Great Smoky Mountains and drones

I'm staying at a chalet in between pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg that is within the park. Amy I able to take off and fully straight above the property since it's private property?
I don't get it. Are you saying the chalet you're staying in is within park boundaries? If so, no. But if the chalet is on private land thats close to the national park, go for it. Nobody can do anything.

I'm staying at a chalet in between pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg that is within the park. Amy I able to take off and fully straight above the property since it's private property?

I don't pretend to know for certain, but I think some private businesses may operate on park lands having some sort of agreement with the park. I say this from memory in regard to things I may have heard about other parks years ago, so take it for what it's worth. If you ask a park official I'm sure they would say you cannot fly, but if the property, not just the building on it, is in fact under private ownership then maybe you can. Legal or not you may get a ticket or have your drone confiscated. This all seems to me gray area stuff and may need to be answered in court.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I live in the heart of the GSM and we have a LOT of places to fly with amazing views but . . the Blue Ridge Parkway is a No Fly Zone and it's heavily enforced. Sometimes you're better off just using your camera and leaving the UAS in the trunk.

Hi BigA107 - I am going to be in the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area this weekend. You said there are lots of places to fly. Could you point me in the right direction of a few of those that are close by. Thanks so much in advance!!!

If you can find a piece of private or public land to launch from and what you want to shoot is within range of your Phantom, You can fly over the park all you want. You're just not allowed to LAUNCH from within park boundaries.

I keep hearing that is this true? lol

Hi BigA107 - I am going to be in the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area this weekend. You said there are lots of places to fly. Could you point me in the right direction of a few of those that are close by. Thanks so much in advance!!!

We have so many places you CAN fly. Just stay away from the Blue Ridge Parkway and any land "managed" by the National Park Service (NPS). Any other place find the managing body and ask. I'm on the NC side so I don't have names and #'s for the TN side of the line.

One thing to take into consideration... we are having a LOT of Forest Fires right now and please don't be one of "those people" who try to fly and get Forest Fire pictures. Last week we had 2 different situations where the Air Support had to be called off because of Drone Operations (confirmed not just suspect) within just a few miles of where I work. Be safe and fly safe!!

Allen

so.......hypothetically speaking of course........playing devil's advocate.........
Its been said that an RV is considered by the law to be considered and protected by law just like home would be. A home on wheels.
What would happen if.......
You had a sunroof opening and launched from within your RV, flew your mission, then landed back in your RV without ever stepping foot outside your RV?
Just thinking out loud of course.....

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic