GEO System Update Summary

GadgetGuy

Premium Pilot
Reaction score

Received this from DJI yesterday and thought everyone could benefit from the contents.

============

Dear Developers,

We are pleased to announce that DJI’s GEO system has come out of Beta. If you are not familiar with GEO, take a look at the GEO introduction page and GEO press release to find out more.

GEO is a geospatial information system that provides drone pilots with information that helps them make smart decisions about where and when to fly. It combines up-to-date airspace information, a warning and flight-restriction system, a mechanism for unlocking (self-authorizing) drone flights in locations where flight is permitted under certain conditions, and a minimally-invasive accountability mechanism.

To minimize the impact to operations of current users, GEO will be rolled out in stages across products, and initially will give users the option to revert back to the old NFZ system. Users that choose to do this are encouraged to reach out to DJI at [email protected] to let us know how they’ve been affected so we can take their concerns into account when the system becomes mandatory in the future.

Updated aircraft firmware and a new version of DJI GO are required to enable GEO. Impacted products and firmware are as follows:

- Phantom 3 Professional (with firmware:01.09.60.00)
- Phantom 3 Advanced (with firmware:01.09.60.00)
- Inspire 1 (with firmware:01.09.01.10)
- Inspire 1 Pro (with firmware:01.09.01.10)
- Inspire 1 Raw (with firmware:01.09.01.10)
- Phantom 4 (with all versions of firmware)

Products not in the list will continue using THE older NFZ system and will be included into GEO updates in the future.

Using GEO, if users find themselves trying to operate in a geofenced zone and they believe their operations are safe and authorized, then they have two options:
1) Unlock the geofenced zone (if it's unlockable) in DJI GO before using any third party DJI SDK based application.
To do this:
- Load DJI GO and go through the unlock process
- Close DJI GO and load the SDK application to begin normal operation
This will need to be done for each aircraft as well as each geofenced zone, and will persist until the authorization expires

2) Revert GEO to NFZ in DJI GO while connected to the aircraft
- This can be done in the General Settings page of DJI GO when the aircraft is in the country where GEO is in operation.
- This will need to be done for each aircraft, and will persist with aircraft power cycling.

Note: Most, but not all, geofenced zones are unlockable in the GEO system. It is recommended that users review the map of GEO zones (found here www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system/unlock) in advance of any important operations.

In the future we plan to release new GEO features as part of the SDK so users can use SDK applications for GEO unlocking instead of DJI GO.

As always, the DJI Dev Team is committed to improving your developer experience; feel free to report any bugs or questions you have on the DJI Developer Forums http://forum.dev.dji.com/en or email [email protected]. Please make sure that you are always working on the latest version of the DJI SDK by frequently checking the Downloads page https://developer.dji.com/mobile-sdk/downloads/.

Best regards,
DJI SDK Dev Team

they can keep there geo fence over in china don't need it in usa let faa make the rules not a china company

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
Looks like we can at least disable GEO for now, and use the NFZ instead.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
like I said leave geo in china don't need it here faa will regulate where to fly

Reactions: Vasekp
I have found that the zones that were unlock able two days ago are not unlock able now. Anyone else having problems unlocking zones?

For Example. I live near an airport. I flew at low level (50 feet or less) three days ago after unlocking the zone. NOW, I am not able to fly as it just tells me I live near a recreational airport and does not give me permission to authorize flight. In fact, since the new go app, I have never gotten the unlock message screen like I did before three days ago.

If you look at the FAQ, what its telling me I cannot do, I should be able to do. When I posted to a forum two days ago, I was told that I live near an airport and airports are NFZ's period. So you cannot unlock them. Prisons are unlock able (I understand this one) and everything else that was non-flyable before the GEO system...well is still unflyable.

So why the GEO system??

I think the unlock for an area is only good for three days, if I read it right. Maybe you need to 're-unlock it' ?? No clue. Just a guess.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Glad my bird still has old firmware running. Don't need this GEO nonsense. Everyone was told it would be more easy to fly by authorizing certain zones. Now it seems more nfz's have been put into play that are un-lockable. Best of all, we all were told GEO would be optional. I guess not for long. I have a feeling this will be made mandatory once the roll out to other countries is complete. I'm interested to see how those still running old non GEO firmware will be affected when this becomes mandatory.

