Greetings Phantom Pilots, just catching up

Reaction score
Greetings Pilots!
Hi All!
I'm a long time member in the Phantom Pilots Forum, alot of you know me.
Just catching up,
My upgraded aircraft fleet:
20230422_161706.jpg

Bought my P3P refurbished directly from DJI in 2018 and still love to fly it. And I've learned, it still is my most trusted aircraft in high wind. It's a tank, and my new Mavic 3 Classic, while an amazing aircraft, still can't hold a candle to stability in the wind to my P3P.
That being said, all 3 of my aircraft, including my mini 3, all have hold their own in all of my windy flight tests, that being said, sheer mass wins everytime in the wind so long as the aircraft has powerful rotors.
Clearly observable, the lighter and smaller birds have to fight harder and react quicker than the heavier birds, and in that regard my beloved Phantom still reigns Supreme!
Loving my Classic, a very different flying experience from a Phantom, and the mini 3 (not the Pro) is basically a miniature version of a P3P in terms of max video recording, flight capabilities, and flight time, but it has far less flying restrictions, is safer, and waaay more fun to fly close by in tight areas.
Cheers All!!

I bought the Mini 3 a few days ago and I'm surprised with the quality of the picture.
Of course, I'm staying with my Phantom 4P as a prime drone but the Mini 3 has other advantages which you already mentioned.

I would like to know if you had any problems with its RC connection to the internet via WiFi. My RC is constantly saying: not connected to the internet - retry? And there is no icon to set up this option.
With Phantoms RC I have no problems at all. It does this by itself.

Reactions: 3rdof5
I bought the Mini 3 a few days ago and I'm surprised with the quality of the picture.
Of course, I'm staying with my Phantom 4P as a prime drone but the Mini 3 has other advantages which you already mentioned.

I would like to know if you had any problems with its RC connection to the internet via WiFi. My RC is constantly saying: not connected to the internet - retry? And there is no icon to set up this option.
With Phantoms RC I have no problems at all. It does this by itself.
The DJI RC automatically turns off wifi and bluetooth when you start the props. You have to turn it back on in the settings after you land. It doesn't automatically switch back on.

Thanks!
But the issue I have is the RC connection to the internet via WiFi to sync data. The drone is off.

Thanks!
But the issue I have is the RC connection to the internet via WiFi to sync data. The drone is off.
When you say sync data, what data are you trying to sync? If you are transferring video and pics from the aircraft via the fly app on another device, you don't need a connection to the internet. The devices communicate directly via their own wifi.
To do this, on the mini 3, power up the aircraft and wait until its finished it's startup. Do not power on the RC. Then quickly press the power button 3 times. The leds will turn blue. Now you can activate quick transfer in the fly app.

Last edited:
Bought my P3P refurbished directly from DJI in 2018 and still love to fly it. And I've learned, it still is my most trusted aircraft in high wind. It's a tank, and my new Mavic 3 Classic, while an amazing aircraft, still can't hold a candle to stability in the wind to my P3P.
That being said, all 3 of my aircraft, including my mini 3, all have hold their own in all of my windy flight tests, that being said, sheer mass wins everytime in the wind so long as the aircraft has powerful rotors.
Clearly observable, the lighter and smaller birds have to fight harder and react quicker than the heavier birds, and in that regard my beloved Phantom still reigns Supreme!
Loving my Classic, a very different flying experience from a Phantom, and the mini 3 (not the Pro) is basically a miniature version of a P3P in terms of max video recording, flight capabilities, and flight time, but it has far less flying restrictions, is safer, and waaay more fun to fly close by in tight areas.
Cheers All!!
While I'm sure the P3P can handle a strong wind I'm not sure I'd agree with you about sheer mass winning every time in wind. According to the specs the P3P can attain a max speed of 16m/s in Atti mode whereas the Mavic 3 can achieve a max flight speed of 21m/s in Sport mode. The Mini 3 can attain 16m/s max speed, the same as the P3P. I'm no expert but it would seem to me that the Mavic 3 in sport mode has the best wind resistance and that both the Mini 3 (sport mode) and the P3P (in Atti mode) are the same.

With that being said, I do find it is harder to land the Mini 3 in strong gusty winds as it blows around more and struggles to hold position more than my Mavic 3 does.

Chris

Phantoms are heavy thus less prone to quick short movements. This is an overall characteristic of a mass.

While I'm sure the P3P can handle a strong wind I'm not sure I'd agree with you about sheer mass winning every time in wind. According to the specs the P3P can attain a max speed of 16m/s in Atti mode whereas the Mavic 3 can achieve a max flight speed of 21m/s in Sport mode. The Mini 3 can attain 16m/s max speed, the same as the P3P. I'm no expert but it would seem to me that the Mavic 3 in sport mode has the best wind resistance and that both the Mini 3 (sport mode) and the P3P (in Atti mode) are the same.

With that being said, I do find it is harder to land the Mini 3 in strong gusty winds as it blows around more and struggles to hold position more than my Mavic 3 does.

Chris
Agreed on the speed, a Mavic 3 can clearly and easily out run a Phantom in an even fight. But mass does play a big role.
The best comparison I can think of to compare size and mass in flight are two Frisbees. A larger, heavier one will always fly more stable in wind than a smaller light one.
Even though they had equal initial force.
The mass of the air remains constant and is much lower compared to anything solid, so it applies the same force to anything it blows on, and a larger mass is less affected over time than a smaller mass is.
That being said, the Phantom has one more advantage and that is it's more aerodynamic and its aerodynamics dont really change regardless of which way its facing in the wind. The same cannot be said of any Mavic.

Some people have an arsenal of drones.......👍😊💖
Yes they do but I wouldn't call this an arsenal. An arsenal is one of every model and series and some have that. This is just my 5 year old Phantom 3 Pro that has been my only aircraft until this past few months. I resisted upgrading until the Classic was released, simply saw no need for anything more than my P3 offered.
Once my Classic and DJI RC arrived I quickly realized that I needed a better RC for this bird. So I ordered the RC-PRO and now since I had a spare RC I decided to grab a mini 3 (not the mini 3 Pro) just the aircraft and 1 battery for low cost. The mini is a fun indoor/outdoor close range aircraft. My big birds do the real flying. My P3P has no strobes so it's day time flying only, my Classic is a great, well lit, night flyer.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl