GPs problem

Glonass in fact - I live and work with Russians, my work involves professional use of GPS as well as my other full size yachting ... Glonass is limited and subject to Russian Military re-alignment dependent on theatre of ops they are involved with. Having Glonass capability unless you are in full Glonass area is not an advantage in fact.
GPS (a generic term actually as its just been accepted to mean USA Satelite Position Indication System) since SA was switched of by Presidential decree has enjoyed greater accuracy ... bringing it into the 3 - 10m raange instead of the older SA days of wandering anywhere 100 ... 300m from real position.

GPS despite claims to the contrary is not as accurate as people think and it is not relevant to use Military smart bomb videos to prove otherwise - as they are are using a parallel Sat signal as well as the 'commercial' which is unique to them.

Just thought I'd mention a few facts about SatNav. (I left out Galileo - the European system as thats still plagued with problems - mainly 'political').

Nigel
Survey grade equipment in the United States uses GloNass sat systems. So I wouldn't necessarily say it is "limited" to Russian military ops.
Unless I am misinterpreting your responce somewhere.

Glonass in fact - I live and work with Russians, my work involves professional use of GPS as well as my other full size yachting ... Glonass is limited and subject to Russian Military re-alignment dependent on theatre of ops they are involved with. Having Glonass capability unless you are in full Glonass area is not an advantage in fact.
GPS (a generic term actually as its just been accepted to mean USA Satelite Position Indication System) since SA was switched of by Presidential decree has enjoyed greater accuracy ... bringing it into the 3 - 10m raange instead of the older SA days of wandering anywhere 100 ... 300m from real position.

GPS despite claims to the contrary is not as accurate as people think and it is not relevant to use Military smart bomb videos to prove otherwise - as they are are using a parallel Sat signal as well as the 'commercial' which is unique to them.

Just thought I'd mention a few facts about SatNav. (I left out Galileo - the European system as thats still plagued with problems - mainly 'political').

Nigel
In your area of expertise (yachting, I believe?) GPS and GloNass systems may be operating on a limited number of frequencies. As apprised to, again, survey grade equipment operating on L1 and L2 frequency bands. Accuracy is most definitely higher than 3-10m as you stated. We are able to Archieve measurements within 3cm accuracy.

I only respond due to your claim of GPS not being accurate, which I would have to argue against.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

GPS will only be as accurate as the respective governments want it to be...........:)
Also depending on the application.

Consumer grade GPS (car navigation) is going to be less accurate than the GPS systems I use when doing construction surveying. That was the only point I was trying to make.
His blanket statement of "GPS isn't accurate" is ambiguous and debatable.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj