoji16]

Reactions: Goof

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj