Hand Held Radios

Do you not have NOTAMS over there ?
In the UK I have signed up and get daily reports of aircraft in and around me, that have filed flight plans.

Do you not have NOTAMS over there ?
In the UK I have signed up and get daily reports of aircraft in and around me, that have filed flight plans.

The concern is not about aircraft flying under flight plans or ATC; it's about pilots flying under Visual Flight Rules and simply sightseeing or having fun. I live in a rural area on the Pacific coastline of northern California. Many pilots fly low for sightseeing. I often fly over the water to take scenic photos of the rocky shoreline, beaches and structures. NOTAMS are irrelevant to my safety concerns. Most small aircraft using the local uncontrolled aiport are flying under VFR, and virtually all of them monitor the local COM frequency for nearby traffic.

Reactions: Cellblock776
I have doubts about all this and see if more of a huge distraction from just looking up and monitoring the sky yourself. Even with a radio, remember....They aren't talking constantly and travel possibly miles between transmission. So not sure how monitoring a radio, hoping your hear the plane that might be near you, would help.

Reactions: N017RW
I have doubts about all this and see if more of a huge distraction from just looking up and monitoring the sky yourself. Even with a radio, remember....They aren't talking constantly and travel possibly miles between transmission. So not sure how monitoring a radio, hoping your hear the plane that might be near you, would help.

The radio is not a distraction since it is just sitting on my drone case tuned to Unicom where I can hear it if any plane nearby transmits. The whole local area is within 5 miles of the only airport, so anyone taking off or approaching will transmit. No big deal, but may come in handy someday.

Before and during flights, I carry a hand-held scanner that receives multiple aircraft channels and also the local EMS dispatch and communication channels. Our local LifeFlight helicopter rescue service is dispatched and communicates with local EMS personnel during their flights on the EMS radio channels. Any and I mean any notice of a helio in the air is enough to have me ground my drone. But nothing compares to good ears and careful observation of the surrounding area for signs of approaching helios. In addition, I am especially careful around any areas known for helio operations and avoid them whenever possible. A fast hello can sneak up on you very quickly.

Reactions: SF327
It can be a useful tool (scanners, monitors). But there are many reasons why it should not be relied on.
If folks feel the need or desire to listen there’s no harm.

Since, I became a UAV pilot a bit over a year ago, I have been astounded by the number of manned air-craft that are flying below 400 feet AGL. Although required to be 500 feet or more AGL over rural areas, fixed wing air-craft often are not. Helicopters seem to be able to fly at any altitude they feel like. All of this makes me nervous, when I am flying at 400 feet in areas where visibility is limited.

I am considering purchase of a hand-held radio, that can be dialed to the common aviation channel. I would then announce my presence before take-off and maybe during the flight. Is anyone doing this?

The human eye is the absolutely worst instrument for determining altitude. As a pilot for more than a half-century, I can guarantee you that you probably haven't seen a manned aircraft below 500 ft that is not taking off or landing. The altitude rules for helicopters are more forgiving, but en-route flight is supposed to also be above 500 ft.

If you can become the first ever sUAS pilot to get the required FCC station license to transmit on aircraft frequencies, then by all means, go for it. (Come to think of it, I am unaware that any off-airport station licenses have ever been granted). Unless you are near an airport, it is highly unlikely that any manned aircraft would even hear your transmissions. (Assuming that you could get the station license required by FCC rules). Also, unless you are near a small airport, even monitoring the UNICOM frequency would be more of a distraction than a safety issue. Finally, at uncontrolled airports more than 30 miles from a Class B airport, small aircraft are not required to use their radio, or even to have a radio.

If you are operating close enough to an airport to make an aircraft radio even remotely useful, then should you even be flying there?

And, if I haven't mentioned it yet, transmitting on aircraft frequencies is a violation of 47 CFR 87.18. There are more than a few people who had to mortgage everything they own to pay the fines. (Every transmission is a new violation, so the fines can easily approach six figures real fast). There are a few individuals who caused mayhem by pretending to be an airport tower operator who lived for a few years in a gated community that few people want to visit.

Ok, I'll admit I'm a newbie, but when I take my FAA sUAS certification test this week, my head is crammed with all kinds of communication stuff and it would seem that (reading the study guides and looking at practice questions) a drone pilot should not only have a radio, but communicate according to FAA rules. Having read through this thread, it would seem otherwise.

Seems to me, the OP was asking a legit question. However, I get the sense that these questions are more "red tape" to get the certification than actual "in practice" operations. Obtaining a radio license cannot be significantly more difficult than the sUAS cert. Obviously it's not a necessity, loosely based on comments in this thread, but here's the $150 question...

Is all this stuff I'm studying about operations and communications just so I can pass the test? Personally, I'm thinking of getting a hand held and monitoring pertinent frequencies.

It’s fine to monitor aviation, or any other, freqs.
I encourage it.

However... As an FAA licensed sUAS operator you have no FCC radio station call-sign. This restricts transmissions in the Aviation band.

I use my aviation handheld to monitor the Unicom frequency of the only local airport. I would only transmit in an emergency, and my position is that the preservation of life and safety trumps (pardon the expression) the license thing. Of course the first thing I would do if I'm flying my drone is lose altitude to avoid any possible collision. See and avoid is the rule. Warning of danger makes sense too.

It’s fine to monitor aviation, or any other, freqs.
I encourage it.

However... As an FAA licensed sUAS operator you have no FCC radio station call-sign. This restricts transmissions in the Aviation band.

I get that and understand the call sign deal. My confusion lies in the sample test questions concerning what transmissions an operator should make in given situations. Thanks.

I use my aviation handheld to monitor the Unicom frequency of the only local airport. ...truncated for brevity

Makes sense to me. Thanks.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4