Geofencing

an aside;
I had a car that could be "disabled" by law enforcement, I knew this when I bought it, 1st thing I did was locate the antenna and remove it :rolleyes:
had it in the shop a few months later, tech asked If I wanted a new antenna, "not if I have to pay for it", they put on a new one, n now I have 2
But where does the disable signal come from...the app or a radio signal from the airport??

Are you talking about the geo-fencing changes that DJI has just implemented with its latest firmware releases? If so, you are a bit confused as to how geo-fencing works. It is not based on sensing or blocking communication frequencies between the drone and the controller. It is in the firmware. Based on GPS location the drone will not allow you to fly in locations that are restricted and thus "fenced". Thus geo-fencing has zero effect on general aviation including approaches and glide slopes. The only effect is to make airspace safer for general aviation.

There are other technologies available that detect drone communication frequencies and can either track the controller and drone locations, and potentially even disrupt the signal, but that is not geo-fencing.

Also, it's not just the "bad guys" that violate airspace restrictions. Sometimes it is normal "good guys" that somehow are confused or lose track of where they are. It can be newbies who are not aware of the rules and regulations. All this does is make sure that the RPIC does not (intentionally or unintentionally) wander into restricted airspace.
I understand that it is loaded through the firmware ..but how is it ACTIVATED?..Recently a temporary "no fly" was implemented in my area (I think because of Presidential debate) it was posted that it would be in effect for 4 hrs....since I didn't load any new firmware into the drone during that time...how does the unit know not to fly using only the controller?....thanks

I guess a simpler way of asking is...Does the unit have any other line of communication other than the through the tablet?

If you're not in an area to receive internet, it will not do the geo update. You can fly if there is tfr. If it get signal, maybe in the middle of the flight of a tfr, it will come down. That happened to a guy that was complaining about his drone being forced to come down without his control. In his case, the timing of the tfr kicked in the middle of his flight. He was told it is his responsibility to keep informed so that type of thing didn't happen.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31