I have found that the zones that were unlock able two days ago are not unlock able now. Anyone else having problems unlocking zones?

For Example. I live near an airport. I flew at low level (50 feet or less) three days ago after unlocking the zone. NOW, I am not able to fly as it just tells me I live near a recreational airport and does not give me permission to authorize flight. In fact, since the new go app, I have never gotten the unlock message screen like I did before three days ago.

If you look at the FAQ, what its telling me I cannot do, I should be able to do. When I posted to a forum two days ago, I was told that I live near an airport and airports are NFZ's period. So you cannot unlock them. Prisons are unlock able (I understand this one) and everything else that was non-flyable before the GEO system...well is still unflyable.

So why the GEO system??

Presumably you unlocked the outer (yellow) authorization zone around the airport. The inner (red) restricted zone cannot be unlocked. That system is working for me. Do you mean that the website is not lettting you authorize, or that having authorized the aircraft firmware is not letting you fly?

Probably. D-NAS is a spinoff of Airmap.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
Yea. I use airmap daily now since i live within 5 miles of BWI. So much easier than calling. They should integrate it into DJI Go I got excited when i saw that in the GEO video but im not willing to update my firmware yet to find out if it sends a notification via DNAS. Unfortunately there is no android version of AirMap currently so i have to use the webpage which works but has numerous bugs.

Received this from DJI yesterday and thought everyone could benefit from the contents.

============

Dear Developers,

We are pleased to announce that DJI’s GEO system has come out of Beta. If you are not familiar with GEO, take a look at the GEO introduction page and GEO press release to find out more.

GEO is a geospatial information system that provides drone pilots with information that helps them make smart decisions about where and when to fly. It combines up-to-date airspace information, a warning and flight-restriction system, a mechanism for unlocking (self-authorizing) drone flights in locations where flight is permitted under certain conditions, and a minimally-invasive accountability mechanism.

To minimize the impact to operations of current users, GEO will be rolled out in stages across products, and initially will give users the option to revert back to the old NFZ system. Users that choose to do this are encouraged to reach out to DJI at [email protected] to let us know how they’ve been affected so we can take their concerns into account when the system becomes mandatory in the future.

Updated aircraft firmware and a new version of DJI GO are required to enable GEO. Impacted products and firmware are as follows:

- Phantom 3 Professional (with firmware:01.09.60.00)
- Phantom 3 Advanced (with firmware:01.09.60.00)
- Inspire 1 (with firmware:01.09.01.10)
- Inspire 1 Pro (with firmware:01.09.01.10)
- Inspire 1 Raw (with firmware:01.09.01.10)
- Phantom 4 (with all versions of firmware)

Products not in the list will continue using THE older NFZ system and will be included into GEO updates in the future.

Using GEO, if users find themselves trying to operate in a geofenced zone and they believe their operations are safe and authorized, then they have two options:
1) Unlock the geofenced zone (if it's unlockable) in DJI GO before using any third party DJI SDK based application.
To do this:
- Load DJI GO and go through the unlock process
- Close DJI GO and load the SDK application to begin normal operation
This will need to be done for each aircraft as well as each geofenced zone, and will persist until the authorization expires

2) Revert GEO to NFZ in DJI GO while connected to the aircraft
- This can be done in the General Settings page of DJI GO when the aircraft is in the country where GEO is in operation.
- This will need to be done for each aircraft, and will persist with aircraft power cycling.

Note: Most, but not all, geofenced zones are unlockable in the GEO system. It is recommended that users review the map of GEO zones (found here www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system/unlock) in advance of any important operations.

In the future we plan to release new GEO features as part of the SDK so users can use SDK applications for GEO unlocking instead of DJI GO.

As always, the DJI Dev Team is committed to improving your developer experience; feel free to report any bugs or questions you have on the DJI Developer Forums http://forum.dev.dji.com/en or email [email protected]. Please make sure that you are always working on the latest version of the DJI SDK by frequently checking the Downloads page https://developer.dji.com/mobile-sdk/downloads/.

Best regards,
DJI SDK Dev Team
How do I download the Geo Zones on my new IPad, it’s on my old IPhone DJI Go app, but not on my new IPad,

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4