GoPro laying off 200-300 hundred from drone div..

Competition is good with it disappearing there's no real pressure to keep pushing the bar higher I wonder if this is why there's been no P5 announcement...
The GoPro Karma never provided any competition.
They started work on it in 2014 and got it to market finally in Sept 2016 but it was DOA when launched.
It was a dinosaur that couldn't come close to matching the performance of the Phantom 3 that was released a year and a half earlier.

There's no P5 announcement because there's no P5 ready to release.

Reactions: Dronefriend
The GoPro Karma never provided any competition.
They started work on it in 2014 and got it to market finally in Sept 2016 but it was DOA when launched.
It was a dinosaur that couldn't come close to matching the performance of the Phantom 3 that was released a year and a half earlier.

There's no P5 announcement because there's no P5 ready to release.
Wow I didn’t know that I thought they were the next best thing in the drone world, my bad

Reports out today (Bloomberg, BBC, CNBC) say GoPro sales have been plummeting and the entire company is going up for sale. They hired JP Morgan to advise them.

Wow is hilarious and sad at the same to see GoPro going down. They had a chance to compete with DJI but they never hired the right team.

They never had a chance to complete with DJI.

They are an action cam company. There is now a ton of competition that there wasn’t 3-4 years ago. Have a look on amazon and see how many GoPro knock offs you see. And with in the last year or so these knock offs have come around to show a decent quality. Enough quality to be used and enjoyed.

I just bought a 1080p action cam with accessories for 29.99 bucks! Extra batteries, wp case, 2” LCD, etc. I’m sure the GoPro 6 or whatever is a better cam, but at almost 20 times the cost? They have a 4K knock off for around 60-70 bucks. I paid around 400 for my hero 3 about 4 years ago. Very few are going to pay that premium today. We had no choice but to it pay 2,3,-4 years ago because the competition wasn’t there.

Lovely to see them go down. Greedy company with **** products and laughable marketing. The Hero 5 should have had a 1 inch sensor with 5 axis stabilistion for that price.

And the Karma... what were they thinking.

Go Pro.. Be a Hero :D

Reactions: macoman
That’s just great Dronefriend, along with them going down is a lot of family’s losing there jobs, there homes, there cars, I guess you’ll one of those people that like seeing people suffer, I hope it never happens to you.

That’s just great Dronefriend, along with them going down is a lot of family’s losing there jobs, there homes, there cars, I guess you’ll one of those people that like seeing people suffer, I hope it never happens to you.
Well that is nothing I take joy in. I hope these people find new jobs. Having had about 20 different jobs myself I don’t see switching jobs as that big of a deal to be honest. Talent finds its way.

Having 20 different jobs, sounds to me like you need talent or you one job one have done.
Oh please I was fine with you going completely off topic and assuming the fact that I enjoyed people getting homeless and losing their cars, and getting cancer, just from the fact that I said I think Go Pro had it all coming when they did what they did.

Since you obviously want to start tossing piles of crap from a comment about a company that have never heard of you, or care about you, I can only think of one reason; you owned Go Pro stocks? Or not? Whatever the reason, you have drifted far from subject.

It’s really to bad they couldn’t recover, so much potential lost. In the drone market, we need some real completion. Think about it this way, in the world of computers, IBM was the biggest, richest, market leader for years and years. Their products were excellent, until they realized they were the biggest, richest, etc. Prices went up, innovation slowed, 3rd parties were squeezed out, all bad. At some point a scampi little company called Compaq came along, along with a bunch of other players, that all had decent and sometimes better products, and guess what, prices fell, innovation soared, lots of options came into the market, all good.

So, IBM er DJI could use a little Compaq er name your new Drone company, to come along and give them a bit of a push. Just good business.

Last edited:
Reactions: chrismatthewssr
Innovation is a good thing , so true and competition never hurt any company , but the true fact is China will just steal your ideas as soon as it’s a winner . They do it everyday , 95% of big company’s have sold there soles to them now , the job market is dead and has been for a long time .. multiple jobs is the new world now , very rare to have a job for life like the old days , l do feel sad for those guys loosing there jobs but 2 to 3 hundred being layed of is a small number these days and happens way too often . Yes China and its rip offs is the winner [emoji3]

Reactions: chrismatthewssr

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT