Got a call from the FAA today

Well I hope it all works out Stevenas but I am thinking like TJ as I've had it done to me and have done it to others .
Not as the FAA but with other stuff !

It is a logical suggestion but I have no one that would pull this kind of crap on me. And like I said my work number is VERY difficult to find. If it would have been a buddy he would have used my cell number.
This FAA dude e-mailed me a UAS FAQ, FAA UAS informational letter and a Section 333 Public Guidance pdf.

@johan

It's not about them (the FAA,) it's about myself. I wouldn't want this done to me so I wouldn't do it to someone else.
The FAA is trying to bully you. If you do nothing, you endorse and allow them do to it to someone else.

The FAA is trying to bully you. If you do nothing, you endorse and allow them do to it to someone else.

Johan, it's ok for us to disagree on this.

If you feel it's alright to report experimental pilots to the FAA, please do so. For me, personally, it's not a means I wish to use.

I'm not endorsing anything by not doing so myself.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
So you got a call but then you mentioned an email? Which one was it? Also I found your video through this site, found your name through your YouTube video, Googled it, and found nothing. I think one of the following is happening:
1) Someone is trying to fool you. The video in question has just 22 views, perhaps a friend you sent it to is trying to trick you?
2) You're trying to fool us :eek:
3) The FAA DID trawl YouTube to find your video, AND the FAA have access to your personal information and linked your name (from YouTube) to your workplace and found you that way

It really surprises me that they would do such a thing. For all they know, this isn't even your footage.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
So you got a call but then you mentioned an email? Which one was it? Also I found your video through this site, found your name through your YouTube video, Googled it, and found nothing. I think one of the following is happening:
1) Someone is trying to fool you. The video in question has just 22 views, perhaps a friend you sent it to is trying to trick you?
2) You're trying to fool us :eek:
3) The FAA DID trawl YouTube to find your video, AND the FAA have access to your personal information and linked your name (from YouTube) to your workplace and found you that way

It really surprises me that they would do such a thing. For all they know, this isn't even your footage.

I got the call first then e-mail.
It might have been from a Facebook posting, I have since taken down the video from my FB.
The YouTube vids will stay. I make no monetary gain from my YouTube account.
And no, I'm not trying to fool you. This **** really caught me off guard and rattled my cage and I know you guys would have some interest in this. And would like to know if it has happened to anyone else.

Reactions: snerd
If I remember correctly if their is a complaint you have a right to know who the complaintant is so you can respond to the complaint. The FAA currently only has guidelines for the drones, their are no established rules that I know of yet. Therefore there is really nothing they will do other than if you are flying in a no fly zone as there is established rules and regulations there. The only other rules is altitude for model aircraft and other craft. 500 ft. Is the ceiling.

Reactions: Stevenas
So where did the email come from? You can check the headers for the specifics.

Reactions: dirkclod
hmm, following...

So where did the email come from? You can check the headers for the specifics.

Excuse my ignorance but how do I check the headers?
Here is his e-mail: [email protected]
And he is listed as staff at the local office.
Attached are the files he sent me.

Attachments

• Poster 1.jpg
    Poster 1.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 440
  • Section 333 Public Guidance.pdf
    113.8 KB · Views: 307
Reactions: Ti22
I don't find it at all hard to believe. It's just killing some of those little tough guys at the FAA that there are no "laws" or "regulations" yet to govern this new technology. So they're singling out some that they find through the Internet, and/or complaints, then they call and/or send a threatening letter. It's mostly all bluff right now on their part. There are no laws, only recommendations. I wouldn't let it bother you. Go to dronelawjournal.com and read up on it some.

ETA: However, I would go on the presupposition that we're all guilty before being found innocent. Nice direction the country has taken, isn't it?!

I don't find it at all hard to believe. It's just killing some of those little tough guys at the FAA that there are no "laws" or "regulations" yet to govern this new technology. So they're singling out some that they find through the Internet, and/or complaints, then they call and/or send a threatening letter. It's mostly all bluff right now on their part. There are no laws, only recommendations. I wouldn't let it bother you. Go to dronelawjournal.com and read up on it some.

ETA: However, I would go on the presupposition that we're all guilty before being found innocent. Nice direction the country has taken, isn't it?!

As I recall our conversation Mr. Minnix did ask if I had a Section 333 Exemption and then mentioned something about fines up to $10,000. I can't remember the exact wording right because I was so caught off guard.

Posting for reference.

Illegal video

Illegal video:

Illegal video:

Illegal video:

Illegal video:

Illegal video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycPwWHI76mk

Illegal video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF7elRiDl0g

Illegal video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XwqpubgaBE

Illegal video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeTjPPpVtuU

Illegal video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjCXY4MCNZU

That took about 10 minutes of searching. If anyone wants to put a stop to the FAA trolling youtube, flooding their offices with these complaints is the way to do it.

Looks to be the real deal. Maybe the rumors that they troll YT for videos is not just a rumor. Mind your P's & Q's out there.

Yeah, our tax dollars at work!

I feel like writing a congressman.......IF that would do any good.

Unless you have ultra-deep pockets you are forced to roll over for them and they know it.

Very true my friend. So is the way this country goes....taxation and regulation until you are in the grave.
Seems to get worse every passing year.

Reactions: garpt and JKDSensei
So he was asserting that posting it to YouTube made it other than hobby use? The PDF he sent you is specifically referring to civil and commercial use. Not sure how you evaluate LOS from a video either.

I guess the take away is do your best not to piss people off (seems obvious) and do post the evidence.

Cant wait for them to start monitoring the flight logs. I'm sure they will be able to justify the intrusion.

If I remember correctly if their is a complaint you have a right to know who the complaintant is so you can respond to the complaint. The FAA currently only has guidelines for the drones, their are no established rules that I know of yet. Therefore there is really nothing they will do other than if you are flying in a no fly zone as there is established rules and regulations there. The only other rules is altitude for model aircraft and other craft. 500 ft. Is the ceiling.

There are laws on he book as mentioned. You cannot fly a drone/aircraft in a reckless manner (as most of us know... this issue has already been to court once and since settled with a $1100 fine). Reckless manner is what the OP mentioned. The FAA considers flying over groups of people, reckless.

At this time no one has been charged with flying a drone commercially, only warning letters.

It _IS_ 100% true that the FAA responds to complaints filed against done users. It's also 100% true that they send out warning letters.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav