GPS Interference the coming days - Careful if you're flying in the US

Reaction score
Guys,

Check out this article:

http://gizmodo.com/faa-warns-of-gps-outages-this-month-during-mysterious-t-1780866590

The FAA issued an advisory warning pilots on Saturday that global positioning systems (GPS) could be unreliable during six different days this month, primarily in the Southwestern United States.

Here are the dates:
On June 7, 9, 21, 23, 28, and 30th the GPS interference testing will be taking place between 9:30am and 3:30pm Pacific time.

Fly safe peeps ;-)

Here's a vid from my country - I'm on the other side of the world (sorry I'm trying get more views)

Reactions: BruSimm
Guys,

Check out this article:

http://gizmodo.com/faa-warns-of-gps-outages-this-month-during-mysterious-t-1780866590

The FAA issued an advisory warning pilots on Saturday that global positioning systems (GPS) could be unreliable during six different days this month, primarily in the Southwestern United States.

Here are the dates:
On June 7, 9, 21, 23, 28, and 30th the GPS interference testing will be taking place between 9:30am and 3:30pm Pacific time.

Fly safe peeps ;-)

Here's a vid from my country - I'm on the other side of the world (sorry I'm trying get more views)
woops... used 3 batteries today and lost signal. IT DIDNT COME BACK! I guess this is why...

Just kidding, it is fine :). It initiated RTH and returned safely. Glad to know when I shouldn't fly now, thanks!

It's a trap!! It will actually direct all drones towards that area!! Every drone flown on those testing days will wind up in western America!

The navigation system/radio/climate control systems on 2014-2016 Lexus vehicles went wacky Tuesday. A rumor stated it was related to the US messing with GPS. Lexus indicated it was another problem. Disconnecting battery for five minutes brought navigation system in the cars back on line.

Would the Russian system used in Phantom 3 - 4 prevent problems when US GPS down?

Luckily I only have time to fly on the weekends.

The navigation system/radio/climate control systems on 2014-2016 Lexus vehicles went wacky Tuesday. A rumor stated it was related to the US messing with GPS. Lexus indicated it was another problem. Disconnecting battery for five minutes brought navigation system in the cars back on line.

Would the Russian system used in Phantom 3 - 4 prevent problems when US GPS down?

I would think if they're jamming they'd mess with everything.

I don't think it's the US GPS that is down... no, they are emitting a signal to disrupt the GPS signal... (and that could include GLONASS too - depending on the frequencies they're jamming)

I have noticed the past 2 evenings, around 6:30pm eastern US (Georgia), my GPS losing signal and/or very low count. I have never had this issue flying at the same time and same location many, many times. I wonder if it is related.....

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have noticed the past 2 evenings, around 6:30pm eastern US (Georgia), my GPS losing signal and/or very low count. I have never had this issue flying at the same time and same location many, many times. I wonder if it is related.....

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Almost certainly not. If you read the FAA advisory you will see that, firstly, yesterday was not a test day and, secondly, you are nowhere near the affected area. At 50 ft AGL it is a circle centered on China Lake of radius 253 NM. At 4000 ft AGL it is still only 340 NM. At drone flight altitudes, nowhere east of Arizona will experience interference.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1