Gimbal Motor Overload

Reaction score
So this just popped up. During the third battery the cam just cocked to the right. I landed, restarted and checked everything. No issue. Took off and it happened again. The cam seems panned (not tilted) to the right. Tried everything: IMU & gimbal calibration The up/down tilt works fine - seems it's the side to side action that is giving it trouble.

Of course, DJI wants me to send it in, but that's a last. Any ideas? Gimbal motor fried or bad gimbal cable?

So this just popped up. During the third battery the cam just cocked to the right. I landed, restarted and checked everything. No issue. Took off and it happened again. The cam seems panned (not tilted) to the right. Tried everything: IMU & gimbal calibration The up/down tilt works fine - seems it's the side to side action that is giving it trouble.

Of course, DJI wants me to send it in, but that's a last. Any ideas? Gimbal motor fried or bad gimbal cable?
AirMan05446, I had the EXACT same thing happen to my Phantom 4 Pro. Monday Sept. 11, I took off like normal, then on my way to where I was videoing, the gimbal cocked to the right and started shaking like crazy. I hurried and brought the drone back and landed. Then I turned the drone off, restarted it, and on the DJI GO app it said "gimbal motor overloaded." So I took off again and the camera was still shaking like crazy, so I landed again and went home. I tried everything: calibrated IMU/Compass, calibrated gimbal, and it is still PANNED not tilted to the right, whenever I turn the drone on. I called support, and as usual they said I will probably have to send it in.
The up/down, and the tilt movement are fine, but the gimbal will not pan to the left while drone is powered on. With the drone off I tested to see if anything was tight, and it was not. I am at a loss for what is wrong with it, and I DO NOT want to send it in.

If anyone knows how to fix this it would mean the world to me,
Thanks,
Cody Smith
Smith Aerial Services

Hey Cody -- ahh misery loves company! I'm going to work the Internet for another week to see if I can find a solution -- If not I will then look for a local company to fix it.. I have the old FW and do not want DJI to update it!

So with no other options, I updated the FW using DJI assistant. Cam still cocked to the right. :-( Tried to recalibrate where you aim at the blue box on the screen. It keeps telling me reboot the AC. I'm about to give in and send it on in.. :-(

So with no other options, I updated the FW using DJI assistant. Cam still cocked to the right. :-( Tried to recalibrate where you aim at the blue box on the screen. It keeps telling me reboot the AC. I'm about to give in and send it on in.. :-(
I too updated firmware with DJI Assistant, but I did not try to calibrate it by aiming at the screen. I may have to give that a shot just to see. I've been looking hard on forums to find a solution, but nothing has worked yet.

This happened to me while using Autopilot and DJI4 app right after. I used RTH button, the drone landed. Turned off the drone, the controller, closed all the apps. Then started it again and DJI4 app was requesting to do IMU calibration. After that everything works till now fine.

Mine is currently on its way to CA to have DJI take a look at it. It started with the gimbal growling then I got the gimbal overload error. After that the camera would shake left and right in fligh. I also noticed my camera now pointing to the right. I did all the calibrations and that did nothing. When I called them and told them what all I had done they had me send it in. It will be there Tuesday and hopefully they'll have an answer for me quickly. I'll make a post as soon as I know something.

UPDATE!!! IT STARTED WORKING! So I started off by updating my remote controller to the latest firmware. Then, with the drone powered on, I changed the gimbal mode to FPV and turned and tilted the drone for about 30 seconds. Then I adjusted the gimbal tilt from 0 to 10 degrees, hit the zero button to reset it back to normal, then adjusted gimbal from 0 to -10 degrees. After this, I checked the DJI Go App and it DID NOT say "gimbal motor overloaded". With the drone still on, I put the props on and carefully moved it outside for a flight. I took off like normal and slowly moved forward to back, side to side, and yawed. The gimbal was still performing fine. So I then did a little more aggressive movements and the gimbal still performed like normal. Then I landed the drone, turned it off, took it inside and took the props off. I then turned the drone on to make sure it was not a fluke. The camera was pointed in the center like it should be, and the app did not say "gimbal motor overloaded." Hopefully this was not a fluke, but as of now it is working.

AirMan05446, I truly hope this works for you as well!
Thanks,
Cody Smith
Smith Aerial Services

UPDATE!!! IT STARTED WORKING! So I started off by updating my remote controller to the latest firmware. Then, with the drone powered on, I changed the gimbal mode to FPV and turned and tilted the drone for about 30 seconds. Then I adjusted the gimbal tilt from 0 to 10 degrees, hit the zero button to reset it back to normal, then adjusted gimbal from 0 to -10 degrees. After this, I checked the DJI Go App and it DID NOT say "gimbal motor overloaded". With the drone still on, I put the props on and carefully moved it outside for a flight. I took off like normal and slowly moved forward to back, side to side, and yawed. The gimbal was still performing fine. So I then did a little more aggressive movements and the gimbal still performed like normal. Then I landed the drone, turned it off, took it inside and took the props off. I then turned the drone on to make sure it was not a fluke. The camera was pointed in the center like it should be, and the app did not say "gimbal motor overloaded." Hopefully this was not a fluke, but as of now it is working.

AirMan05446, I truly hope this works for you as well!
Thanks,
Cody Smith
Smith Aerial Services

Wow - great job, Mr. Cody! A DJI rep on the DJI board did say the error sounded software related. Wondering if this is a ploy to get us to update the FW! LOL. I'm going to give a whirl and get back to ya. Fingers crossed!

Lately I've been having several gimbal issues. It's starting to get annoying. I have a P4 and my gimbal just goes limp during flight. Every time I've landed it and reset it. This seems to be getting me by.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src72