GPS Tracker - DJI, why doesn't the Pilot app have this built in?

Reaction score
I'm reading all of these threads about the "ultimate GPS Tracker", and it just makes me scratch my head and wonder WHY didn't DJI go just a baby-step farther with the Pilot app and build GPS Tracking in????

I may be missing something, but we already have an active GPS Tracking system built into our P3Ps, so why in heck not utilize it for TRACKING as well? All that would have to be done is to put a small-ish back-up rechargeable battery that would power the GPS Tracking feature in the app in the event of a runaway drone that flies until the main battery dies. This small back-up power for the GPS would only have to be used in the event of total power outage of the main battery.

In fact, I would bet money that this could be done with a simple firmware upgrade and app update; no additional equipment or weight (other than maybe the coin-sized battery as a back-up option).

DJI, please keep track of my suggestion! ;)

I'm reading all of these threads about the "ultimate GPS Tracker", and it just makes me scratch my head and wonder WHY didn't DJI go just a baby-step farther with the Pilot app and build GPS Tracking in????

I may be missing something, but we already have an active GPS Tracking system built into our P3Ps, so why in heck not utilize it for TRACKING as well? All that would have to be done is to put a small-ish back-up rechargeable battery that would power the GPS Tracking feature in the app in the event of a runaway drone that flies until the main battery dies. This small back-up power for the GPS would only have to be used in the event of total power outage of the main battery.

In fact, I would bet money that this could be done with a simple firmware upgrade and app update; no additional equipment or weight (other than maybe the coin-sized battery as a back-up option).

DJI, please keep track of my suggestion! ;)
It would have to transmit that data via satellite to an internet cloud just as the other devices do. It is an evolving technology for sure -- in a couple of years, these drones will look like Model T Fords-- they will get better, longer range, and safer-- by that time the public might even accept them flying all over the place:).

Reactions: Mike Mauk
That is where I respectfully disagree.

I'm not a electronics engineer by any means, but devices such as a Garmin or Magellan handheld GPS aren't cellular, and don't utilize a cellular signal, or utilize the internet in any way. In fact, they work extremely well as long as they have a satellite to connect to. It would require a specific WAAS-enabled GPS transponder on the aircraft however, and some type of specific tracking antenna I suppose.

Ok, I've changed my mind (again:); it would require additional circuitry, but not really that much. I DO think that one of the primary reasons that DJI hasn't focused on this, is because they spent so much time on their "failsafe" RTH feature, they never ever thought they would have to track a runaway drone!

Reactions: Mike Mauk

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj