Getting buzzed by helicopter when flying

Are we in Off Topic yet?

Me gonna have fun with this.
Anyone hear from Tina yet?

I live in NY....they took away our AR15s....and much more....so don't laugh, anything is possible.
I will agree the politics in NY suck for sure, and I am against the S.A.F.E. act that strips even more gun rights from New Yorkers, but I hate to see misinformation spread as truth. It does not take your assault style rifles away, but rather requires you to register it with NY. Worse than that though is the fact that we cannot buy any future guns that fall under the new law. If you didn't own it prior to the law you are SOL. For those who don't know about this law, it was enacted in a secret midnight deal with no public knowledge or input, but I guess I have come to expect this type of crap from NY and Cuomo in particular.
Hang on second, lemme climb down off my soapbox. Ok, now let me slide this on over to 'off topic'.

Reactions: dirkclod
Thank you very much TJ.

Now, has anyone seen Tina?
She's the one with a great imagination and loves Tequila.
Maybe this will draw her out.
Work Shirt back.jpg

Hi honey, I'm home.
:mad:...:eek:...:oops:

**** it Dirk, she's a blonde, with really big EYES...

and she can't sing for poop.

**** it Dirk, she's a blonde, with really big EYES...

and she can't sing for poop.

Sometimes blonde and can't sing for 'poop', this must be her.

Nicki-Minaj-Big-Eyes.jpeg

Probably best to steer clear, lest they find the tomatoes. :D

Cow poop... steer clear... Hmmm.... I sense a trend... Whoa... Hang on. There's a government drone outside my window. I think he saw my Phantom case on the floor from 500 miles out... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::p:)

Reactions: dirkclod and Hughie
When I estimated 5 miles, he looked like he was over the water when I first saw him, which is 5 miles from my house. I stand by my estimate.
Your estimate is incorrect. Several things affect a pilots ability to see other air traffic. First and foremost is altitude. If the traffic you're trying to see is flying higher than you are, it will be on a background of sky from your perspective. If the traffic is flying at a lower altitude, it will be on a background of ground from your perspective. It is MUCH more difficult to spot traffic that is flying lower than you are and therefore set against a background of ground clutter. You didn't indicate whether you or the helicopter was flying higher, but if the helicopter was 5 miles away, it would need to be pretty high for you to be able to see it from the ground.

The second thing that affects a pilots ability to see other air traffic is relative motion, i.e. if the traffic you're trying to spot is moving in your windscreen. Two craft flying head on toward each other will have very little relative motion in the windscreen of the other. Each will appear almost stationary and slowly get larger in the windscreen of the other. On the other hand if one is aircraft is flying due north and the other is flying due east, each will be moving from one side the windscreen to the other. This makes the traffic much easier to spot.

The thing is, the relative motion needs to be fairly constant and cover a good chunk of real estate. I'm talking miles here not feet. A phantom has a range of about a mile or so. Which means we end up flying in a box that is much less than a mile most of the time. Viewed from 5 miles away, an object scooting around 1000' this way and then 1500' the other way is going to have almost no relative motion. Now put that object down in the dirt, i.e against a background of ground clutter relative to the other aircraft, and make it about the size of a bread box and yeah, there is simply no way anyone is going to be able to see it from 5 miles away. Absolutely no way.

When I flew banners for a living, I'd know from talking to the other guys on the radio that I had traffic in front of me which I was going to overtake. Flying directly in front of me and bit slower. I'd be actively looking for it because I knew from the radio that it was out there. And many times I'd get within 1/2 to 1/4 mile from it before I could see it because it was lower than me and masked by the ground in my view. And that was traffic with a 30'+ wingspan and pulling a 40'x100' banner. A 14" Phantom flying 5 miles away? Nope. Not going to happen. Even a mile away would be tough.

By the way guys, you can laugh all you want, but it's your hobby that's going to get taken away by the feds. This was not intended to be a troll. And you're not hurting me at all.
When the feds take something away, they take it away everywhere. There are water skiers on the lake behind my house all summer long. And dirt bikes, quads and other UAV's in the fields near my home all summer along with snowmobiles all winter. So I'm pretty sure it wasn't the feds that took away your ability to water ski or ride your dirt bike. I'm just sayin.

Reactions: Hughie
Reactions: AmosMoses
LOL Seen this last nite and thought WTF o_O Now I get it :)
Really it's not funny though....I mean how comments are just flying over my head
and it takes me a few times to get it o_O
Getting older sucks ;)
Really?? I was worried that the younger members wouldn't get it..... Maybe a multivitamin regimen is in order??
uploadfromtaptalk1428587458348.jpg

Dirkclod I misread your Marlin as Merlin and thought you were quoting Top Gun. "We were....uh....communicating"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
whatwehaveherecoolhandlukede2.jpg

Oh my,

johan, I agree with almost everything, well less than that, BUT

Really? You are talking "Old School", which doesn't really matter because even today there isn't a freaking "Banner Tower" that overtakes anything except LA traffic. You're cracking me up. Didja think no one was reading this Shirt??

So, on to the "Vitamin", it doesn't dissolve in your system in time to feed you the nutrients. Do the research. Eat right and live healthy. Who's next?

**** it TJ, I said a blonde.

Slinger, just cuz you're paranoid, doesn't mean thay ain't watchin'.

And that brings us to AmosMoses, Well my good man, or woman, you get a 10 for that post. Ifn's we ain't laughin yet, we should be wearing a white coat with really long sleeves.

This is in "OFF TOPIC", Right?

Tina, oh Tina, come back to me. I miss you so much.

Oh my,

johan, I agree with almost everything, well less than that, BUT

Really? You are talking "Old School", which doesn't really matter because even today there isn't a freaking "Banner Tower" that overtakes anything except LA traffic. You're cracking me up. Didja think no one was reading this Shirt??

So, on to the "Vitamin", it doesn't dissolve in your system in time to feed you the nutrients. Do the research. Eat right and live healthy. Who's next?

**** it TJ, I said a blonde.

Slinger, just cuz you're paranoid, doesn't mean thay ain't watchin'.

And that brings us to AmosMoses, Well my good man, or woman, you get a 10 for that post. Ifn's we ain't laughin yet, we should be wearing a white coat with really long sleeves.

This is in "OFF TOPIC", Right?

Tina, oh Tina, come back to me. I miss you so much.
uh oh ..
crap-hitting-the-fan.gif

Reactions: IflyinWY
Mr Dirk,

I respectively say that that thing you have posted does not depict what I actually meant.

May we have a THERMONUCLEAR EXPLOSION" smilie please?

Mr Dirk,

I respectively say that that thing you have posted does not depict what I actually meant.

May we have a THERMONUCLEAR EXPLOSION" smilie please?
images0SNTWFCN.jpg
images7AE9KZ8Q.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1