German Drone Laws changed

Reaction score
Spotted this video from Tom, seems to suggest they have changed the laws over there(Im UK)
Does anyone have any more information as I have a trip booked early next year, and had planned on taking my bird.

I have looked, and couldn't see another thread on this.

Reactions: BigAl07
It appears to be new law, and Tom is distraught over this. I would be too, I'd be extremely PO'd and feel much like Tom, wanting to move to another country. I can't believe the people in Germany are going to take this kind of draconian abuse of their freedoms. If I was you, don't be taking your drone to Germany to fly, that's the last think I'd be doing. I simply boycott countries that aren't drone friendly. There are many vacation spots around the world that are OK with drones, and that's where I'll spend my money.

Last edited:
Quick search:

http://www.loc.gov/law/foreign-news...s-for-operation-of-drones-and-model-aircraft/

Here are the kickers:
Drones and model aircrafts cannot be operated:

• within 100 meters of or above people and public gatherings, the scene of an accident, disaster zones, other sites of operation of police or other organizations with security-related duties, and military drill sites;
  • within 100 meters of or above correctional facilities, military complexes, industrial complexes, power plants, and power generation and distribution facilities;
  • within 100 meters of or above the property of federal or state governments, diplomatic or consular missions, international organizations, and law enforcement and security agencies;
  • within 100 meters of or above federal highways, federal waterways, and railway systems;
  • above nature reserves;
  • above 100 meters;
  • above residential property if the drone or model aircraft weighs more than 0.25 kilograms or if it is able to receive, transmit, or record optical, acoustic, or radio signals;
  • in controlled airspace;
  • to transport explosives, pyrotechnic articles, radioactive materials, or hazardous materials; or
  • within 100 meters of or above hospitals. (Id. art. 2, no. 5, § 21b, ¶ 1, sentence 1, no. 2-11.)
Don't know Germany that well but it appears that they don't enjoy the US's 1st Amendment the same way we do.

I bolded the above as this appears to be what Tom mentions in his video.. that was not even recording. Still, it's using radio signals (I guess to rule out paper airplanes).

Reactions: Technical Bob
Based on this list, it appears they are trying to protect against terrorism. Germany screwed up and invited thousands of refugees from the mid east, without vetting, and now they are worried about bad guys in this migration using drones to terrorize Germany's infrastructure. As a result, the public and industry (bridge, building & tower inspections, farming, SAR, police, disaster assessment) pays a healthy price for not being able to use drone technology as a result. This is a liberal narrow minded government at it's finest. Smooth move exlax.

Reactions: macoman
Based on this list, it appears they are trying to protect against terrorism. Germany screwed up and invited thousands of refugees from the mid east, without vetting, and now they are worried about bad guys in this migration using drones to terrorize Germany's infrastructure. As a result, the public and industry (bridge, building & tower inspections, farming, SAR, police, disaster assessment) pays a healthy price for not being able to use drone technology as a result. This is a liberal narrow minded government at it's finest. Smooth move exlax.
Without descending into a political discussion as its verboten, my mum recently returned to what is now Germany to visit relatives and she couldn't wait to come back. She told me that she has never felt so unsafe despite the vast number of police and para military on the streets of Hamburg and she was advised not to enter certain areas that were once the social hub of the city. Certainly not the country that we migrated from to move to Australia and she is never going back. Hopefully the current CASA review over here doesn't stoop to that level of draconian legislation.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helen Y West