GPS issues with Phantom

Crank3d said:
... and when im calibrating the compass before flying i think its important to not hold on the top of the phantom and cover up the gps antenna.

The compass you are calibrating is attached to the landing skies, nothing to do with the GPS antenna.

So I bought a phantom used from ebay (I know, sketchy) and i got it recently and have had a great time flying but have only been able to fly in atti mode. GPS mode works, i get the red green green green flash every time, so i know the module is working, but no matter what it won't lock. having read this thread I figured that my problem would also be the antenna so without opening it, I ordered a new gps antenna. today i opened it up and looked at the antenna and it wasnt broken. I went ahead and replaced it with the new antenna anyways to see if that wouldnt fix the problem and it still isnt getting the full satellite lock, standard red green green green flash in gps mode. any ideas?? i really dont want to pay the $160 for a new gps module (if i had that kind of money i would have just bought new!)

Please all of you with gps problems also check lithium backup battery on gps board. Should read around 3V ideally, if not replace it. (Needs soldering tools). Mine was empty, not to say it was (how do you say this correctly in english?) deep uncharged and did what some of the lithiums do then: it flipped polarity. (read around -250 mv) Under this circumstances it might be problematic for the chip to store satellites. Before changing it I struggled to get 5 satellites today and one hour later after the repair i got to 8 satellites within first 30 secs.
The backup battery is extremely small for the power consumption of the memory. I got my PV2+ three weeks ago and battery is dead and gone! (How long has that been inside the shelve) I replaces it with a standard 2032 to give it a bit more lifetime....

Re: GPS and Motor issues with Phantom 2

I need technical assistance for DJI Phantom 2.

I have never flown the MC. Yesterday would have been first flight, but it wouldn't compass calibrate. I tried and tried. The horizontal calibration works fine. But the vertical when complete returns to slow flashing yellow. I did the software calibration, and all is fine. But the vertical just will not calibrate.

So I decided to at least start the motors any way for the first time, even if I can't fly. The motors will not start on GPS mode nor on ATTI. When I push on the sticks (in any of the combinations) to start... the red LEDs on the MC blink 5 times, then it returns to slow flashing yellow, and nothing happens. The motors don't start. Help!!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-05 at 6.43.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-05 at 6.43.05 AM.png
    81.3 KB · Views: 563
  • Screen Shot 2014-10-05 at 7.09.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-05 at 7.09.05 AM.png
    110.1 KB · Views: 513
  • Screen Shot 2014-10-05 at 7.09.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-05 at 7.09.53 AM.png
    83.2 KB · Views: 510
Compass calibration shoud be done ideally outside on a leveled surface, where you can be absolutely sure there is no iron close by and no radiation.
We know the compass is very sensitive to these things... If you get same strange vertical results I would contact the reseller.

Ohary said:
Excellent thread!

I too noticed no GPS lock after a crash (result of a fly-away, but that's another story). I bought a 5 pack on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Lot-of-5-Ce ... 3a8ebf1eba
for $10 delivered! I figure it's worth a shot. I'll post my results when I'm done

I read that someone said that the stock one is 2mm thick, the one you're buying is 4mm so don't know if it's gonna work properly or fit.

Re: GPS and Motor issues with Phantom 2

nscotland said:
So I decided to at least start the motors any way for the first time, even if I can't fly. The motors will not start on GPS mode nor on ATTI. When I push on the sticks (in any of the combinations) to start... the red LEDs on the MC blink 5 times, then it returns to slow flashing yellow, and nothing happens. The motors don't start. Help!!
Sounds familiar, but I think in my case it was something simple like the switches weren't in the up position.

the 4 mm ceramic antenna works and fits fine , a little shaving of plastic allows easier fit.
the 4mm antenna is the BEST upgrade I have done. Have a vision plus and phantom 2 v1. swapped both antennas and can get a sat lock in kitchen with 7 or 8 sats not unusual

$5 insurance policy. do it!

kirk2579 said:
the 4 mm ceramic antenna works and fits fine , a little shaving of plastic allows easier fit.
the 4mm antenna is the BEST upgrade I have done. Have a vision plus and phantom 2 v1. swapped both antennas and can get a sat lock in kitchen with 7 or 8 sats not unusual

Do you have pictures or video on how to replace the antenna? Does your replacement antenna also work with GLONASS system? If so, do you pick up extra satellites?

yawnalot29 said:
kirk2579 said:

Do you have pictures or video on how to replace the antenna? Does your replacement antenna also work with GLONASS system? If so, do you pick up extra satellites?

Have done this and not hard , Did improve signal when on ground but not really any better when up as I have the new V3 GPS puck . Here's the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5EI-MzyoAI

Sorry , I did not take any pics etc. The actual GPS board will not receive Glonass. I did find much of the info if not all here on this board. A few haves pics as well.
good luck!

I had a similar issue and replaced the GPS board. I also recently upgraded the firmware to v3.12.
When I turn on the P2 now, all I get is a slow flashing yellow light (2s on) in phantom or naza mode. If I try to start the motors, I get 5 red flashes, then it goes back to the slow yellow flashing. Tried changing batteries, same issue. Tried recalibrating etc as well, but no luck.
I've been searching (googling) for info, but haven't been able to find anything to resolve this.

Hoping someone might have some idea. Thanks!

My phantom lost its GPS connection intermittently it goes from 12 to 0 satellites just like that, it does not happen every time, anyone have this before ? when I open up and check on the antenna, I can't really see any crack but there is some lines, I can't tell if that is a crack or just a line, any advise on what could be the problem ?

Please all of you with gps problems also check lithium backup battery on gps board. Should read around 3V ideally, if not replace it. (Needs soldering tools). Mine was empty, not to say it was (how do you say this correctly in english?) deep uncharged and did what some of the lithiums do then: it flipped polarity. (read around -250 mv) Under this circumstances it might be problematic for the chip to store satellites. Before changing it I struggled to get 5 satellites today and one hour later after the repair i got to 8 satellites within first 30 secs.
The backup battery is extremely small for the power consumption of the memory. I got my PV2+ three weeks ago and battery is dead and gone! (How long has that been inside the shelve) I replaces it with a standard 2032 to give it a bit more lifetime....
Thanks for this info! Can you please share more details and/or pictures on how you did this? What does the battery look like, and how did you replace it with the 2032?

I noticed problems with my phantom P3 similar to what I've seen on this thread. I was opening the case, but was stopped when I lacked the smallest torx driver (on the farthest outside screws). MAN AM I GLAD! In the meantime I came accross this fix:

Tried it and voila! It works!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl