Gear Security, Ever have anyone try to steal your Phantom?

Weapons aren't an option here in the UK. I am acutely aware of the type of people around me depending on where I am. Flying in open spaces near cities, you'll usually come across someone who might be interested in your Phantom for the wrong reasons. I do have a plan, though:
If I'm flying in a risky area, I'll take off near my car. If the wrong type approach me, I'll whack my Phantom high up, get in my car with the RC, drive to a safer place, and pilot the Phantom to me. How well that would work, I am unsure. But, at least I'd still have my wallet, phone, and RC if I was unable to fly the Phantom to me.

Lets hope I never have to do that, though.

Sit in the car for a minute and if they harass you, use the phantom to get a good photo of them from 20 feet up before driving off.

I see a lot of people posting about carrying a gun, let's seriously consider how you're going to access it. If you're flying, are you going to toss your $600 remote to the ground, or do you use a tether around your neck?

The 20' rule applies if you're going to be attacked, probably more of a 30-40' rule if you have something in your hands already. It doesn't take much to change from "hey, that's neat, can I see it?" to knife/gun out "give it to me".

Whether they can land it or not doesn't matter to your safety. If they approach while you're still on the ground, you're still going to be behind the curve when they decide to get hostile.

I carry as well, just want others to know it's not a magical protection.

Great point, doc. It's also illegal in most places to use/threaten deadly for to protect property (e.g. Car, phantom, etc). This is why knowing more predictors of action is pretty important. This is also why calm is crucial. In most cases, I'll be landing and handing it over. Does that mean I would end it there? No idea. Opportunity may or may not present itself. Even so, I'd gladly pay another $1k to avoid killing someone. It is NOT easy to deal with no matter how badass you think you are. Even the most macho? "I'd shoot that SOB" types are mentally destroyed. I know this from experiences. It's truly traumatic, if if you win.

So back to OP, awareness of surrounding, public areas (bad guys don't like witnesses) and having others with you are best options.

Reactions: BlackOpsTeamster
When I was in San Juan was the only time I worried, a few on the beach were a little too interested and seemed to be following me with their eyes when I left. Thankfully I was on my way to Vieques. I guess thieves think it is easy to sell a Phantom for top dollar!
To second what doc said, give over the desired item and make sure you snap plenty of pictures into the app beforehand. Its better to go the way of peace with an eye to protection should they decide to go hostile anyway.

I see a lot of people posting about carrying a gun, let's seriously consider how you're going to access it. If you're flying, are you going to toss your $600 remote to the ground, or do you use a tether around your neck?

The 20' rule applies if you're going to be attacked, probably more of a 30-40' rule if you have something in your hands already. It doesn't take much to change from "hey, that's neat, can I see it?" to knife/gun out "give it to me".

Whether they can land it or not doesn't matter to your safety. If they approach while you're still on the ground, you're still going to be behind the curve when they decide to get hostile.

I carry as well, just want others to know it's not a magical protection.

Just wanted to clarify, I don't carry "because" I have a UAV. I carry because I never know when it may be needed and because it's second nature to me. Since I do carry, I am more situationally-aware of my soundings because what I have against my hip is lethal and I take that very, very seriously. In fact, in my state I cannot carry while at a public park so I lock it up in my vehicle first. Fortunately I have never been in a situation that required me to pull my weapon and I hope to hell I never am. And as Diver said, I certainly wouldn't even consider taking a life over not only a drone but any personal property. Only if my, or someone else's life was in immediate danger and there was no other option would I even consider lethal force. With that said, should I decide to make that decision I've been trained to not hesitate, (muscle memory). Doc also makes a good point about the 20 foot rule. I thought that was just so much BS until my friend who's a retired officer and teaches marshal arts showed and demonstrated it to me first hand. He's a rather big guy so his "hands on" demonstrations have a lasting impression... It's not BS.. LOL
Just my 2 cents.....;)
BOT

Last edited:
Just wanted to clarify, I don't carry "because" I have a UAV. I carry because I never know when it may be needed and because it's second nature to me. Since I do carry, I am more situationally-aware of my soundings because what I have against my hip is lethal and I take that very, very seriously. In fact, in my state I cannot carry while at a public park so I lock it up in my vehicle first. Fortunately I have never been in a situation that required me to pull my weapon and I hope to hell I never am. And as Diver said, I certainly wouldn't even consider taking a life over not only a drone but any personal property. Only if my, or someone else's life was in immediate danger and there was no other option would I even consider lethal force.
Just my 2 cents.....;)
BOT

That's the bottom line. Unless you want to spend a long time picking up the soap.

It varies by state, in Fl, if someone is trying to get into your car while you are in it, that is the same as your house.
It would be a bad decision. Problem is, people are making bad decisions all the time. Ya just never know.

I have just had a closer read through this thread, do people seriously carry guns to protect themselves on a daily basis in the states?

Nope, not to protect "just" myself but to hopefully prevent me and/or anyone else around me from becoming a victim and statistic. Maybe back in the 40's or 50's I wouldn't of felt the need but in this day and age? You bet.

BOT

I took my Sherman tank out with me last flight, unfortunately the heavy metal object mucked up my compass and I lost my drone, while I was out looking for it someone stole my tank.

Hope you had a tracker on the tank.

I have just had a closer read through this thread, do people seriously carry guns to protect themselves on a daily basis in the states?

Very seriously. There is no other way. ;)

Not exactly. I carry to protect my family and those around me.

Do you watch the news? Criminals are everywhere and there are jihadists who want to cause terror in our towns.

You are free to abdicate your responsibility to protect those you love, I'll carry a gun.

I avoid flying in sketchy locations.

Hah. So crime only happens in "sketchy" areas?

My wife was nearly abducted in a nice neighborhood. My friend was robbed at gunpoint at the hospital. My mom was robbed at gunpoint at McD's in a nice area of town. My parents home was broken into in a nice area of town.

Good luck avoiding the "sketch"

Reactions: BlackOpsTeamster
It's unfortunate that responsible gun owners get a bad rap based on what people see in the "news".

Last edited:
Nope, not to protect "just" myself but to hopefully prevent me and/or anyone else around me from becoming a victim and statistic. Maybe back in the 40's or 50's I wouldn't of felt the need but in this day and age? You bet.

BOT
I try not to fill my head with too much of what the news has to say, but I can honestly say I have never felt threatened by anything in my life, (I am near 60). This is going slightly off topic, but stay safe folks.

Reactions: RiZe-TommyGun
I try not to fill my head with too much of what the news has to say, but I can honestly say I have never felt threatened by anything in my life, (I am near 60). This is going slightly off topic, but stay safe folks.

As the saying goes, walk a mile in someone else's shoes. I've been an LEO for a long time. I've seen many situations in which I wish the person has a gun and killed some bastard that did horrible things. American society can be just as ugly as it can be awesome. Me carrying can improve both while not being a detriment to either (if it were needed). Moreover, no one will ever know I have it unless it's a life/death situation. Want my car? Here's the keys. Want my money/watch? Here is go. Try harming my family, well...let's see how that plays out.

That's why I said earlier, I'd gladly give away my phantom (and report it stolen) before I ever consider presenting a weapon.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1