Good morning.. a motor question

Reaction score
my question is .. for the Phantom 3 standard.. is there motors than I can install to increase payload? As for my main intent use with the drone will be used for fishing as a bait deployment device. I really appreciate anyones insight and product info if there's any.. TIA God bless

Not really, the P3 series use 2 different styles of motors along with different ESC's for each type of motor but they basically perform identically other than the newer style motors are abit quieter. There really is no way to increase the payload capacity of the P3 due to the design of the electronics. The control board will automatically compensate for different motors and/or props basically giving the same performance.

If motors have more power under the same voltage, from Ohm's law - the motors will have lower impedance. It is likely that ESCs would detect that and report the well known "ESC Status Error". So you'd have to replace motors and ESCs.

But ESCs are using non-standard protocol to talk to flight controller, so you'd have to replace the FC.

.. and following that, soon you'd get just a Phantom shell with all the electronics replaced.

But even Phantom shell isn't too good for that - even with stock motors, it sometimes develops cracks. So you'd have to replace this as well.

Best solution for larger payload is to buy an old Inspire. They're usually quite affordable considering what they costed when new; but also hard to find.

my question is .. for the Phantom 3 standard.. is there motors than I can install to increase payload? As for my main intent use with the drone will be used for fishing as a bait deployment device. I really appreciate anyones insight and product info if there's any.. TIA God bless

If it's running 3S batteries, you can increase the voltage to 4S, which will give you a real seat-of-the-pants increase in power.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

There is literally zero documentation from DJI regarding voltage spec's for ANY of their birds. So you're just going to have to take my word for it. I took a chance with my P1 and was the best decision I ever made.

I also upgraded my motors to the T-Motors KV920 Antigravity Motors. Again, a good decision.

If the P3 already runs on a 4S, I don't think I would take a chance with a 5S without researching every component, first.

D

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31