Harassed by a hawk and his mates

Reaction score
I had to abort my flight over the river tonight... as I got out over the river from take-off I noticed this small hawk-like bird quite close to my P3. He was making quite a noise but wasn't close enough to bother me too much so I completed my first video footage over the local Transporter Bridge.

When I turned around and brought the P3 directly above the structure I got quite a shock to see he had called in 3 of his Top-Gun mates and I had 4 of them circling around pretty **** close to the P3 while above the river!!!

I decided to abort and kick full speed towards my landing area at which point they all gave chase - to say I was worried was an understatement! I hit the return home button and once it got below a certain height they decided to leave me alone to land it safely and in one piece.

I've read that seagulls don't like these things, I've no idea what these were, smaller than seagulls. Strangely enough I've played back the video and cannot see them so they must have remained below me more than it actually looked.

Anyway... I took a photo at the very start which I'm quite pleased with :)

Attachments

• DJI_0001b.JPG
    DJI_0001b.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 673
That's a pretty cool photo. Did you edit the saturation? It seems just a tad high in the blue.

I am thinking of adding a small revolver to my P3P, maybe be able to pick up dinner on the next flight. Keep telling my neighbors if they decide to shoot at my "drone" it may shoot back. lol

IMG_0609.jpg
In all seriousness though I have had swallows and crows get interested. The swallows get closer than I find comfortable. Have some Ospreys around that have shown interest but I avoid those majestic birds aggressively.

That's a pretty cool photo. Did you edit the saturation? It seems just a tad high in the blue.

Thanks, yea I sharpened it a little in Photoshop (PC) and then tweaked it more on my iPhone using the wonderful VSCOcam as it has gorgeous subtle filters. The bridge is quite pale so I settled on this one just to show it off a little better :)

Yea and the Riverside Stadium in the background, had I not been attacked I was going to head towards the stadium a little, quite cool around there. You from this neck of the woods?

I knew it was! Yes mate I'm from Stockton :) I'm struggling to find places to fly any suggestions?

I knew it was! Yes mate I'm from Stockton :) I'm struggling to find places to fly any suggestions?

Did you see my flight under the Infinity Bridge? That was pretty cool.

Yarm viaduct by the river, head to Seaton/Hartlepool for some coastal shots, further north I'd try Penshaw monument, Angel of the North etc.... probably loads more I can't even think of!

No I didn't see it but **** man you have guts to fly under that! I'm going to head to saltburn tomorrow I think.

Good on ya for giving those birds the sky. I do the same. I've read that they can easily lose legs and feet if they come into contact with the props. That's pretty much a death sentence for them!

Good on ya for giving those birds the sky. I do the same. I've read that they can easily lose legs and feet if they come into contact with the props. That's pretty much a death sentence for them!

Snerd

When they grow in number it gets real scary!!!! o_Oo_O--how about 2 to about 50! been there and done that! Looked like a death sentence for my Phantom-- I go the heck out of there and close to the ground pretty quickly :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Reactions: snerd
Wow those shots look amazing, I may have to head down to town and take my bird when it stops raining!
Be on the lookout for the Kestrels-- they are looking for Phantoms to destroy :confused::mad::eek:

I am thinking of adding a small revolver to my P3P, maybe be able to pick up dinner on the next flight. Keep telling my neighbors if they decide to shoot at my "drone" it may shoot back. lol

View attachment 23808 .
In all seriousness though I have had swallows and crows get interested. The swallows get closer than I find comfortable. Have some Ospreys around that have shown interest but I avoid those majestic birds aggressively.

While I really like the joke I think we should be careful with these kinds of photos. They might be taken out of context on some image search and end up being taken serious by drone haters/media.
Am I paranoid?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31