Graduated ND filters - your opinion

Reaction score
I found that these filters are very useful at specific conditions when the bottom half of the landscape or objects is very dark compared with the sky above.
But in normal condition it can make diverse results. The problem is once you put the filter on the result is visible after the flight or at home even and usually you'll not going to film the scene again.
Do you use such filters and what's the opinion?

I have never used them. Do you have good results? When I film stills, I focus on the brightest part, usually the sky. I also shoot in raw. Everything comes out nicely. I think it would be hard to use it in videos. Is that what you use it for?

Last edited:
Hi, I bought a single graduated filter to experiment with but to be honest I haven't used it a great deal. I understand the point that David Cambridge made about applying filters in post and I do this on almost all the movies I make. However, it is often the case that if you expose correctly for the sky in the top third of the frame then the ground in the lower two thirds of the frame is drastically underexposed. The problem then is that there is much more noise in the shadow areas. So after you apply a mask and brighten the ground in post you can end up with a rather muddy looking image. This issue is particularly noticeable when filming in low light at the very end of the day. in these conditions I have to resort to applying noise reduction in post using DaVinci Resolve.

So I would suggest that if you get the chance you should give graduated filters a go and fly consecutive duplicate short flights - one with and one without the graduated filter. Then compare the results achieved after post production. Try this in various lighting situations at different times of the day. Please share your thoughts.

All the best, Martin

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20