Geofencing

Reaction score
Europe is doing it first but they are installing geofencing around airports roughly three to five miles outside of the perimeter which I think is a great idea it will be between certain frequency levels that drones fly. However it's just like the gun laws good guys never fly into air space around or over airports. But the terrorist or bad guy will modify the frequencies on both the transmitter and the Drone so it's not recognized by geofencing. It's a great effort however has a pilot of real aircraft geofencing can also cause issues with iOS approaches Glide slopes cat 3 approaches etcetera. It seemed that once the government got involved they made it more confusing. Again no where does it say how big the lettering must be what type of marker is used where on the Drone the serial number must be written.

That is an interesting thought. Best way to avoid geofencing is not do the update. Another way is to buy a drone that isn't restricted with geofencing.

Are you talking about the geo-fencing changes that DJI has just implemented with its latest firmware releases? If so, you are a bit confused as to how geo-fencing works. It is not based on sensing or blocking communication frequencies between the drone and the controller. It is in the firmware. Based on GPS location the drone will not allow you to fly in locations that are restricted and thus "fenced". Thus geo-fencing has zero effect on general aviation including approaches and glide slopes. The only effect is to make airspace safer for general aviation.

There are other technologies available that detect drone communication frequencies and can either track the controller and drone locations, and potentially even disrupt the signal, but that is not geo-fencing.

Also, it's not just the "bad guys" that violate airspace restrictions. Sometimes it is normal "good guys" that somehow are confused or lose track of where they are. It can be newbies who are not aware of the rules and regulations. All this does is make sure that the RPIC does not (intentionally or unintentionally) wander into restricted airspace.

Reactions: Nightwolf and Ansia
I'm not trying ha. Give it a shot on your end. Let me know how it goes.

just curiousity: does this mean that if you are in ATTI mode you can get by fencing?

No it does not. In ATTI mode, the AC does not use GPS for navigation and location hold. However, it does not shut off GPS so it still knows where it is and will not allow you to fly into restricted airspace. If you have a legitimate reason to fly in restricted airspace, you can unlock the area through the proper procedure in the DJI app.

Sunvisors work as well. I have GPS tracking on both of my sons cars and when they put their sunvisor on I cannot track them.

Sunvisors work as well. I have GPS tracking on both of my sons cars and when they put their sunvisor on I cannot track them.
sunvisors? I'm sorry, I don't understand when your sons put the sunvisors on, you can't track their car gps.

sunvisors? I'm sorry, I don't understand when your sons put the sunvisors on, you can't track their car gps.

If they go somewhere park their car and put their sunvisors on I can’t track them. When their sunvisors are off I can always locate them. And of course I can always track them when they’re traveling, no sunvisors on.
The GPS is located in the Dash by the steering column.

Reactions: Ansia
If they go somewhere park their car and put their sunvisors on I can’t track them. When their sunvisors are off I can always locate them. And of course I can always track them when they’re traveling, no sunvisors on.
The GPS is located in the Dash by the steering column.
You were talking about this. To me the sunvisor is the little thing overhead in the front seats.

Attachments

• wholesale-sided-silver-aluminum-bubble-sunshade.jpg
    wholesale-sided-silver-aluminum-bubble-sunshade.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 302
Are you talking about the geo-fencing changes that DJI has just implemented with its latest firmware releases? If so, you are a bit confused as to how geo-fencing works. It is not based on sensing or blocking communication frequencies between the drone and the controller. It is in the firmware. Based on GPS location the drone will not allow you to fly in locations that are restricted and thus "fenced". Thus geo-fencing has zero effect on general aviation including approaches and glide slopes. The only effect is to make airspace safer for general aviation.

There are other technologies available that detect drone communication frequencies and can either track the controller and drone locations, and potentially even disrupt the signal, but that is not geo-fencing.

Also, it's not just the "bad guys" that violate airspace restrictions. Sometimes it is normal "good guys" that somehow are confused or lose track of where they are. It can be newbies who are not aware of the rules and regulations. All this does is make sure that the RPIC does not (intentionally or unintentionally) wander into restricted airspace.
May be a dumb question but Geofencing is enabled through the app...correct...in other words the drone should still start and fly using only the controller

I have GPS tracking on both of my sons cars and when they put their sunvisor on I cannot track them.

an aside;
I had a car that could be "disabled" by law enforcement, I knew this when I bought it, 1st thing I did was locate the antenna and remove it :rolleyes:
had it in the shop a few months later, tech asked If I wanted a new antenna, "not if I have to pay for it", they put on a new one, n now I have 2

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav