Geo Fencing, beating a dead dog?

Reaction score
I've looked through the forums and seen the dji request video. I have my part 107 and do not fly illegally. Called the local tower today and got verbal permission to fly (Im sure you know this story). Tried the dji flysafe route and they want a written authorization. (I shoot real estate) They wont accept verbal permission. Is there another app besides dji that makes this process easier? I have the most current os on my p4p was that a mistake? Any suggestions to make this process easier, again I have no plans to fly illegally. Is Litchi a better option or same issue with "red zone" ?

Hi @Rerick, to fly in a red zone you need to follow the requirements from the "Custom Unlocking" found here, DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

You will need a letter of agreement or waiver, etc to show that you are authorized to fly in a Red Zone. Any other apps will really not help. Yellow zones are self unlocking but it appears you are aware of that.

To use all of the available functions of your P4P you will need to be on the latest FW. There are work arounds and other software programs that will defeat NFZ zones, with some search criteria you will find them on RCG forums. But then the legality of your missions could be comprimised.

Reactions: azharv
Also, if you are flying for Part 107, you are not supposed to be contacting the tower to get authorization. You are supposed to use the FAA's website set up for this purpose or the LAANC system if applicable.

Then as noted above, you can get a custom DJI unlock by submitting your documentation.

Im reading stories from other pilots that have the authorizations and dji isn't recognizing them for whatever reason.
"I received an airspace waiver extension a while ago and DJI wouldn't extend my custom unlock zone because it wasn't "sufficient proof".
Uh, not sufficient proof? I gave you the original waiver AND the signed and dated extension from the FAA. I can legally fly, just not physically."

It doesnt appear LAANC is operational in all the areas i'd be flying it certainly isnt operational at the local airport by my home and I believe the FAA turn around time is what 90 days?

Also, if you are flying for Part 107, you are not supposed to be contacting the tower to get authorization. You are supposed to use the FAA's website set up for this purpose or the LAANC system if applicable.

Then as noted above, you can get a custom DJI unlock by submitting your documentation.

Depending where you are in the country some towers will give authorization under 107.41 but I do know the FAA put out a policy directing ATC facilities to do otherwise, but as stated with LAANC in place the need to contact the tower is eliminated.

No way around this one without the waiver. It’s a hassle I know. The more people that file the requests, the more efficient the FAA will get. That’s probably not a true statement, however, that’s what I am hoping. I am currently waiting on two waivers and I’m at 45 days. My biggest problem with this process so far is that they request a fly date on the application. How can I give you a date when I will fly if I can’t. If you figure anything out with this process, please inform the community.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31