GOOGLE MAP PETITION! For Androids outside of China.

Do you want GOOGLE MAPS back?

• Total voters
Now to think about another $600+ outlay.

Before outlaying the extra dosh you might might want to consider getting a copy of Litchi. As posted you get Google maps back plus the ability to program missions which could be useful (you can program missions on your desktop as well before downloading to your craft (it's cloud based)).

Reactions: Loz
I'm assuming with the Tab E you have to powercycle the tablet while physically connected to the RC for the app to make the connection. If in that case and you have a WiFi only tab, then you lose the satellite caching but if you can get it internet, say with a phone hot-spot, then the map info should come back.
Make sure though you don't have apps on the Tab syncing other data. In my case I have OneDrive sync the video cache and that killed my 4g monthly allowance.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Just install a version of go prior to the map update..

Aww. Now THAT"S a good idea. I'll look into cost. I'm using a Samsung Tab E with a nice large screen. Don't use IOS - any suggestion to model at all?

I suggest IPad mini 3 with more than 16 GB would work well. I use one with 16gb memory, and whilst works well, I could use more memory to store photos & video than I have. iPad mini is a good size & weight. I bought one second hand on eBay last year as a dedicated display and very happy. Bright sunlight like most devices is challenging.

Edit update: I saw poster advise to go for iPad Pro 9.7". Now all opinions valid, however before you buy try! I have an IPad Pro, iPhone 6 and iPad mini 3 - iPad Pro for me and most folk is too big and heavy, but is a good screen size - you decide.
I always fly with iPad mini 3.

- Phantom P3A & P3P -
Sent from my iPad Pro using PhantomPilots App

Last edited:
The slagging on Android earlier here is complete horse manure. Sounds like someone who had a bad experience with a crappy Android product. I have similar anecdotes from friends about iOS and Apple's Iron Fist about anything that goes on their phones and tablets.

The truth is, both solutions are pretty much equally as good. I'm running on an Nvidia Shield, a popular solution on Phantom Pilots, and have none of the issue that were leveled as criticisms against Android earlier. The Shield is an exceptional tablet, runs Litchi and GO without problems. It's also an excellent entertainment platform -- better than any iPad for that purpose, IMO, and that's a hardware statement, not a comment on Android vs. iOS.

So, bottom line is this: Get a tablet operating system based on your preference. If you like Android, get an Android tablet. Just make sure you get one that is capable of running the software. Because Android is an open system supported by many vendors, there are more options than there are with the iPad. This is, net, a good thing, as it makes Android available to far more people (no cheap iPads), but it adds complication of having to do a bit more research up front before purchasing.

The slagging on Android earlier here is complete horse manure. Sounds like someone who had a bad experience with a crappy Android product. I have similar anecdotes from friends about iOS and Apple's Iron Fist about anything that goes on their phones and tablets.

The truth is, both solutions are pretty much equally as good. I'm running on an Nvidia Shield, a popular solution on Phantom Pilots, and have none of the issue that were leveled as criticisms against Android earlier. The Shield is an exceptional tablet, runs Litchi and GO without problems. It's also an excellent entertainment platform -- better than any iPad for that purpose, IMO, and that's a hardware statement, not a comment on Android vs. iOS.

So, bottom line is this: Get a tablet operating system based on your preference. If you like Android, get an Android tablet. Just make sure you get one that is capable of running the software. Because Android is an open system supported by many vendors, there are more options than there are with the iPad. This is, net, a good thing, as it makes Android available to far more people (no cheap iPads), but it adds complication of having to do a bit more research up front before purchasing.

Really? Ever compare them side-by-side? I have, many times.
iPad-Air-2-vs.-Samsung-Tablet-Screenshots.jpg

iPad Air 2 on left and my POS Samy10.1" on right, and my Samy S6 Edge is no better (It's on a charger as the **** Android also drains batteries a lot faster than the iPad Air 2 + Cellular for some reason. It needs a Mophie battery-backup case on it to make it through a day.). Map resolution is far better on the iPad of same industrial area. Could be HERE maps on the Android, and Apple or Goggle on the iPad. Both are running current GO 4 version too.

Fwiw, the Samy tablet also crashed to a black screen trying to do this and button didn't respond so it needed a hard reboot. No doubt some app maker's crapware loaded in the background as Android is want to do and allow. Apple seems more reluctant to allowing that, imho, where Android's Play Store you have to approve a lot of stuff for many apps to load.

`
Really? Ever compare them side-by-side? I have, many times.
Well yes, I have. I also have developed applications for both.

Your naivete causing you to buy a crappy Android tablet says nothing about the quality and functionality of Android at all.

Also, with a little effort one can get a killer Android tablet, root it, and remove all the bloatware and other crap loading the system resources, making it faster and more efficient. Something that's much harder to do on iOS, unless the release and hardware version you're interested in has been "jail breaked", something Apple is working very hard to counter all the time.

Bottom line: I can get a much, much more powerful, octo-core 2.7K screen resolution 10" Android tablet that, with a little bit of tweaking will run circles around any 10" iOS tablet for about half the price.

And you don't need to be an engineer to do it. If you can configure wifi, you can root an Android tablet with simple instructions found with Google.

I'm not saying iOS is a poor choice. What I'm saying is your assertions that Android is a poor choice are simply flat out wrong.

Reactions: uavflyr
`
Well yes, I have. I also have developed applications for both.

Your naivete causing you to buy a crappy Android tablet says nothing about the quality and functionality of Android at all.

Also, with a little effort one can get a killer Android tablet, root it, and remove all the bloatware and other crap loading the system resources, making it faster and more efficient. Something that's much harder to do on iOS, unless the release and hardware version you're interested in has been "jail breaked", something Apple is working very hard to counter all the time.

Bottom line: I can get a much, much more powerful, octo-core 2.7K screen resolution 10" Android tablet that, with a little bit of tweaking will run circles around any 10" iOS tablet for about half the price.

And you don't need to be an engineer to do it. If you can configure wifi, you can root an Android tablet with simple instructions found with Google.

I'm not saying iOS is a poor choice. What I'm saying is your assertions that Android is a poor choice are simply flat out wrong.

The word "Rooted" + "Android" should not be in the lexicon for GO to run well.. It's a poor OS that allows for crapware to consume resources as it is now. At least Apple restricts it to some degree and it works without the need to wipe and root the OS on random occasions when the crapware takes over from GO to speed up the OS, and the possibility of bricking the Android or voiding the warranty in the process. I'd wager that Android has a 9:1 complaint rate against iOS with DJI GO. Sorry, but Android sucks - or soon will as the system self-bloats in size - for GO operations, and even the rooted P4P+ screen isn't working out well and lagging.

Also, how's those fantastic 'hi-rez' Android GO 4 Here maps working out for you? LMAO!

I learned a long time ago that it's pointless to try and talk sense to Apple Fanboys, so you can win this one.

I've said my piece... Others can judge for themselves. Anyone who would like some advice on good Android tablets, we can discuss that in a different thread, and hopefully Gmack will be civil enough to stay out of the discussion.

I do have to say, however, that it is deliciously ironic that GMack is taunting over Google Maps. I don't think he groks the irony; I'm sure others here do.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl