Got my Section 333 Exemptions, But now I need a Sport Pilot Cert..... Ugggggg

Ok so in your first sentence you showed that the "Drone" is in fact an aircraft right? In Title 14 CFR Chapter 1 Subpart D Part 61 it states that in order to fly an aircraft in the NAS (National Air Space) you must have a valid Pilots Certification. There is your law that you so ignorantly and biasly want to skip over every time someone mentions it. So you can understand it better see the diagram below.

Drone = Aircraft and To fly an aircraft in NAS you need a Pilots Certificate BY LAW (Title 14 CFR Chapter 1 Subpart D Part 61)
Your bias argument = Flawed.
Conclusion = You are wrong.

So as I said before you do things your way and I will do things mine. Don't come crying to me when you get in trouble for it. I plan on doing things legally so my business can grow.
You are wasting your time. There is a rogue group of UAV flyers who will fly commercially until they get caught...Then they'll use the "oh, I didn't know" routine. Then again, how can any business trust another who tells you they are fragrantly disregarding the law. Answer: another crooked business. No legally operating business is going to retain the services of an illegally operating one.

So, the illegal UAV flyers are likely lying to their customers, "FAA? No, they do not oversee us lil' ol drone flyers." No big deal until a liability claim is generated and the UAV operators has no insurance. You can't get insurance to do an illegal thing. My 333 is pending so is my aviation underwriter insurance application (from Global Aerospace and it's not cheap) ), the insurance carrier required me to send them my pilot's license number and answer a bunch of questions about my intended operation so they can check it and will not act on my application until I submit my 333 Exemption.

If you slam your UAV on someone's head they will try to sue you, regardless of the/or if any injury (lots of starving attorneys) and not only the UAV operator is in deep kimshi but so is the client. There is no way in the USA today to start a business on the cheap, and there is still my city business license (another $50). you may not like it but it is reality.

There are consequences for ignoring the law. But hey keep making money and go with God. Sorry about all the "sky is falling" stuff but I live in that place called reality.

You are wasting your time. There is a rogue group of UAV flyers who will fly commercially until they get caught...Then they'll use the "oh, I didn't know" routine. Then again, how can any business trust another who tells you they are fragrantly disregarding the law. Answer: another crooked business. No legally operating business is going to retain the services of an illegally operating one.

So, the illegal UAV flyers are likely lying to their customers, "FAA? No, they do not oversee us lil' ol drone flyers." No big deal until a liability claim is generated and the UAV operators has no insurance. You can't get insurance to do an illegal thing. My 333 is pending so is my aviation underwriter insurance application (from Global Aerospace and it's not cheap) ), the insurance carrier required me to send them my pilot's license number and answer a bunch of questions about my intended operation so they can check it and will not act on my application until I submit my 333 Exemption.

If you slam your UAV on someone's head they will try to sue you, regardless of the/or if any injury (lots of starving attorneys) and not only the UAV operator is in deep kimshi but so is the client. There is no way in the USA today to start a business on the cheap, and there is still my city business license (another $50). you may not like it but it is reality.

There are consequences for ignoring the law. But hey keep making money and go with God. Sorry about all the "sky is falling" stuff but I live in that place called reality.
My thoughts exactly. Except I have spoken to my lawyer and nowhere in the Section 333 or the FAA Regs is it mandated to have aviation insurance. He has informed me that normal accidental insurance will be fine as there is little risk of injury compared to a plane crashing. Hope that helps.

As for the others I hope they keep wasting their time writing posts here about how they are above the law. It will only serve to screw them in the end. ;)

My thoughts exactly. Except I have spoken to my lawyer and nowhere in the Section 333 or the FAA Regs is it mandated to have aviation insurance. He has informed me that normal accidental insurance will be fine as there is little risk of injury compared to a plane crashing. Hope that helps.

As for the others I hope they keep wasting their time writing posts here about how they are above the law. It will only serve to screw them in the end. ;)
I am not a lawyer but I play one on TV. I spent my last 32 yrs. in law enforcement and met many lawyers who were not very well informed. You are correct, the FAA could cares less about your business insurance, it's not their pocketbook, but yours. I'm rather attached to my home and bank account, prefer to keep it. It all depends what type insurance we are talking about. Typical home owners insurance will not provide accident liability if you are running a business, unless you paid more to have a rider attached to your policy. Check that out. I'm guessing, due to the cost, many 333 holders are operating w/o liability insurance. It's like Russian roulette, you hope the loaded chamber does not come up. Anyone here in the insurance business or have contacts that can clarify this?

In Title 14 CFR Chapter 1 Subpart D Part 61 it states that in order to fly an aircraft in the NAS (National Air Space) you must have a valid Pilots Certification.

A literal reading of Part 61.1 says that you need a pilot certificate to fly a frisbee.
But your contention is that you are breaking a rule to fly your frisbee for commercial purposes. What rule?

A literal reading of Part 61.1 says that you need a pilot certificate to fly a frisbee.
But your contention is that you are breaking a rule to fly your frisbee for commercial purposes. What rule?

I don't like arguing with incompetent people have a good life and good luck with your business SteveMann

As for anyone else that want's to contribute that's fine but if your going to troll my thread I will from here on out ignore you and suggest that everyone else do the same. I'm here for a decent conversation not how to circumvent the law.

I don't like arguing with incompetent people have a good life and good luck with your business SteveMann

As for anyone else that want's to contribute that's fine but if your going to troll my thread I will from here on out ignore you and suggest that everyone else do the same. I'm here for a decent conversation not how to circumvent the law.
I have never encouraged anyone to break any laws. Just nonexistent rules. In the Pirker decision the NTSB said that model aircraft are aircraft for the purpose of enforcing 14 CFR §91.13. Nothing else.

I am just asking one question - what rule? What rule am I violating by flying my hobby drone for compensation?

I have never encouraged anyone to break any laws. Just nonexistent rules. In the Pirker decision the NTSB said that model aircraft are aircraft for the purpose of enforcing 14 CFR §91.13. Nothing else.

I am just asking one question - what rule? What rule am I violating by flying my hobby drone for compensation?
Agggg dude don't be so dense. IF IT IS A HOBBY THEN IT IS A HOBBY. IF YOU USE IT TO MAKE MONEY IT IS LEGALLY BY ALL DEFINITION A BUSINESS AND YOU ARE NOT LEGAL TO DO SO. Once you start making money with them you are governed by the FAA and their rules, regulations and certification requirements. Go away if you can't understand that. Just because you don't like the facts or obviously don't understand them it don't mean you can do whatever you want. Like I said have a good day and good luck. With your bias beliefs and attitude of "I'm always right" you should go far in a business. Make sure to post your company contact info so people looking to get sued and or fined by the FAA can contact you.

Also I just went over your mediocre website and for some reason you have NOTHING to do with drone photography on it. Why is that? Are you afraid that you are not right and that you WILL get fined? Practice what you preach buddy. When you post on your website that you offer those services without the Section 333 Exemptions and a pilots license then I will give you the recognition you deserve.

Last edited:
Agggg dude don't be so dense. IF IT IS A HOBBY THEN IT IS A HOBBY. IF YOU USE IT TO MAKE MONEY IT IS LEGALLY BY ALL DEFINITION A BUSINESS AND YOU ARE NOT LEGAL TO DO SO. Once you start making money with them you are governed by the FAA and their rules, regulations and certification requirements. Go away if you can't understand that. Just because you don't like the facts or obviously don't understand them it don't mean you can do whatever you want. Like I said have a good day and good luck. With your bias beliefs and attitude of "I'm always right" you should go far in a business. Make sure to post your company contact info so people looking to get sued and or fined by the FAA can contact you.

Also I just went over your mediocre website and for some reason you have NOTHING to do with drone photography on it. Why is that? Are you afraid that you are not right and that you WILL get fined? Practice what you preach buddy. When you post on your website that you offer those services without the Section 333 Exemptions and a pilots license then I will give you the recognition you deserve.

I never said I was always right. All I ask is, what rule?

And, yes the website in my profile (one of many websites) is mediocre, but I am too busy to update it. Maybe this winter when the aerial photo business drops off with the temperature.

And what makes you so certain that my Section 333 exemption paperwork is not approved and that I don't have an FAA issued pilot certificate? (I have two, actually).

But that doesn't change the question: What rule?

You mentioned earlier that a stroke grounded you. Are you still able to get a flight review signed off? And if not, will your insurance company be ok with that?

Secondary question for the group. Is there any compelling reason to obtain a 333 if you have no intention of flying commercially and/or adhering to the 333 requirements? I don't really have any desire to go out and try to earn cash from flying my Phantom but I can see how just owning a drone and knowing the right people could open up opportunities for doing a little commercial photography with it. Since I already have a commercial pilot certificate in my pocket collecting dust, I figured I'd go ahead and petition for a 333 just in case.

But then I read all of the requirements. I saw the part that requires a valid airman medical and I don't have one nor am I interested in getting one. But then I saw that a valid drivers license will also work so I'm good there. But then I saw that you're supposed to also have a current flight review and again, I don't nor am I interested in getting one.

