GoPro4 Black + ND8 Filter

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been flying with an ND filter for some time now and have been pleased with what I have shot. However, I find that when I am flying directly towards the sun, my footage looks weird and washed out - very washed out. Quite hard to recover it. It looks worse on ND8 than it does on ND4. It looks like the ND is casting a shadow over the front of the gopro lens...that's my guess of course, and that's why I think it looks worse on ND8 than 4, as the 8 blocks more light.

I could be way off with this assumption though - I'd love to know if anyone else with a strong-ish ND (around 8) experienced the same type of effect.

Camera is recording 2.7k, medium @ 50fps, in protune with slight negative exposure compensation.

First you must understand what a ND filter does.
An ND filter is used to force the camera to decrease Fstops opening the iris more, or to reduce shutter speed. On a normal camera this is used to cause those subject-focused images with the background out of foucus. Or the reduce shutter speed for trails or watterfalls shots.
With a wider iris, image will look less sharp than with higher Fstops that it uses without ND filter, especially on the edges.
In an aerial camera you must decide what you want out of an ND filter, and why you think you need one.

Personally I'm not a big fan of ND filters nor the stock GP lens. The lens on my GP is 5.4mm f/2.5 which I have no problems when shooting 2.7K directly towards the sun other then a slight light adjustment in post. There definitely is a place for ND filters in photography/videography but not on a GoPro in my opinion.

I've heard that by forcing a slower shutter speed, a ND filter can reduce jello effects as the slower shutter speed results in a bit of motion blur. Or something like that.

slower shutter speed in a moving camera results in a "blurring everything" not just the jello effect.

Filming directly towards the sun has the same effect as looking directly at the sun. It hurts the eyes. There are some tricks to getting interesting transitions but they're not easy. Prop shadows will add to your woes. Take it from Icarus, it's best to avoid flying directly into the sun.

Reactions: Ezookiel
Filming directly towards the sun has the same effect as looking directly at the sun. It hurts the eyes. There are some tricks to getting interesting transitions but they're not easy. Prop shadows will add to your woes. Take it from Icarus, it's best to avoid flying directly into the sun.
Filming directly at the sun has no problem with prop shadows.
Prop shadows only happen when the sun is higher, and the props get between the direct line between the sun and the camera. if you are filming directly at the sun it means the sun is low, and there is no props in the way.

OP didn't mention sunrise or sunset. That would indeed change everything. Shouldn't be getting a washout with the sun that low.

OP didn't mention sunrise or sunset. That would indeed change everything. Shouldn't be getting a washout with the sun that low.
nope, the OP didn't mentioned. you did :)
"Filming directly towards the sun has the same effect as looking directly at the sun...Prop shadows will add to your woes"

Yes, which it does at all times the sun is higher than the Phantom, i.e. anytime during the day that isn't sunrise and sunset.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic