1 motor running hotter

Reaction score
I think I've asked for help about this before but couldn't remember. On my Phantom 4 I've noticed that 1 motor runs a little hotter than the other 3. Around 5 degrees hotter at the most. I used a ir temp gun and even though I know it's not especially accurate for displaying accurate temps but it's saying that 3 motors are 90-92 degrees Fahrenheit and the one in question is around 95-97 degrees Fahrenheit. It feels exactly the same as the others when I spin in. So I'm not sure what's up. Can anyone give me some insight as to what might be happening? Thank you in advanced . I appreciate it.

Sit the drone on your desk with props off. Arm the motors and listen to the bearings.. You can press a screwdriver against the airframe close to each motor and push your ear against it, listening carefully for any difference in sound between motors. If nothing's different you are unlikely to have a sudden failure. Just continue to monitor sounds and temperatures, keeping a written record. If you get an increase, change the offending motor. How many hours has your drone flown since new?

Sent from my E5653 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm big on motor temp as an indicator of motor strain.
A few degrees is not a significant difference.

If this is just a one-off measurement than you need more data.
It could be related to an imbalance in the a/c on that 'corner' (i.e. a bit heavier).

Using sound gives you no reference. It's a plastic shell with lots of things in it to vibrate so it could sound different but mean nothing.

If you want to try to resolve this quickly, move the motor to a different corner, collect data, and see if the temp follows or not.

Sit the drone on your desk with props off. Arm the motors and listen to the bearings.. You can press a screwdriver against the airframe close to each motor and push your ear against it, listening carefully for any difference in sound between motors. If nothing's different you are unlikely to have a sudden failure. Just continue to monitor sounds and temperatures, keeping a written record. If you get an increase, change the offending motor. How many hours has your drone flown since new?

Sent from my E5653 using PhantomPilots mobile app
I'll try that. Thank you! I have approximately 3 hours on the aircraft since new.

I'm big on motor temp as an indicator of motor strain.
A few degrees is not a significant difference.

If this is just a one-off measurement than you need more data.
It could be related to an imbalance in the a/c on that 'corner' (i.e. a bit heavier).

Using sound gives you no reference. It's a plastic shell with lots of things in it to vibrate so it could sound different but mean nothing.

If you want to try to resolve this quickly, move the motor to a different corner, collect data, and see if the temp follows or not.
Great advice. I actually was thinking that exact option. But since it's only a month old I don't want to open it up and void my DJI care .

Like NO17 say's a few degrees is no problem, when you are in gps mode some of the motors will work harder to maintain position. If it's not windy try in atti mode they should be pretty mutch the same temp.

About a month ago, maybe in the P3 forum, someone used a tachometer to check their motors and the speeds were all over the map with one a lot less I think.

I had a cheap Harbor Freight tach (~$35) and did it on the P4 on level ground and surprised the four were within 50 RPM of each other at idle. I think idle was around 3,090 RPM or so on average. One may have felt a bit warmer than the others, but I'm not that concerned about it as it seems to work okay and I think the thing is smart enough to tell you there is a motor going south - maybe?

About a month ago, maybe in the P3 forum, someone used a tachometer to check their motors and the speeds were all over the map with one a lot less I think.

I had a cheap Harbor Freight tach (~$35) and did it on the P4 on level ground and surprised the four were within 50 RPM of each other at idle. I think idle was around 3,090 RPM or so on average. One may have felt a bit warmer than the others, but I'm not that concerned about it as it seems to work okay and I think the thing is smart enough to tell you there is a motor going south - maybe?
Im hoping it's smart enough to tell me.

Like NO17 say's a few degrees is no problem, when you are in gps mode some of the motors will work harder to maintain position. If it's not windy try in atti mode they should be pretty mutch the same temp.
If I switch to atti mode in mid air what can I expect to happen? Regarding flying habits. I'm nervous I will crash

Atti mode simply means it will drift with the wind. Everyone should be aware of this and learn to fly without GPS. Try on a calm day at first.

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
Yes, should also add to the wind drift that occurs that it will also coast after a horizontal control input from momentum or inertia. So you'd need a bit of opposite input to 'counter' that if you wish.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20