According to what I'm reading, no current flight review means no commercial drone flying. So is there any advantage to getting a 333 if I'm not going to go pay a couple hundred bucks for some 400 hour CFI to sit next to me sweating in an antique 172 while I teach him more about flying than he'll teach me?

I never said I was always right. All I ask is, what rule?

And, yes the website in my profile (one of many websites) is mediocre, but I am too busy to update it. Maybe this winter when the aerial photo business drops off with the temperature.

And what makes you so certain that my Section 333 exemption paperwork is not approved and that I don't have an FAA issued pilot certificate? (I have two, actually).

But that doesn't change the question: What rule?
For one I have looked and with your current comment I'm sure your local FSDO would love to see what your posted. I have gone ahead and made screenshots of your omission and wonder what they will say about your pilots certs after learning you are operating drones for profit without your exemptions. I do know more about you than you think XXXXXXX

*** Moderated content ***

You claim to have been a professional Photographer since 2000

You currently have NO EXEMPTIONS granted in your name (or business name) by the FAA (I have the ability to look that up)
Nor did a simple search of a pilots license prove worthy but we will let the FSDO do that research.

Let me know what they say to you about your business and your certs will ya? Maybe they will be able to prove to you what laws there are on operating an aircraft commercially without the proper certs and exemptions. With your license (If you even have one) you would know about airworthiness of a commercial aircraft (your drone) and know it is impossible to even get that done. So next time you want to pick a fight you might want to pick your opponent better. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
You mentioned earlier that a stroke grounded you. Are you still able to get a flight review signed off? And if not, will your insurance company be ok with that?

Secondary question for the group. Is there any compelling reason to obtain a 333 if you have no intention of flying commercially and/or adhering to the 333 requirements? I don't really have any desire to go out and try to earn cash from flying my Phantom but I can see how just owning a drone and knowing the right people could open up opportunities for doing a little commercial photography with it. Since I already have a commercial pilot certificate in my pocket collecting dust, I figured I'd go ahead and petition for a 333 just in case.

But then I read all of the requirements. I saw the part that requires a valid airman medical and I don't have one nor am I interested in getting one. But then I saw that a valid drivers license will also work so I'm good there. But then I saw that you're supposed to also have a current flight review and again, I don't nor am I interested in getting one.

According to what I'm reading, no current flight review means no commercial drone flying. So is there any advantage to getting a 333 if I'm not going to go pay a couple hundred bucks for some 400 hour CFI to sit next to me sweating in an antique 172 while I teach him more about flying than he'll teach me?

Those are good questions. Not using it for profit and ONLY hobby you do not need Section 333 exemptions. As for the Med I think a drivers license will suffice as per the minimum reqs of a sport license. Check with your local FSDO and they will confirm.

Technically, I grounded myself. I've checked with two CFI's and they suggested the FAA WINGS program, which can waive the BFR once completed. WINGS does require some flight activities but as you know a simulator can fulfill the required T.O.s and landings, so I'm not risking anyone. Insurance required an application with all those health questions, since I'm not flying an airplane they seemed not to be concerned.

For one I have looked and with your current comment I'm sure your local FSDO would love to see what your posted.
Go right ahead. The FSDO doesn't do enforcement.
You can send them all the copies of this thread you want.
I never said to break any law or rule.
I just asked: What rule?

For one I have looked and with your current comment I'm sure your local FSDO would love to see what your posted. I have gone ahead and made screenshots of your omission and wonder what they will say about your pilots certs after learning you are operating drones for profit without your exemptions. I do know more about you than you think *******.

... Moderated Content ***

You claim to have been a professional Photographer since 2000

You currently have NO EXEMPTIONS granted in your name (or business name) by the FAA (I have the ability to look that up)
Nor did a simple search of a pilots license prove worthy but we will let the FSDO do that research.

Let me know what they say to you about your business and your certs will ya? Maybe they will be able to prove to you what laws there are on operating an aircraft commercially without the proper certs and exemptions. With your license (If you even have one) you would know about airworthiness of a commercial aircraft (your drone) and know it is impossible to even get that done. So next time you want to pick a fight you might want to pick your opponent better. ;)
You are going over the line by making this personal with name calling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go right ahead. The FSDO doesn't do enforcement.
You can send them all the copies of this thread you want.
I never said to break any law or rule.
I just asked: What rule?
And admitted that you as a business do it. so let me see what they say about all of it. ;)

I doubt he even has a pilots license. Anyway. As for an earlier comment Im done with the idiots if anyone want a real conversation.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic