Gimbal gets stuck during pre-flight warmup

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a brand new Phantom 4 Pro with a gimbal issue. I received this on Dec 14 but had not unwrapped it until this past weekend. The first time I powered up everything, everything seemed to initialize as expected. My first task was to update the firmware in both the drone and controller since the DJI Go 4 app was telling me to do so. The drone now has version 01.02.0304 and the controller has version 01.03.00.00. I have started and connected the drone and remote controller several times while indoors (no flying) so as to get familiar with the controls and settings. Intermittently (usually every other time I start it up), the gimbal starts its pre-flight initialization but when it turns down and points toward the rear (see attached picture), it gets stuck and will not move anymore while the drone is powered on. If I leave it for any length of time (a few minutes), the camera and gimbal get very warm. I tried to do the Gimbal Auto Calibration procedure but it hangs up at 5% and then fails. Sometimes, after turning everything off and restarting the power-up sequence, the gimbal performs normally and does its normal pre-flight initialization routine. When this occurs, I can perform an Auto Calibration. Calibration seems to be successful although it completes after only 68%. As I said, this is intermittent and sometimes everything will start normally several times in a row before the gimbal has this problem. I have not contacted DJI yet but plan to do so today. I wanted to throw this out to the forum to see if others have experienced a similar issue. Thanks.

Robert
gimbal.JPG

My suggestions:
Download DJI Assistant2 on PC
Connect to P4P
Update firmware
Cold-Calibrate IMU
If that doesn't work, contact DJI.
And Welcome to the Forum!!!

I've done all of the above except contact DJI. The last firmware update says it is supposed to fix the gimbal issues, seems not so much

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Hey SuPaDuPa,
Sorry to hear you are having problems, too. I spoke with DJI today and the support guy told me to send the drone back to them for repair. I don't know if this is a problem they are aware of and have a solution for already. I plan to try out Techcop50's suggestion but if I do not have success, I will send mine in for repair or whatever. You mentioned other issues. Please post them so I can determine if I need something else checked out when I send the drone in. I just haven't had the drone long enough to thoroughly test it out.

Techcop50,
Thanks for the suggestion. I plan to do that although I am not sure what you mean by cold-calibrate the IMU. How is that different from just running the standard IMU calibration? Once I go through the power-up sequence, I do not get an IMU Calibration error so I do not know how to force a calibration. Is it done in the DJI Assistant 2?

Hello,
I have a brand new Phantom 4 Pro with a gimbal issue. I received this on Dec 14 but had not unwrapped it until this past weekend. The first time I powered up everything, everything seemed to initialize as expected. My first task was to update the firmware in both the drone and controller since the DJI Go 4 app was telling me to do so. The drone now has version 01.02.0304 and the controller has version 01.03.00.00. I have started and connected the drone and remote controller several times while indoors (no flying) so as to get familiar with the controls and settings. Intermittently (usually every other time I start it up), the gimbal starts its pre-flight initialization but when it turns down and points toward the rear (see attached picture), it gets stuck and will not move anymore while the drone is powered on. If I leave it for any length of time (a few minutes), the camera and gimbal get very warm. I tried to do the Gimbal Auto Calibration procedure but it hangs up at 5% and then fails. Sometimes, after turning everything off and restarting the power-up sequence, the gimbal performs normally and does its normal pre-flight initialization routine. When this occurs, I can perform an Auto Calibration. Calibration seems to be successful although it completes after only 68%. As I said, this is intermittent and sometimes everything will start normally several times in a row before the gimbal has this problem. I have not contacted DJI yet but plan to do so today. I wanted to throw this out to the forum to see if others have experienced a similar issue. Thanks.

RobertView attachment 73814
Robert, check the ribbon cable for the heck of it. My gimbal used to make a clicking sound, camera would not pitch smooth nearly at the same place your camera gets stuck. Click on gimbal click link below.
Gimbal Click

Techcop50,
Thanks for the suggestion. I plan to do that although I am not sure what you mean by cold-calibrate the IMU. How is that different from just running the standard IMU calibration? Once I go through the power-up sequence, I do not get an IMU Calibration error so I do not know how to force a calibration. Is it done in the DJI Assistant 2?
Here's a video that explains a lot:

If I leave it for any length of time (a few minutes), the camera and gimbal get very warm. I tried to do the Gimbal Auto Calibration procedure but it hangs up at 5% and then fails. Sometimes, after turning everything off and restarting the power-up sequence, the gimbal performs normally and does its normal pre-flight initialization routine.

RobertView attachment 73814

Question. I see in your picture above, the foam shipping block is still on the top of the Gimbal. Have you removed that? If it is left on, it can cause the gimbal to overheat.

Reactions: Techcop50
All the other issues I have are firmware related so I will wait for updates.
Constant wind warnings even with no wind, also in the flight simulator mode.
The gimbal issue happens about 40 to 50% of the time. Simple restart fixes it usually ... leads me to believe it's firmware as well.
Had a climbing issue where the phantom would rise up on its way home. This seems to be sorted with the update.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Why is the foam block still attached to gimbal while drone is powered on! Not good for the gimbal

Ahhh, thanks for noticing that, $gambino$ and DmaxSurveyor - good eyes. I saw that block when I first powered up the drone so I removed it. But after I turned everything off and hooked up the gimbal support bracket, I put it back on since it seemed like a good protection. I have powered this unit up numerous times now but most of the time, I remembered to remove the foam block. Obviously, I have forgotten it at least once. I took the picture several days ago when the problem was happening (and the foam block was in place). Since then, I have left the drone out without its gimbal bracket and foam block and have powered it up 15 or 20 times. I have not been able to replicate the problem and I am positive the foam block has not been inserted since I took the picture. At this point, as far as I can tell, I think the gimbal is performing normally - no jerky movements, no unusual noise, etc. I don't know if the foam was the primary cause of the problem but it certainly seems like it had some bad effect (overheating, for instance). I will put that piece of foam aside and not use it except for shipping only.

Right now, the problem is not happening so I do not plan to ship this off to DJI just yet. If I understand the DJI warranty (not very clear on their web site), the gimbal/camera are warranted for 6 months. I will keep that date in mind. I still have a few other suggestions made here to try out and I will keep testing the startup to see if the problem occurs again. I appreciate all the suggestions and will post any updates of significance.

Cool hopefully everything works out yes only use that foam block and the gimbal protector when moving the drone around in its storage case ....normally I just use the clear camera protector on that holds everything in place

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl