Gimbal control in RTH

Reaction score
Hi, I don’t seem to be able to move my gimbal when in RTH, is that normal? I have a P4P v2.
Gimbal works fine in normal modes.

Not quite sure but RTH is designed to bring AC home so there is really no need for gimbal control meanwhile.

I am still recording video while it is returning and sometimes want to be able to tilt gimbal down while the drone is in a nice steady straight path returning home. I am able to move the gimbal on my M2Z and Spark in RTH.

As I said I'm not sure if that is normal or no but it is not very big issue if not. You can always cancel RTH and make the shot you like.
Let's wait if somebody other has something to say.

This is my best guess, when you activate RTH the drone has one task and that is to return home avoiding obstacles and adjusting gimbal for landing therefor making it nonresponsive to the controller..I would bet that there are other features that don't work when RTH is activated. I have had the same experience when RTH has been activated. As Andy9 stated if you want to continue recording just cancel RTH.

Seems to be a normal function on a V2.0, as I have also discovered. You can, however adjust the gimbal the moment after the "landing" announcement is made. That's when I usually go full down gimbal to watch the landing.
Kinda odd, not on other DJI models, like that.

Reactions: CarlStarke
Hi, I don’t seem to be able to move my gimbal when in RTH, is that normal? I have a P4P v2.
Gimbal works fine in normal modes.
In your app settings for Obstacle Avoidance you can enable/disable obstacle avoidance during RTH.
If it is enabled, the camera is used for obstacle avoidance and you can't control it.

In your app settings for Obstacle Avoidance you can enable/disable obstacle avoidance during RTH.
If it is enabled, the camera is used for obstacle avoidance and you can't control it.

Very interesting thank you.

Since when is the main camera used in obstacle avoidance?
Not saying you’re wrong- but I didn’t think the main camera had anything to do with OA at all.

And yes, previous models - at least P3 pro’s don’t do that. The camera gimbal is fully functional during RTH.

P4P+ v4.2.6
I used RTH for only second time during "wind emergency";
when drone returned to overhead ~100 ft & began slowly descending,
I sped up descent to full speed via pulling left joystick.
At least that function still worked during RTH.

Since when is the main camera used in obstacle avoidance?
Not saying you’re wrong- but I didn’t think the main camera had anything to do with OA at all.

Page 16 of the P4 pro manual says this:
As the aircraft returns, it will use the primary camera to identify obstacles as far as 300m in front, allowing it to plan a safe route home.
And the 3rd item in the settings here also backs this up.
i-WsLtTZv-L.jpg

And yes, previous models - at least P3 pro’s don’t do that. The camera gimbal is fully functional during RTH.
The P3 series doesn't have any obstacle avoidance system.

Then, if that’s the case, how does obstacle avoidance work in normal operations, such as Tripod Mode when we film & shoot stills with camera (gimbal) pointed wherever we want?
It’s not using the camera for OA then.

Then, if that’s the case, how does obstacle avoidance work in normal operations, such as Tripod Mode when we film & shoot stills with camera (gimbal) pointed wherever we want?
It’s not using the camera for OA then.
When you are stopped or flying slowly taking photos, the drone isn't looking for a clear path to RTH.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT