Votes: 4 4.9%
  • HAND CATCH

Votes: 64 79.0%
  • OTHER

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • JUST WANTED TO SEE HOW BAD IT WOULD BE BY STICKING BODY PART

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Yeah, I noticed that later. No gloves. But his face would be pretty safe.

Since I've gotten out of the habit of calibrating the compass every time I fly (and confusing the hell out of anybody watching me), I'm thinking I need some sort of costume to grab folks attention......

You can get these pretty cheap on eBay. Just put a video panel in front in place of the glass faceplate and you have the ultimate FPV suit.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/e0/28/cb/e028cbc1b4fee133ee5af1707730d41b.jpg
Need one of those astronaut A/C units though. Gets toasty here in Florida.

I take off from the ground and I land on the ground and only use the controller stick. (No take off or land button)...

It's not because I can't hand launch/catch, but I consider that the take off and landing is an integral part of the flying experience. It gives me a sense of satisfaction lifting off and heading out on a mission, then returning and touching down gently before shutting off the motors.

Reactions: snerd
Yeah, I feel the same way. I have hand caught when conditions warrant, but I like the whole take off, fly, return to hover and land manually exactly where I want. Gotta keep the skills sharp.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I still consider myself new to this with approx 40 flights but I always take off from a board and hand catch as others say above my head.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Although the title of this post is semi correct, I will leave it up to experts here on Phantom Pilots. Going to post these photos now to get some really expert comments, suggestions or recommended future upgrades to my P3A. I shall explain what happened after I see some great comments/posts. Please comment! I need some humor like we all do!

Semper Fi

The topic says "HAND LAUNCH OR CATCH YOU BE THE JUDGE! LOL NOT REALLY" - I assume you hand launched and didn't give it enough stick and it messed you up.
After 3 pages of awesome comments, you still have not explained what happened.

I take off from the ground and I land on the ground and only use the controller stick. (No take off or land button)...

It's not because I can't hand launch/catch, but I consider that the take off and landing is an integral part of the flying experience. It gives me a sense of satisfaction lifting off and heading out on a mission, then returning and touching down gently before shutting off the motors.

I do the same when I can but it's a rare day for me to have a level surface because I love launching from the rocks down at one of our swimming holes. Being that the rocks are slick and not level, landing on the rocks is too dangerous. As you can see below they are around 10° off angle at best. I do take off from the rocks, and because they aren't level, the first time I was wondering if it would hold steady or maybe tip over, and it was fine. It drifts in the angle that the props are pointing, but as soon as it's in the air, it levels itself quickly. Obviously, hand catching is a must, and bringing the bird right to me while I am sitting on the rocks gives me that feeling of finishing it out complete as much as actual landing does :)

Untitled.jpg

Seriously planty of flat areas on the rock by you to land it properly.

I usually handcatch the drone, but always on the height were I have to stretch my hand to reach it, if it go berserk it won't hit me...so far [emoji6]
But my brother had a chase once and the hand and but got a little bloody

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

My guess is that you tipped over on landing and ran over to turn it right side up. When you grabbed it and turned it, it tried to level itself out and one of the motors started spinning fast that previously wasn't spinning. The first slice was on your arm and as you pulled away it sliced your thumb.

How on earth do you guys do this to yourself :D, honestly been flying these things for as long as they have been around, I catch mine 9/10 times? Never even remotely came near doing that to myself!! However! Seeing that hahah

How on earth do you guys do this to yourself :D, honestly been flying these things for as long as they have been around, I catch mine 9/10 times? Never even remotely came near doing that to myself!! However! Seeing that hahah
Exactly my question. I hand catch every time I fly and have been since shortly after I got my P3P and watching it fall over once it touched the ground. The landing gear touched down and nothing more than a pebble on one side and it was just enough to tip it.

I bring the P3 to a hover at a little over five feet, let it stabilize, and reach up to grab the gear. Been doing that for a year and a half with no problems at all.

Common sense dictates how safely you can hand catch. :rolleyes:

Why is the blood all spread around like that? It looks like a tiny cut with blood spread all over the place. I mean, there's blood in places where there's not even a scratch. Doesn't look right at all.

As for hand launching or catching the bird? Don't try to catch it by the props. Catch it by the landing gear.

Although the title of this post is semi correct, I will leave it up to experts here on Phantom Pilots. Going to post these photos now to get some really expert comments, suggestions or recommended future upgrades to my P3A. I shall explain what happened after I see some great comments/posts. Please comment! I need some humor like we all do!

Semper Fi

With my prosthetic heart valve, I take coumadin everyday.
Hand catch?...... think I'll pass

If I have a good level take off/ landing place, I will land or take off from it, but if I am out on the boat, i will hand catch, but I bring it down that I can reach up to grab the landing leg, have hand launched a couple times, but when I do I make sure when it leaves my hand, it is going up and out from me. Only hand launched from the boat when was rough water no good place to launch off.

So, even though I often hover my drone and walk up to pluck it out of the air, why do I/we do this if there is a risk? It's easy enough to land it on the ground. I'm only a couple months into flying, but I think I'll start doing that every time.

okay so 3 pages and he still hasn't explained what happened, he hasn't even responded since last Sunday. I think it is time to close the thread.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers